April Recruiting Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

April Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I've mentioned that before........others here have pointed out that UConn has three female coaches working with Geno..........no way to know if that will meet her comfort level.........
You never know about kids. But she was fairly specific, saying she wouldn’t mind if there were males on the staff, strongly implying she was interested in a female head coach, her assumption that a woman head coach understands other females better than men. Not necessarily across the board I hate to tell the young woman.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You never know about kids. But she was fairly specific, saying she wouldn’t mind if there were males on the staff, strongly implying she was interested in a female head coach, her assumption that a woman head coach understands other females better than men. Not necessarily across the board I hate to tell the young woman.
At the end of that video Kitts pulled the playing for a female coach back by saying "having females on staff" which UCONN certainly does. The rest of the video makes me believe Kitts would excel at UCONN. For example Kitts speaks about when shots are not falling doing other things such as rebounding and defense to help your team win. That alone would get her a UCONN/Geno's stamp of approval.
I have no idea where Kitts stands with UCONN but she is a similar player to both Booker and Toomey- both of who have already been offered by UCONN. It is quite possible that the UCONN staff is prioritizing towards the offered players Booker and Toomey. Kitts must be aware of the UCONN offers and take this into consideration. If and when Kitts puts out a list and UCONN is still on it I would take that a a very good sign for UCONN. If UCONN is not on Kitts list I would certainly understand.

Reaction Score
Sometimes I wonder if elite programs like UConn should adopt a slightly broader approach in light of hyper-competitive recruiting landscape & the best players entertaining so many schools in consideration.

Not quite Louisville model of offering everybody but what if UConn offered Kitts, Booker, Toomey, Donovan, etc. & then just rescinded offers whenever 1-2 existing committed? May apply some pressure to each recruit while not missing out on the one(s)— Kitts in this case— that could be/is forging relationships elsewhere while UConn eggs in only select, finite baskets. Risky approach, again considering present environment.

Days of UConn having head-and-shoulder advantage with these kids is over, I’m afraid. They are now one of a handful of desirable schools, & that list is growing.

As I write this, though, then again we have Transfer Portal as annual means of filling in roster with seasoned players to fit need(s), with more tape & maturity to leverage in making such decisions.

Reaction Score
Btw, I caught perhaps a self-centered undertone in Kitts’ interview insofar as after highlighting that she tries to do other stuff on floor besides score she said it “makes me look good”.

Credit her talent/game, work ethic, relentlessness, & self-confidence, but her ego seems like a possible question mark to me. Maybe too harsh, granted, but I’m sensitive to me-first players when adding to the ultimate team-oriented WCB program.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

Do anyone knows if UConn have interest in Toby Fournier?

It is my understanding that Toby has not developed her basketball skills enough (beyond the ability to dunk) to be considered a UCONN level recruit. Maybe @cancontent can confirm or deny this.

Reaction Score
Sometimes I wonder if elite programs like UConn should adopt a slightly broader approach in light of hyper-competitive recruiting landscape & the best players entertaining so many schools in consideration.

Not quite Louisville model of offering everybody but what if UConn offered Kitts, Booker, Toomey, Donovan, etc. & then just rescinded offers whenever 1-2 existing committed? May apply some pressure to each recruit while not missing out on the one(s)— Kitts in this case— that could be/is forging relationships elsewhere while UConn eggs in only select, finite baskets. Risky approach, again considering present environment.

Days of UConn having head-and-shoulder advantage with these kids is over, I’m afraid. They are now one of a handful of desirable schools, & that list is growing.

As I write this, though, then again we have Transfer Portal as annual means of filling in roster with seasoned players to fit need(s), with more tape & maturity to leverage in making such decisions.
I'm sure many coaches operate this way and it's certainly their prerogative to do so. JMO but I doubt that Auriemma does or would. He is adamant that every kid he offers has to fit his criteria for his program. And a big part of that is attitude and work ethic. Looking at the current and past rosters it's clear that talent is not the dominant determinator. He builds a roster as best he can, not an all star team. And he'll pass on top talent if he doesn't think they'll fit, he just won't compromise. That's why I doubt that he offered Janiah Barker, who along with Mikaylah Williams is arguably the top talent in the 2023 class. It works pretty well and saves a lot of headaches that we're seeing at many programs.
Another point might be this. Using the bolded idea and names you gave just as example, he would surely have those 4 prioritized in an order. And let's say he needs 2 from that group and #1 is far and away the best of the group. #2 and #3 jump up and accept immediately. He's put himself in position to not only lose his #1, but risk it getting out that he's yanking accepted offers if #1 decides to come a month later. Every other coach out there would love having that tool to use in negative recruiting. I can't see him risking that.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

You sound very much like @Charliebball circa 2018. UCONN has cast a wider net in the past few years and perhaps is evaluating prospects earlier that in the past. However, this conception of offering everyone and then rescinding offers is not the way UCONN WBB operates. Even with more UCONN offers coming out and perhaps earlier the evaluation process remains extremely selective. UCONN will never apply "pressure" to a recruit as long as Geno is at the helm because he is just too stubborn and prideful & I mean that in the most complementary way possible.
Geno vision is also distinctly different that ours. In a prior post I wrote that Kitts might be similar to Booker and Toomey. Geno is not opposed to bringing in players that "appear" to be duplicative. For example Kia Nurse, Gabby Williams and Sadie Edwards and Courtney Ekmark was a class of 4 guards which was followed by a class with 3 wing players in KLS, Napheesa Collier and De'Jane Boykin. Even in the most recent class one could argue based on our vision that Saylor and Caroline were duplicative players. In short Kitts and Booker might very well end up being offered by UCON. If that happens it will not be because of pressure, or fear of losing one or the other. It will have been because UCONN has done the evaluation and determined that both are worth of a UCONN offer and there is a reasonable chance that they will accept the UCONN offers.

Reaction Score
You sound very much like @Charliebball circa 2018. UCONN has cast a wider net in the past few years and perhaps is evaluating prospects earlier that in the past. However, this conception of offering everyone and then rescinding offers is not the way UCONN WBB operates. Even with more UCONN offers coming out and perhaps earlier the evaluation process remains extremely selective. UCONN will never apply "pressure" to a recruit as long as Geno is at the helm because he is just too stubborn and prideful & I mean that in the most complementary way possible.
Geno vision is also distinctly different that ours. In a prior post I wrote that Kitts might be similar to Booker and Toomey. Geno is not opposed to bringing in players that "appear" to be duplicative. For example Kia Nurse, Gabby Williams and Sadie Edwards and Courtney Ekmark was a class of 4 guards which was followed by a class with 3 wing players in KLS, Napheesa Collier and De'Jane Boykin. Even in the most recent class one could argue based on our vision that Saylor and Caroline were duplicative players. In short Kitts and Booker might very well end up being offered by UCON. If that happens it will not be because of pressure, or fear of losing one or the other. It will have been because UCONN has done the evaluation and determined that both are worth of a UCONN offer and there is a reasonable chance that they will accept the UCONN offers.
Guilty as charged but that was based on some less than stellar recruiting results........UConn has been on a hot streak in the past couple of classes so I'm not complaining.........yet........;)

Reaction Score
It is my understanding that Toby has not developed her basketball skills enough (beyond the ability to dunk) to be considered a UCONN level recruit. Maybe @cancontent can confirm or deny this.

I've heard rumours UConn may have reached out, maybe out of respect to the Crestwood Prep coach is my guess. I've heard Oregon has been interested along with Iowa State.

She's still raw as she only started basketball at 13/14 years old. Compared to Prosper, she's still has quite a ways to go.

There are games where she's wow, but she also has games where you scratch your head. Will be interesting to see if she makes the U17 squad this year and plays against top international competition.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Key recruiting take away from the game last night: UCONN has acute needs for a more physical post presence and better perimeter defender that maybe best filled by Breya Cunningham (post presence) and Sahara Williams (perimeter defender) in the 2023 class for the long term. The short term answer might have to come from the transfer portal (Kennedy Brown) and Priscilla Williams and/or Abby Meyers.

Reaction Score
Key recruiting take away from the game last night: UCONN has acute needs for a more physical post presence and better perimeter defender that maybe best filled by Breya Cunningham (post presence) and Sahara Williams (perimeter defender) in the 2023 class for the long term. The short term answer might have to come from the transfer portal (Kennedy Brown) and Priscilla Williams and/or Abby Meyers.
Do you think we need post players because of what we currently have on the roster aren't enough to contend or is it more about battling against South Carolina.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Do you think we need post players because of what we currently have on the roster aren't enough to contend or is it more about battling against South Carolina.
I’ll admit it is mostly about beating South Carolina. Boston will graduate in a year but Cardoso might remain. I just think it is better to have that type of player on the roster vs not having one. Evina and Caroline trying to guard Cardoso and Boston in the post last night is not something we should be looking to EVER again. Ugly! Remember UCONN not having anyone to match up against Nylassa Smith the last few years also.

Reaction Score
A big key for UCONN is ot not have as many injuires too.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
what is the latest on Ciera Toomey
Confirmed ACL injury cost her a PA state championship run. She is still holding a UCONN offer. Last visit was to UNC(?) and there might be other schools in the mix.
ACL surgery in mid-March might mean she is back in time for her senior HS season in November & just in time for her commit to UCONN during the early signing period.

Reaction Score
I’ll admit it is mostly about beating South Carolina. Boston will graduate in a year but Cardoso might remain. I just think it is better to have that type of player on the roster vs not having one. Evina and Caroline trying to guard Cardoso and Boston in the post last night is not something we should be looking to EVER again. Ugly! Remember UCONN not having anyone to match up against Nylassa Smith the last few years also.
Thanks for helping understand and I would agree to with you to some degree. My only problem is Geno willing to highlight post players in his offense.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Thanks for helping understand and I would agree to with you to some degree. My only problem is Geno willing to highlight post players in his offense.
Without a doubt! Think about all the UCONN post players that have been featured in the UCONN offense and have become NPOY. Lobo, Wolters, Tina, Maya, Stewie. The AAs Bascom, Dolson, Collier , Tuck, & Williams.

Reaction Score
That's not the problem. We couldn't rebound. Defend well enough down there vs SC. Don't need to "highlight" a low post game. Just be decent.
You have to have low post offense. It puts pressure on the Defense. Our problems against SC was defending bigs and then trying to play, help defense. That was the entire countries problem against SC.
No you don't highlight the post but you most certainly use them. To many times I see Bigs posting hard and no look inside.

Reaction Score
You have to have low post offense. It puts pressure on the Defense. Our problems against SC was defending bigs and then trying to play, help defense. That was the entire countries problem against SC.

UCONN was at its best when we tr
But it doesn't have to be "a highlight." It wasn’t "A highlight" leading up to the Finals - so one team with extreme size while UCONN is banged up and we need to scrap everything that has happened over the past many years?

By the way, on another thread AGStatesman is saying we need a better defender in the low post more than anything.

Maybe a step back by fans is needed and realize we were banged up lost to a better team and did get to the Finals.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
I posted this on the general recruiting board, too. I don't think she's necessarily a UConn POI, but I know Hana is a fan POI.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
No you don't highlight the post but you most certainly use them. To many times I see Bigs posting hard and no look inside.
I strongly agree with you and stated this the day Napheesa Collier graduated. You need a balance of perimeter play and post play to return to championship level.
Paige by herself is sufficient perimeter play to get you most of the way there. The post play must improve. Improvement needs to be two fold- The guards cannot be ignoring open post players but the post players need to become significantly more productive with the touches they are getting in the paint and at the basket. Too many missed layup, playing to avoid contact, turnovers by dribbling into traffic and not being set on the high ball screens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom