UConn Huskies well represented:

Player of Year: Breanna Stewart
Most Improved Player: Natasha Howard
Coach of the Year: Nicki Collen
Rookie of the Year: Aja Wilson
Defensive Player of the Year: Sylvia Fowles
Comeback Player of the Year: DeWanna Bonner
Sixth Woman of the Year: Jonquel Jones

All WNBA 1st Team: Breanna Stewart, Liz Cambage, Elena Delle Donne, Diana Taurasi and Tiffany Hayes

All WNBA 2nd Team: Candace Parker, Maya Moore, Brittany Griner, Skylar Diggins and Sylvia Fowles

All WNBA Rookie Team: A'ja Wilson, Ariel Atkins, Azura Stevens, Kia Nurse and Diamond DeShields

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Azura Stevens is also a UConn Husky ....

Of the 3 drafted Huskies to possibly be named to the all-rookie team at the beginning of the season, I would have thought it would be Kia. & Gabby. But congrats to Azura. She had more of an impact on her team than Gabby did with the Sky. An award I'm sure she wasn't contemplating when she entered the draft. I'm happy for her and all of the other selectees. I enjoyed the season. :)

Carnac

Reaction Score
Wow, Candace and Maya SECOND team.

Yeah, that raised my eyebrows too. :eek: Although Tiff's stock did rise significantly this year. And to think, she was a 2nd round draft pick in 2012.

Look at the six teams below that passed on Tiff in the 1st round 6 years ago to draft players that are no longer in the league.

WNBA 1st Round 2012 - Red denotes still active.

1 Los Angeles -- Nnemkadi Ogwumike
2 Seattle -- Shekinna Stricklen
3 Minnesota -- Devereaux Peters
4 Tulsa -- Glory Johnson
5 San Antonio -- Shenise Johnson
6 Phoenix -- Samantha Prahalis
7 New York -- Kelley Cain
8 Washington -- Natalie Novosel
9 Connecticut -- Astan Dabo
10 Washington -- LaSondra Barrett
11 Indiana -- Sasha Goodlett
12 Minnesota -- Damiris Dantas

Last edited by a moderator:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
2017_5_13AtlantaDreamCTSun066.0.jpeg

Carnac

Reaction Score

The highlight of the season for me was to meet and take a picture with Breanna in Las Vegas as they were the opponent of the Aces for their inaugural home game in May. She was very personable and gracious. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Hard to quibble with the list. I'd put Bird on the 2nd team over Diggins.

Sue put up career bests in FG% (46.6%), 3FG% (44.8%), Assist/game (7.1) and 2nd fewest turnovers in her career (1.9/game). She did all that while leading her team to the best record in the WNBA. Diggins scored more points than Bird (17.9 ppg vs 10.1 ppg) while taking 6.5 more shots per game. The Storm won 26 games while the Wings won 15.

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I tend to agree with Cat regarding Bird - and if the Sky had been better, I think you could have made an argument for Vandersloot too. Being 1st or 2nd team WNBA should NOT only be about scoring points (or giving icy stares to officials)!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Not going to qvetch about Sue. I'm sure that 2d team would get the ball distributed :confused::eek:. I little incentive for Sue as she and the rest of the Storm try to stay feisty waiting for the semis. Pleased for Azura and more for Kia, the where did her butt go kid ;).

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
and if the Sky had been better

Sky were only 2 games behind Dallas, who had a 1st and 2nd team pick on this list. It's the difference between making the playoffs and the season being over, but it's a small margin.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom