Apparently it is NOT #timetowork for the coaches. | The Boneyard

Apparently it is NOT #timetowork for the coaches.

Reaction Score
#UConn offensive coordinator John Dunn said he will reserve most of the personnel evaluation of his players for spring drills and not by breaking down film from last year's team.

I remember Pasqualoni did the same thing for the whole squad. Who needs to watch tape to see what the players can and cannot do? Who needs to get ahead of the game by being prepared and knowing their capabilities and areas that need work?

I know a lot of coaches do this. I find it lazy and stupid. Why is this acceptable?

Reaction Score
How do you decide which coach speech you want to.believe and which one you dismiss as just coaches blathering?

O line needs to be a wide open battle. Maybe what he saw is not worth watching and has little relevance to the scheme with the new OC?

PS the article said most not all of the player evaluation.

Reaction Score
I would bet every dollar to my name that he's watched all of the film.

This is just something you need to say to get the players to buy in. Nothing more.
Not if you take him by his word. It's like he is pronouncing I want to have less information about my players.

Reaction Score
Not if you take him by his word. It's like he is pronouncing I want to have less information about my players.
Hence the term #coachspeak. You shouldn’t be taking him at his word on this one.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
C7112984-CDF2-4E5F-BF69-64F309563845.gif

Reaction Score
Hence the term #coachspeak. You shouldn’t be taking him at his word on this one.

In general "coachspeak" is usually considered the be torrents of cliches' or nonsense that mean next to nothing.

His quote is very straightforward and unmistakable. It is the opposite of coachspeak.

I find it awful.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Pal why are you doing this? You know coaches say a lot of things that just aren't true. This is nothing more nothing less.

Reaction Score
Not a good comparison. Hear what you are saying, if Pasqualoni had watched more film on Lagow, the summer before he transferred, UCONN's fortunes could might have been different. Or if PP had watched more HS film of Mike Nebrich instead of watching a young green QB in practice getting some snaps, then maybe Nebrich might not have rode the bench in favor of everyone's All American Johnny McEntee.

PP was a terrible judge of QB's and their potential. That being said, remember that Dunn is OC not the head coach. I can see where Edsall might of said to him, don't entirely trust the film on these guys, and despite this I will bet he's already watched all the film anyway. If he's not watching film too much at least on QB's, maybe that points to Edsall already being very high on starting Marvin Washington. This is Randy Edsall's team.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Pal why are you doing this? You know coaches say a lot of things that just aren't true. This is nothing more nothing less.

It just bothers me that the idea a coach is doing less work and seeking less information is somehow viewed as a good thing to model for players. If you want to less, just shut up. Don't treat it like a virtue.

Reaction Score
It just bothers me that the idea a coach is doing less work and seeking less information is somehow viewed as a good thing to model for players. If you want to less, just shut up. Don't treat it like a virtue.
Man. You honestly think a guy working for a Head Coach with a legendary work ethic is doing ‘less work and seeking less information’? This may be your worst take yet. And that’s saying something

Reaction Score
I think the key word is "most". Hard to find film on a QB other than Pindell. Passing situations had lot of Newsome in there and most TE playing time graduated. OL should be different guys based on improving strength and young guys have no film (could/should be QB and RB challenges from young guys).
Would expect a good coach will see immeasurably more in person viewing players (and actually knowing what he's seeing) than looking at film. A reason why coaches want to see players live at camps before offering.
Let's see, played 12 games = 12 hours play, less than half on offense, lot of guys graduated and/or played lesser roles than upcoming; seems like for hours coaches put in that this could hardly take much time. Practices get to compare players (4-5 months later, kids change a lot at this age) against each other in controlled environment where can see how players take instruction, improve, athletic ability, areas need improvement.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
Fortunately, the coaching staff does not care what bothers you as a fan.

Reaction Score
Fair point, but I can't fathom he hasn't looked at and took apart the films for assessment. I think it's a bit of hyperbole aimed at motivating the kids to compete.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Or maybe he's sending the message that what was done on the field last year is water under the bridge and the kids will earn their position based on how they practice and prepare moving forward. #FindingThingsToBeConcernedAboutInMarch

Reaction Score
Or maybe he's sending the message that what was done on the field last year is water under the bridge and the kids will earn their position based on how they practice and prepare moving forward. #FindingThingsToBeConcernedAboutInMarch

Silly. Watching how a player played when the bullets were firing is invaluable.

This is what drives me crazy about football coaches, they think practice is more important than GAMES.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I've always believed that Palantine is tasked with starting new threads for the sake of argument, just to generate traffic and discussion. Every time it gets a little quiet he blows out a new hot take.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom