Apostolos Roumoglou looking for playing time | The Boneyard

Apostolos Roumoglou looking for playing time

Reaction Score
"The most important thing is playing defense," Roumoglou noted. "If you can't guard, you can't play in the games, the coach can't trust you. The first and most important thing is to play defense and be able to know where you can be on the court."

"You have to play really hard for this coach," he continued. "In order to get on the court, you have to play hard and have passion in life. Your work ethic must be at the top. You have all these facilities, you have to use them. I'm trying my best to use these facilities to get on the court."

Alternate access:

Playing time was Greek to UConn men's basketball's Apostolos Roumoglou last season. That may change

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I wouldn't assume that Apostolos won't contribute to this team. He looked reasonably capable when he did play in garbage time. Heady, with some offensive skill like a lot of Euro players. So he clearly knows he has to now bring it defensively.

Reaction Score
There are a lot of unknowns off the bench. We have 2 freshman SFs who are great in theory, but we haven't seen them yet. We don't really have a backup PF (assuming SJ plays C), so we'll need some SFs to drop down and play PF. Roumoglou strikes me as a guard that will have to play wing due to size and need

I don't see too much of a pathway to playing time this year, but who knows? I said the same about Joey C last summer and he was a rotation player on a championship run. Apostolos did strike me as the strongest one of the garbage time crew. Showed some real basketball skills

Reaction Score
The early season games are a great chance to see what some of these guys can do. Singare, Ross, Roum and Stewart need to take advantage to try to cement rotation spots. Obviously they all won’t, but will be fun to watch.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Great article bringing some info and background on this young man. Playing college hoop for a top flight D 1 program coming from a foreign country and btw majoring in electrical engineering. Not afraid of challenges at all. Why not try the College Basketball Capital of the World? Apostolos the Fearless. Looking forward to your future which looks pretty bright from here.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It seems every player says Andre Jackson is their favorite teammate
The team still can't seem to let go (from the current roster page):

1696955964423.png

Reaction Score
Writing Non-Brutally-Cliched Headlines Is Greek to the Register

Having said this , this kid is too good to be sitting and getting garbage minutes . He has a nice shot ,size , and decent athleticism. His loyalty in coming back to a pretty loaded squad is commendable. We will see , maybe this will be rewarded with rotation minutes as a season has many strange twists . Right now he is a luxury insurance policy only a wealthy program like ours currently is , can afford .

Last edited by a moderator:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
What's the issue? Unless I'm missing something I don't see any problems with that roster.
I guess my mind saw what it wanted to see! He had to be a junior as well!

Reaction Score
I think he has the potential to be a Johnny-on-the-Spot kind of guy, in the mold of Niels Giffey. Just in the sense that he could be plugged into most positions when the situation calls for it

Reaction Score
Taking the little I’ve seen from him with a big grain of salt, it looks like he has a pretty good handle and is a solid shooter. That combination from a bench forward, could earn him some burn.

Reaction Score
In the little bit of playing time he had last year, Apostolos showed some skill, had a nice shot and had that “potential” look to him. But, I don’t see him getting any more court time than he had last year. Where will he find minutes? Back court is stacked and deep and the front court is solid. He will be backseat to the freshman, as it is.

The article says a lot about the kid and he understands what is needed to get meaningful minutes. Seem’s like a good teammate and I look forward to seeing him get his dues in a couple of years on senior night.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Will always root for kids who stick it out instead of transferring, but the writing is on the wall here.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I love the kids energy but after our OOC his minutes will dry up.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
He was always the first guy off the bench late in games and often came in an ran the point for the final few minutes, which I thought was interesting.

No idea what to expect from him, but anything he can give would be welcome.

Reaction Score
Take a look at the run he got in the summer league games. He was definitely on the floor early and often, not just getting the garbage time minutes like Hurley. He hustles, rebounds, puts zip on the ball when he passes it, and looks like he belongs out there with the best guys on our team. Now he shot something like 2-10 from 3 so nobody talking about him right now but if a few more of those fall then there's a lot of hype. I actually expect him to play 8-10 minutes a game and do some really good things this year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom