Are Geno's coaching methods outdated? | The Boneyard

Are Geno's coaching methods outdated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This is something I have thought about for quite a while now. One of the main things that Geno and former players have admitted is that his coaching strategies (being hard on players to get the best out of them) is one of the things that has made UCONN alum so successful when going pro. However over time, the way that players have been raised when they're younger is different, players are a lot 'softer' now and most people can't handle that kind of coaching method.

Simon Sinek did a great talk about it that you can find on YouTube if you search 'Simon Sinek millennials' (it's about 15-16 minutes long), now although that talk was about CEO's of companies not knowing how to treat young employees, I feel the message is very similar. The way that this generation has been raised is very different to previous generations, so throwing them into a completely new environment with a coach that is hard on them just is not going to work for most kids. Although Geno has proved himself to be one of best coaches to ever coach women's basketball, I can't help but feel like over time, the way that kids need to be coached has evolved but Geno's coaching style has not.

Reaction Score
Games like this one will add credibility that thesis. UCONN had nothing going for them emotionally. They had nothing going for them physically. It was like chaos out there. GT had plays and executed. UCONN just passed the ball around in desperation and finally the clock ran down, so the ball was heaved by someone Our defense failed regularly. This used to be a dependable strength. Saturday is too soon. Another beat down like this, and the walls start to collapse. We may need t bite the bullet and just start the kids ....Can't be Piath I guess because he must be in academic trouble. But start DeBerry, Mir and Caroline. Keep Olivia and Williams. Westbrook can be bak-up. No need to see Dorka or Williams. Just build with youth. This season is dead until everyone comes back.

Reaction Score
This is something I have thought about for quite a while now. One of the main things that Geno and former players have admitted is that his coaching strategies (being hard on players to get the best out of them) is one of the things that has made UCONN alum so successful when going pro. However over time, the way that players have been raised when they're younger is different, players are a lot 'softer' now and most people can't handle that kind of coaching method.

Simon Sinek did a great talk about it that you can find on YouTube if you search 'Simon Sinek millennials' (it's about 15-16 minutes long), now although that talk was about CEO's of companies not knowing how to treat young employees, I feel the message is very similar. The way that this generation has been raised is very different to previous generations, so throwing them into a completely new environment with a coach that is hard on them just is not going to work for most kids. Although Geno has proved himself to be one of best coaches to ever coach women's basketball, I can't help but feel like over time, the way that kids need to be coached has evolved but Geno's coaching style has not.

You know UCONN beat SC last year in a 1-2 matchup, right? You know in the E8 UCONN beat Baylor - a team coached by the great Kim Mulkey, right? You know the prior E8, they faced perennial power and great coach in Louisville and they beat them, right? These games don’t count?

You realize that last year UCONN lost the junior, 1st team A/A, from the prior year in Megan Walker, right? What were some of UCONN's weaknesses last year? Outside shooting and tough rebounding? And what were Walker’s strengths? You don’t think Paige could have gotten her open for many 3's?

Can you tell me over the past 20 years how many teams other than UCONN, lost their best player which specifically would be a 1st team A/A, and then the very next year went on to win a championship?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think in respect to Geno it is a combination of factors. Geno is a systems coach who's system used to produce very good professional players. That reputation worked to get players who had professional aspirations to buy into his system. A few thngs have changed since then. Players come to college with very little developmental upside left. They have spent most of their years since middle school working year round with individual trainers and playing on both HIgh School and AAU teams. Many are close aready to burn out and are not that enthused about being in high pressure program like Geno runs. They also see the recent WNBA success rate of non UConn players increasing. Stewart is the last really high impact WNBA player who came out of UConn.

There is also the "chicken and the egg" question surrounding the UConn system. How much of the UConn players success is because of the program and how much is it because the program started with the cream of the recruiting crop?

What made the UConn system effective was because the players bought into it 100%. They had a desire to get better and if they trusted the program it would happen. Stevens was an example of the new type of player coming out of High School. This really surprised Geno. He expected her to give the program one more year to develop her post skill set. I think her leaving was a long term mistake on her part, but she was satisfied with her level. I think their are more and more players coming out of high school with that attitude.

The do not see a reason to submit to a challenging program like UConn and instead choose other programs. The level of individual development players used to get in college programs they already have. Basically, exept for post players most have little upside left. What they learn in college is not " How" but "When". Ironically that is what players used to learn in high school, but now they have individual skills but can not integrate them in to a team concept, so that is what college coaches try to focus on.

It has been AAU programs that have created that problem. They are basiclly pickup teams of talented players that do not get enough time together to practice team concepts. Unfortunately AAU has replaced high school teams as the new model for players. It makes things harder for college coaches that want to teach team concepts. And the team concept is the the foundation for the UConn system. The new products of AAU ball do not really buy into the concept.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Didn't take very long for the naysayers to come out.

To the OP, over 30+ years of teaching youth tells me your source is wrong as is your conclusion.

And, you completely ignore the fact that this team is only a couple of days removed from loosing their leader for an extended period of time. Nope -- no go on your concept.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score

Yes

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I don't think Geno's schemes or techniques are the issue, it is that he is not equipped to deal with kids who do not have a real thick skin. When thinks go bad for a player, he usually does the tough love route with a heavy dose of sarcasm sometimes mixed in. And previous players on previous teams reacted well to it but it seems this is not the way anymore. Mix it in with a level of pressure due to UConn's history but lack of recent NC's and it can be debilitating.

And I will throw something else into the mix. It must at some level be deflating to players who thought they were elite to have a Paige Bueckers show up and 1 hour into her first practice becomes the best player by a wide margin,
Oh, and add a mechanically perfect 3 pt shooter to the mix with Azzi Fudd and what can the less than great 3pt shooters we have feel about that. Even Caroline looks better than our senior guards in regards to movement and shooting and came up big in the ND game

And what is Geno to do when CW airballs the first 3pt shot and gets the meany crowd to serenade her with "Airball" . Yes, we need psychologists who can scaffold some confidence in our senior players. Even Amari looked confident and sharp.

And how does a kid like Aliyah who's game is physicality forget how to be physical or grip the ball. No coach can solve that

Anyway, loved watching my new team DePaul and my new coach Doug Bruno. :oops::oops:

Siestakeyfan

Sailing at Block Island Race Week
Reaction Score

Good post MANY things have changed not all positive

Reaction Score
I don't think Geno's schemes or techniques are the issue, it is that he is not equipped to deal with kids who do not have a real thick skin. When thinks go bad for a player, he usually does the tough love route with a heavy dose of sarcasm sometimes mixed in. And previous players on previous teams reacted well to it but it seems this is not the way anymore. Mix it in with a level of pressure due to UConn's history but lack of recent NC's and it can be debilitating.

And I will throw something else into the mix. It must at some level be deflating to players who thought they were elite to have a Paige Bueckers show up and 1 hour into her first practice becomes the best player by a wide margin,
Oh, and add a mechanically perfect 3 pt shooter to the mix with Azzi Fudd and what can the less than great 3pt shooters we have feel about that. Even Caroline looks better than our senior guards in regards to movement and shooting and came up big in the ND game

And what is Geno to do when CW airballs the first 3pt shot and gets the meany crowd to serenade her with "Airball" . Yes, we need psychologists who can scaffold some confidence in our senior players. Even Amari looked confident and sharp.

And how does a kid like Aliyah who's game is physicality forget how to be physical or grip the ball. No coach can solve that

Anyway, loved watching my new team DePaul and my new coach Doug Bruno. :oops::oops:
That is what I mean in terms of him not being equipped with kids who don't have a thick skin. With someone like Stewie, DT and even Paige he can coach the way he normally does and it get a reaction out of them and they take it up another level. But most kids aren't equipped to deal with that coaching style but Geno doesn't tailor how he coaches just because certain players can't handle it (nor should he) so the fact that kids are evolving to be less equipped to deal with harsh coaches and Geno's coaching style isn't evolving to suit that seems like a long term problem to me

Reaction Score
You know UCONN beat SC last year in a 1-2 matchup, right? You know in the E8 UCONN beat Baylor - a team coached by the great Kim Mulkey, right? You know the prior E8, they faced perennial power and great coach in Louisville and they beat them, right? These games don’t count?

You realize that last year UCONN lost the junior, 1st team A/A, from the prior year in Megan Walker, right? What were some of UCONN's weaknesses last year? Outside shooting and tough rebounding? And what were Walker’s strengths? You don’t think Paige could have gotten her open for many 3's?

Can you tell me over the past 20 years how many teams other than UCONN, lost their best player which specifically would be a 1st team A/A, and then the very next year went on to win a championship?
I am aware of all of these things, I'm just saying that if you look at previous years, Geno's coaching style got a positive reaction out of the majority (if not all of the players) but this year especially and in glimpses last year, the only person who seems to react positively to his 'harsh' coaching methods is Paige. So when she's not on the court and they're in a slump, if he is harsh on them and coaches the way he is known for coaching, he's not going to get a positive reaction.

Reaction Score
If he has to placate the players the way teachers do in schools, he will likely retire. I would.

Reaction Score
So 1 game in the last 28 years convinced you?
And the vampires are coming out of the woodwork. We must have lost a game.
To clarify, I am a UCONN fan and in no way am I saying losing one game is a huge deal. However, I just don't see any real motivation from the players for the most part. In previous years, if the team were in a slump and coach called a timeout, whatever he said motivated them to go back on the court and bring the game back. This year and in parts of last year the only person coming out of timeouts with that added motivation was Paige and then when she inevitably got the team back into the game, they all found the motivation simply from domination again. So in games like last night when Paige can't play, there looks like there is absolutely no motivation. Nike looked more motivated from the bench than any of the players that stepped on the court did.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
That is what I mean in terms of him not being equipped with kids who don't have a thick skin. With someone like Stewie, DT and even Paige he can coach the way he normally does and it get a reaction out of them and they take it up another level. But most kids aren't equipped to deal with that coaching style but Geno doesn't tailor how he coaches just because certain players can't handle it (nor should he) so the fact that kids are evolving to be less equipped to deal with harsh coaches and Geno's coaching style isn't evolving to suit that seems like a long term problem to me
But you do think the players coming into the program know the coaching style and they truly believe that they can take it, are happy being pushed and get better for it.

Unfortunately, not everyone really knows themselves at a young age and how they react under real pressure and competition and Geno does not seem able to find a softer approach when needed.

And from Geno's perspective, I remember Geno saying about Paige that she just has a feel for the game and that is god given. Some players never get a feel for the game and I suppose that can be true but then you need to simplify, simplify, simplify I suppose.,

What do I know. Just so frustrating and concerned about the future.

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
Oh My Goodness... Really? You guys are acting as though Geno is clueless when in fact he has been telling us all along, without Paige's presence this team is lacking... And have been urging them to give her more help. Sure these kids all have skills, but so far none of them have proven they can step up consistantly to carry their teamates when one or two of them have an off game. It pains me to say but there is just no killer instinct in most of these kids so far, they are going through the motions like robots and expecting to win just because it is UConn..

In some ways Paige's ability to score has been bailing out this team and covering up these issues.. They all need to be more confident that they can score when their team needs a basket, with or without Paige being on the floor.

Don't get me wrong they are some coaching decisions that have left me scratching my head as well, for instance Last night with 2 minutes to go we are jacking up three's instead of going to the rim and at least trying to get fouled and or stop the clock, we basically took all the pressure of their team by settling for the 3 ball and coming up empty handed possesion after possesion. But what do I know.. :)

I only saw the ending of the game, so I have to rewatch to see how the entire game went

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Oh My Goodness... Really? You guys are acting as though Geno is clueless when in fact he has been telling us all along, without Paige's presence this team is lacking... And have been urging them to give her more help. Sure these kids all have skills, but so far none of them have proven they can step up consistantly to carry their teamates when one or two of them have an off game. It pains me to say but there is just no killer instinct in most of these kids so far, they are going through the motions like robots and expecting to win just because it is UConn..

In some ways Paige's ability to score has been bailing out this team and covering up these issues.. They all need to be more confident that they can score when their team needs a basket, with or without Paige being on the floor.

Don't get me wrong they are some coaching decisions that have left me scratching my head as well, for instance Last night with 2 minutes to go we are jacking up three's instead of going to the rim and at least trying to get fouled and or stop the clock, we basically took all the pressure of their team by settling for the 3 ball and coming up empty handed possesion after possesion. But what do I know.. :)

I only saw the ending of the game, so I have to rewatch to see how the entire game went
You want to rewatch? :confused:

Reaction Score
OMG!!! I am amazed how quickly SPOILED UCONN FANS have come out with daggers after ONE LOSS. WE have a group of talented YOUNG women and the GREATEST BB Coach EVER and you bail on them. Shame on the spoiled fans who I will assure you have a LOT less knowledge about the game than both our women and GENO.

Reaction Score

I think there is some truth to this, but it doesn't explain GA Tech. Geno has been forthright about how it's harder to coach today's players. Yet, most of his recruits say they choose UConn because he'll push them to be their best. I love Nika Muhl's attitude, but I'm not sure all the players on the team match her intensity or effort. I also think Azzi would have made a big difference. If UConn hit a few consecutive threes, it may have turned the team and game around, especially at the start of the 4th Q.

Reaction Score
I don't know about all of this. Would General Patton be the great General today that he was then. No. Not in this day and age and the politics wrapped around that. But, he was a great General. After the war, peace killed him.

So what is it with UConn. Geno. Don't think so. I think that this team wants to succeed so bad that it has paralyze itself. The team has lost it's mind and Geno and the staff need to re-assemble and re-group in order to deal with this.

This team is filled with 2 superstars and a wealth of above average star players. They need to shake off this game and start playing the game for fun and having a good time like they did before UConn. The mystique of UConn has gotten in their blood to harden their arteries and has prevented them from performing the way they should. They need confidence and they need to be tough. Geno needs to be tough and encouraging.

Too bad Brianna, Sue and Diana could'nt come back and help practice with these kids.

Reaction Score
Nah it's the kids. Geno will say in public that "he's got to find a way" or something something, but Geno's methods seemed to work fine on recent grads KLS, Napheesa, Crystal, and even Kyla, the last group of recruits that seemed to get it no matter their talent level. Geno's methods still work, but you need a specific type of person, and I think that has always been the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom