Apparently Dan Patrick says San Diego St to PAC | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Apparently Dan Patrick says San Diego St to PAC

Reaction Score
Thing is the only sport that really matters is football, and even if Penn State's basketball sucks, their football is still chugging along just fine.
Oh, I understand. I just wonder if we’d even do well in the ACC or just lose our identity and suffer like Cuse and BC. The ACC won’t do much for us competitively, just financially.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Oh, I understand. I just wonder if we’d even do well in the ACC or just lose our identity and suffer like Cuse and BC. The ACC won’t do much for us competitively, just financially.
That’s the question isn’t it? Of course, we would have Syracuse and Boston College in as regional rivals. Here’s the thing, though, in spite of the odds, being incredibly against us, we’ve managed to survive. Why wouldn’t we be able to, with the odds somewhat more in our favor?

Reaction Score
That’s the question isn’t it? Of course, we would have Syracuse and Boston College in as regional rivals. Here’s the thing, though, in spite of the odds, being incredibly against us, we’ve managed to survive. Why wouldn’t we be able to, with the odds somewhat more in our favor?
My concern is that the kids picking us like the Big East. Maybe the Nig East is helping us more than the ACC would.

For football, we play some big names with a different challenge each year. Is that attractive to some kids? Certain schools create an identity outside the P5. Boise, BYU, ND did it. With our ever present brand due to basketball (especially with the men back at the top) I am optimistic we can be a disruptor with Mora at the helm. CBS could really help us do it, as could any other network.

CL82

Reaction Score
My concern is that the kids picking us like the Big East. Maybe the Nig East is helping us more than the ACC would.

For football, we play some big names with a different challenge each year. Is that attractive to some kids? Certain schools create an identity outside the P5. Boise, BYU, ND did it. With our ever present brand due to basketball (especially with the men back at the top) I am optimistic we can be a disruptor with Mora at the helm. CBS could really help us do it, as could any other network.

All good points. In the end, though none of it matters if our athletic department isn’t fiscally sustainable. That’s what I worry about.

Joining the big east, was a huge recruiting boon versus playing in the American. I’m not sure that playing in the ACC would hurt are recruiting.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
We would be fine and the other two would be better overnight if we were in the ACC.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We will never know but I've always felt if the ACC and Big East did more of a merger rather than feeding off the carcass the programs and the conference would have been better off. UConn, Syracucse, Pitt, WVU, Rutgers, maybe Maryland stays. I didn't think that Pitt and Cuse basketball would whither so quickly on their own. I do think UConn would be successful there and the knuckleheads up north with their heads in the snow should understand why they need us. Otherwise I think the Big East needs to expand or be relegated, just my opinion.

The successful model used by B1G and SEC are large state flagships and then of course there are a few exceptions, USC, Notre Dame. The ACC had no strategic plan and was too focused on killing the Big East rather than a successful long-term plan. Yes the ACC would be a good landing spot, and renewed rivalries with Pitt and Cuse would be intriguing, but the ACC is a house of cards, so to speak.

Reaction Score
I agree we’d help Cuse and BC, but I’m not sure I care. I also agree that the ACC is a house of cards. I’d like find a way financially to stay our current course as things evolve and see what else might be out there for us with a stronger football program and both basketball teams back on top.

CL82

Reaction Score
I agree we’d help Cuse and BC, but I’m not sure I care. I also agree that the ACC is a house of cards. I’d like find a way financially to stay our current course as things evolve and see what else might be out there for us with a stronger football program and both basketball teams back on top.
Win the Powerball

Reaction Score
Syracuse and BC are currently bad at basketball due to their coaches. It has nothing to do with the ACC. If we kept Ollie we would still stink at basketball even in the Big East. Just look at Georgetown, where is their Big East magic? Syracuse doesn't need UCONN to join the ACC to be good at basketball again, they need a new coach. It's all about the coaches.

The idea that UCONN's recruiting would suffer in the ACC is nothing but wasted worry IMO. We'll be fine as long as we have Hurley.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Syracuse and BC are currently bad at basketball due to their coaches. It has nothing to do with the ACC. If we kept Ollie we would still stink at basketball even in the Big East. Just look at Georgetown, where is their Big East magic? Syracuse doesn't need UCONN to join the ACC to be good at basketball again, they need a new coach. It's all about the coaches.

The idea that UCONN's recruiting would suffer in the ACC is nothing but wasted worry IMO. We'll be fine as long as we have Hurley.
No question that the coach is the single most important factor and UCONN's recruiting may not suffer in the ACC, and could in fact thrive. Pitt is also bad at basketball so I don't think it's a coincidence that both SU and Pitt stink in the ACC while both were BE powers. Is Jeff Capel an awful coach? Pitt, SU, BCU. Those are the three northeastern schools in the ACC. Would a pod of 4 instead of 3 make a big difference? Given the fact that the 4th is a national brand with 4 rings? The ACC is still tobacco road. SU's only decent road game is almost 6 hours away. So to your point, I do think UCONN in the ACC would flourish, but for basketball fans, the Big East is fun again so it is reasonable to have concerns about change.

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
If you look at the ACC’s pods or structures or regions or whatever, it seems pretty obvious UConn is the missing ingredient in terms of hoops. A legitimate basketball power in the north to join the Carolina ones, and engages the tri state area in ACC ball.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Wrong. Do you know anything about college sports?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Anyone who blames BCU's problems on Kevin Ollie should stop posting about college sports.

First, BCU has been bad for decades. The anti-Ollie crew has tried, in this thread, to blame its consistently bad performance on bad coaches. By that posters' logic, all 7 of them were bad coaches, even though they were all successful elsewhere. One of the coaches, Gary Williams, is in the Basketball Hall of Fame. But he sucked as a coach? Got it. One of the things that makes this board tedious at times is that the same posters can't let a single thread go by without engaging in logical gymnastics to turn whatever it is we are posting about, in this case Boston College and Syracuse, into an attack on Kevin Ollie.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom