AP WNBA awards | The Boneyard

AP WNBA awards

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Okay with most of these, but really not sure about Parker as DPOY. Grabbing rebounds doesn't necessarily mean she's playing great defense. A look at past winners shows a heavy bias against guards/wings. Weatherspoon and Beard won a couple. Not quite sure which position you'd consider Catchings, she won a bunch. Swoopes won several. But quite a few between Leslie/LJ/Fowles/Griner, then Howard and now Parker (maybe?). Probably I'm a little bit biased but I'd really like to see Alysha Clark get this. I'm not sure if she was even in the running. Actually, who were the leading candidates? Sparks cranked up the hype machine for Parker and it seems like everybody just bought into it.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Parker averaged 1.2 bpg and 1.2 steals per game. Fairly modest. She led the league in rebounding at 9.7 per game. I think she was more consistent this year with effort and energy level, but I know throughout her career it's been really easy to notice her being quite lazy on defense. Anyway, she wasn't in the top 5 for either steals or blocks FWIW. Again maybe not this year, but as far back as I can remember Nneka always got the assignment on the other team's best post player, not Candace. This just seems like a really fishy way to toss some accolades her way since she wasn't gonna get MVP.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Rebounds:

1. Parker 9.7
2. Thomas 9.0
3. Pheesa 9.0

Steals:

1. Thomas 2.0
2. Lexie Brown 1.8
3. Pheesa 1.8
26. Parker 1.2

Blocks:

1. Wilson 2.0
2. Turner 2.0
3. Stevens 1.8
6. Pheesa 1.3
8. Parker 1.2
48. Thomas 0.3

Based on these 3 categories, I would have chosen Pheesa. I had her 1st, then Clark and Thomas, then Parker.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
By alma mater:

1st team: South Carolina, UConn, Tennessee, Notre Dame, Gonzaga

2nd team: UConn, Notre Dame, Maryland, Auburn, UConn

Rookie team: UConn, Oregon, A & M, Louisville, Belgium

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Okay with most of these, but really not sure about Parker as DPOY. Grabbing rebounds doesn't necessarily mean she's playing great defense. A look at past winners shows a heavy bias against guards/wings. Weatherspoon and Beard won a couple. Not quite sure which position you'd consider Catchings, she won a bunch. Swoopes won several. But quite a few between Leslie/LJ/Fowles/Griner, then Howard and now Parker (maybe?). Probably I'm a little bit biased but I'd really like to see Alysha Clark get this. I'm not sure if she was even in the running. Actually, who were the leading candidates? Sparks cranked up the hype machine for Parker and it seems like everybody just bought into it.

She wouldn't be my first pick but I understand if she does get it. She's played a lot more consistently on both ends and has been a very good defensive player this season. I would've voted for Turner personally but her late push may be too little too late.

The award has actually been quite split among perimeter players and front court. 13 of the 23 winners were perimeter oriented players. Catchings won 5x but was playing on the perimeter far more often than defending inside. Same with Swoopes, Beard and TSpoon.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom