Are Texas and Notre Dame in Danger of Missing Tournament. | The Boneyard

Are Texas and Notre Dame in Danger of Missing Tournament.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score

Notre Dame has the tougher schedule and might be in a more dangerous position to miss the tournament. However, Muffet is a great coach and they'll probably win more games then they lose in the ACC and that should be enough to get them in the tournament.

Reaction Score
Ridiculously early to say. The last season Texas made the final four, the team lost at BYU and at New Mexico in its first four games. Certainly, the losses put on some pressure perhaps to win a couple the team is expected to lose.

Reaction Score
In my opinion not yet. If ND can get their 2 injured players back playing well during conference season, they will be fine.

TX on the other hand is in some real trouble if they can't get some offensive flow. As of right now, they are looking at several conference losses with the way they are playing. Still early though so wouldn't count them out yet.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Bracketology should be banned before January.

But yes, Texas is in danger of missing the tournament if they don't start playing better, on both offense and defense. Aston has said she considers their lack of on-ball defense to be an even bigger problem than their offense right now, and she has a point. You know you're not stopping the ball when you allow a team 83 points on only 7 assists.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
If ND is on the bubble, they will figure out a way to get the NCAA to get the number of teams increased from 64. ;)

...in my undergrad days, we asked Ara (Parseghian) to stop the rain, so...hey...why not? :rolleyes: :)

Switching to more earthly matters, if Center Mik Vaughn can come back, that would be a major help going into the ACC part of the schedule. And if Abby Prohaska is cleared of the clot issues (and that's a big "if"), even better. It's amazing how much her grit and wherewithal are missed...and she has a pretty good mid-range jumper, too.

Plebe

Reaction Score
...in my undergrad days, we asked Ara (Parseghian) to stop the rain, so...hey...why not? :rolleyes: :)

Switching to more earthly matters, if Center Mik Vaughn can come back, that would be a major help going into the ACC part of the schedule. And if Abby Prohaska is cleared of the clot issues (and that's a big "if"), even better. It's amazing how much her grit and wherewithal are missed...and she has a pretty good mid-range jumper, too.
I have not the slightest concern (or hope?) that ND will miss the tournament. Vaughn's only out 4-6 weeks, would mean she's back mid-December at latest. The difference with her return will be night and day. ND has no other true post player and her absence is forcing Brunelle to play out of position. If UConn had to play without Olivia and didn't have its 3 returning starters, they would be struggling just as much.

ND is a system team and much of their offense relies on timing and rhythm, all of which takes experience to do well. By January this will a totally different team.

Reaction Score
Bracketology should be banned before January.

But yes, Texas is in danger of missing the tournament if they don't start playing better, on both offense and defense. Aston has said she considers their lack of on-ball defense to be an even bigger problem than their offense right now, and she has a point. You know you're not stopping the ball when you allow a team 83 points on only 7 assists.
Do away with the polls also they serve no real purpose

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Discussion is bad, bad, bad! Let’s also do away with forums and the internet-bad, bad, bad! :rolleyes:
Polls invite discussion and offer views that should be evolving. Going ballistic over placement or lack of placement is where the line should drawn.;)

Reaction Score
Luckily, none of the 'TAKE AWAYS IS UP TO US" . Soon we'd be down to 3 words, Uconn, Geno, Basketball--and you can't created an argument with only them.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame will make the tournament. I think Aston is as sorry a coach as Warlick--completely dominated by Baylor during her tenure and lost to Warlick multiple times.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame will make the tournament. I think Aston is as sorry a coach as Warlick--completely dominated by Baylor during her tenure and lost to Warlick multiple times.

But both heck of recruiters. Too bad they can't coach or develop talent.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
But both heck of recruiters. Too bad they can't coach or develop talent.

For sure. She managed to get Celeste Taylor all the way from the north shore of Long Island. And Taylor could've gone to a lot of schools. However, I'll take Ann -- oops, Muffet -- any ol' time on the sideline.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Notre Dame will be fine. Muffet is one of the best coaches in the game. They are going through a roster turnover and dealing with inexperience. It happens to all teams at some point, but it works itself out when you have a coach of Muffet's caliber.

On the other hand, Texas is unbelievably bad for having the talent they do. Aston is just not a good coach.

Reaction Score
Well, looks like ND may go down to Florida Gulf Coast. Is it too early to answer this question after ND starts with a 4-3 OOC record?

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
That Tennessee win at ND is looking less impressive by the day. When ND only beat Fordham by 5, I knew they had a long season ahead.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Well, looks like ND may go down to Florida Gulf Coast. Is it too early to answer this question after ND starts with a 4-3 OOC record?
I'd love to believe otherwise, but Notre Dame will easily make the NCAA tournament. They look bad now, but they still managed a win over Michigan and it's not like they're losing to scrubs. FGCU is a good team. And once they get Vaughn back they'll look like a different team.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I'd love to believe otherwise, but Notre Dame will easily make the NCAA tournament. They look bad now, but they still managed a win over Michigan and it's not like they're losing to scrubs. FGCU is a good team. And once they get Vaughn back they'll look like a different team.
...but we can always hope can’t we? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Has anyone played a tougher schedule so far than ND? If they had Vaughn and Prohaska, I'd bet that they would maybe have 1 loss instead of 3. If both of them can come back healthy, they should be a top 25 team again by the end of the regular season.

Peoples and Brunelle are both really good freshman. The pressure of being the top scoring option for ND has been impacting Brunelle's play, but it will help her in the long-run. I can't help but wonder what she would look like at UConn. Probably a starter at the 4.

Texas is a dumpster fire. If Muffett and Aston swapped, I bet Muffett could make a really formidable team. Aston would run ND straight to the ground. She's not a Xs and Is coach, or good at developing talent. Why do recruits want to play for her?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Texas is a dumpster fire. If Muffett and Aston swapped, I bet Muffett could make a really formidable team. Aston would run ND straight to the ground. She's not a Xs and Is coach, or good at developing talent. Why do recruits want to play for her?

i was gonna talk some junk about the Texas situation .... then I looked at my avatar....... remembered who the Duke coach is...... so I'll keep quiet and head to the kitchen for a ham sandwich

Reaction Score
Has anyone played a tougher schedule so far than ND? If they had Vaughn and Prohaska, I'd bet that they would maybe have 1 loss instead of 3. If both of them can come back healthy, they should be a top 25 team again by the end of the regular season.

I wonder if Charli Collier is having any second thoughts about not signing with UConn?

Reaction Score
I wonder if Charli Collier is having any second thoughts about not signing with UConn?
She should be. Geno would have challenged her, and made her a great player. I understand her thought process, and wanting to be closer to home after losing her dad. These are kids after all. She made her right choice for her life. Her family is close to her. Her basketball potential and life is not going to be fulfilled there however. I feel for the kid. She wanted to be close to her family, at the expense of losing the opportunity to be amazing.

Reaction Score
Reypl21 said:

" . . .Texas is a dumpster fire. . . . She's [Aston] not a Xs and Is coach, or good at developing talent. Why do recruits want to play for her?"
The hyperbole just keeps expanding. A dumpster fire? Now that Holly Warlick has left Tennessee, I guess message board fans need a new target. No point in attempting a reasonable response here. A lot of folks are just on the bandwagon now.

I do not know about that. I did, however, watch Charlie in a recent interview during which she appeared genuine as she expressed confidence in the team and her "love" (her word) for her teammates. The interviewer did not fish the comments. Additionally, Collier is showing a lot of improvement this year and Joyner Holmes is showing more maturity both in her game and as a young adult. Both players are averaging double doubles. Holmes also is averaging more than 3 assists per game, many of which are from passes to Collier. By all accounts, including interviews with the players, Holmes and Collier greatly enjoy practicing and playing together.

"Dumpster fire" or not, the Texas locker room appears happier than last year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom