AP Women’s Basketball Poll Week 17

Reaction Score
Moovin' on up! :D

1551120383749.png

LINK to source

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Several of those schools in the bottom half of the top 10 could upset some of those in the top half and make the FF. There are a lot of very good teams in that top 10 that will not make it. I can see Stanford and Oregon making the FF.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Looks good to me. the more other top teams lose, the more likely UCONN will be the overall top seed or #2 seed. The easier our path the better...

Reaction Score
Right now, I'd say UCLA is underrated. 8-2 in their last 10 games. Losses to Stanford and @OSU, wins @UO, @ASU, Cal, @Utah. They lost Billings and Canada (the players, not the placenames), and it just took them a half-season to adjust. Whoever draws them in their regional better watch out.

Reaction Score
lol that KY is all the way up to 11

The pollsters are overly affected by losses. Fortunately the committee is not.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Looks good to me. the more other top teams lose, the more likely UCONN will be the overall top seed or #2 seed. The easier our path the better...

I don't see Baylor losing between now and the 4th round of the NCAA tournament. They are the only top 5 team that has remained consistent with only 1 loss thus far. They'll run the table the rest of the season as well as the BIG 12 tourny. They just held #18 Texas to 35 points tonight, 64-35.

They lost the region semi final to Oregon St last year, the region final to Miss St in 2017. They have the first 2 rounds in Waco. They don't lose at home, especially to lower level seeds that will be scheduled to play there. If they're going to lose, it will be in the later rounds (4,5,or 6).

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I don't see Baylor losing between now and the 4th round of the NCAA tournament. They'll run the table the rest of the season as well as the BIG 12 tourny. They just held #18 Texas to 35 points tonight, 64-35.

They lost the region semi final to Oregon St last year, the region final to Miss St in 2017. They have the first 2 rounds in Waco. They don't lose at home, especially to lower level seeds that will be scheduled to play there. If they're going to lose, it will be in the later rounds (4,5,or 6).
Charlie Creme's bracketology currently has Baylor and MSST in the same bracket (Greensboro Region). I would like to see Baylor go up against other teams with some size like MSST or Oregon State. While I think Teaira McCowan is better than Joanna Grymek, both are pretty big bodies that Kalani Brown can't just shoot over or push around as easily as some of the smaller competition she's played against. Lauren Cox is the better shot blocker of the two so it would also be fun to see her play against Notre Dame's bigs and see who has more blocks at the end of it all--her or Brianna Turner.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Charlie Creme's bracketology currently has Baylor and MSST in the same bracket (Greensboro Region). I would like to see Baylor go up against other teams with some size like MSST or Oregon State. While I think Teaira McCowan is better than Joanna Grymek, both are pretty big bodies that Kalani Brown can't just shoot over or push around as easily as some of the smaller competition she's played against. Lauren Cox is the better shot blocker of the two so it would also be fun to see her play against Notre Dame's bigs and see who has more blocks at the end of it all--her or Brianna Turner.

A Baylor-Notre Dame game would certainly be worth the price of admission. Especially on a neutral court.

Last edited by a moderator:

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Suppose Louisville runs the table and wins the ACC Tournament. Wouldn't the Cardinals, with an equal amount of losses and a head-to-head edge over the Huskies, likely jump UConn to become the overall No. 2 seed?

Reaction Score
Suppose Louisville runs the table and wins the ACC Tournament. Wouldn't the Cardinals, with an equal amount of losses and a head-to-head edge over the Huskies, likely jump UConn to become the overall No. 2 seed?

They wouldn't be "jumping" UConn, since in the last Committee poll, Lou was #2.

But yes, I believe if ND/Lou run the table, they are #2 overall seed.

Reaction Score

Probably.

My preference would to be to see a rematch between UConn and Baylor in the first round of the FF, as long as UConn avoids both ND and Louisville in the Albany Regional.

Reaction Score
If Oregon wins the next two games and the Pac12 tournament, will they go back up in the polls and be considered a #1 seed? Notre Dame dropped in the polls after their loss to North Carolina, but many gave them a pass because Jackie Young was out. Even with the loss to Miami, they are back at a #1 seed. Why wouldn't the same be true of Oregon? They lost because Ruthy Heard only played 13 minutes of the Oregon State game and she was out for the UCLA game.

For that matter, if Oregon falters, and Mississippi State wins out, why are they out of consideration for a #1 seed? Bracketology puts 8 SEC teams in the tournament putting the conference on a level with the ACC in representation? Given this, shouldn't Mississippi State, if it is SEC champion, be a #1 seed?

As a matter of opinion, I think the SEC should not have 8 teams in the tournament.

Reaction Score
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As a matter of opinion, I think the SEC should not have 8 teams in the tournament.
I think putting 8 SEC teams in the bracket is the only way for Creme to justify including Tenn.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
If Oregon wins the next two games and the Pac12 tournament, will they go back up in the polls and be considered a #1 seed? Notre Dame dropped in the polls after their loss to North Carolina, but many gave them a pass because Jackie Young was out. Even with the loss to Miami, they are back at a #1 seed. Why wouldn't the same be true of Oregon? They lost because Ruthy Heard only played 13 minutes of the Oregon State game and she was out for the UCLA game.

For that matter, if Oregon falters, and Mississippi State wins out, why are they out of consideration for a #1 seed? Bracketology puts 8 SEC teams in the tournament putting the conference on a level with the ACC in representation? Given this, shouldn't Mississippi State, if it is SEC champion, be a #1 seed?

The polls and the tournament seeding are not related to each other.

The number of SEC teams selected to the tournament has nothing to do with whether Miss St is a #1 or #2 seed. Teams are evaluated individually. A team from a one-bid conference can be a #1 seed (which may well be the case with UConn this year), or a conference with 8 or 9 bids might not have any #1 seeds.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I think putting 8 SEC teams in the bracket is the only way for Creme to justify including Tenn.

Fear not. The "cream" will quickly rise to the top in this year's tournament. The wannabees and pretenders will quickly fall by the wayside. 90% of them will be gone after the first round. 100% after the regional semi-final round (game #3). ;)

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
A Baylor-Notre Dame game would certainly be worth the price of admission. Especially on a neutral court.
For me, not if it is for the NC. Otherwise, I agree with you.

Reaction Score
Miss St needs to win out and 2 of these for a #1, imo:
  • UConn loss
  • Lou lose a season game or before the ACC final
  • ND lose before ACC final
  • Ore not win the PACT
If ND/Lou win and then meet in the ACC final, they both probably end ahead of MsSt, and both get a #1 if Ore loses.

Carnac

Reaction Score
For me, not if it is for the NC. Otherwise, I agree with you.

No no no!!! Until they are eliminated, I’ve got UConn in the final four. I hope nothing I’ve written or posted has suggested otherwise. UConn can win it all this year. The only reason they lost those two games was because their shots did not fall that night. They were in both games in the 4th quarter.

When UConn’s shots are falling, they’re hard to beat. That includes the Baylors and the Louisvilles.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom