AP Rookie of the Year: Napheesa Collier, Minnesota Lynx | Page 2 | The Boneyard

AP Rookie of the Year: Napheesa Collier, Minnesota Lynx

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Congrats to Napheesa for winning the award and Arike for an excellent season and coming in second. As Ben Dull's article -- posted on another thread - indicated, both of them had exceedingly proficient seasons in many aspects and one can expect more of that from both of them.

As for the Boneyard, I'd think the owners of this enterprise were very happy to have Arike around for both the NCAA and now WNBA season for increasing the click rates on so many threads over so many months and helping with ad rates, not to mention word of mouth over many WBB-related blogs.

As for some comments -- these among them -- the graciousness is just overwhelming :rolleyes: (you folks wrote 'em, I didn't). Would following Napheesa's lead -- taking the hight road -- be that difficult?

Obviously so in these cases, so for once I'll give a (mild) pushback:

In addition to the rookie of the year vote, the AP also announced it's All-rookie team:
- Napheesa Collier
- Teaira McCowan
- Arike Ogunbowale
- Brianna Turner
- Jackie Young

'Nuff posted.
Turner was selected even though she played (on a regular basis) less than half a season. I'm glad to see she played well when given the opportunity to do so. I can see her reaching the potential she was believed to have coming out of high school if she remains healthy.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Congrats to Phee, and also Arike, for tremendous seasons. I am glad the voters not only took into account the "we" vs. "me" mentality, but also looked at ALL the stats, not just giving the award to the person with the most gaudy scoring numbers...

The ROY award we're all waiting for is the WNBA ROY. I hope their results are the same. :)

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
The ROY award we're all waiting for is the WNBA ROY. I hope their results are the same. :)
It will make them look suspicious if someone else wins. I think the AP Award is the most important.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Congrats to Napheesa for winning the award and Arike for an excellent season and coming in second. As Ben Dull's article -- posted on another thread - indicated, both of them had exceedingly proficient seasons in many aspects and one can expect more of that from both of them.

As for the Boneyard, I'd think the owners of this enterprise were very happy to have Arike around for both the NCAA and now WNBA season for increasing the click rates on so many threads over so many months and helping with ad rates, not to mention word of mouth over many WBB-related blogs.

As for some comments -- these among them -- the graciousness is just overwhelming :rolleyes: (you folks wrote 'em, I didn't). Would following Napheesa's lead -- taking the hight road -- be that difficult?

Obviously so in these cases, so for once I'll give a (mild) pushback:

In addition to the rookie of the year vote, the AP also announced it's All-rookie team:
- Napheesa Collier
- Teaira McCowan
- Arike Ogunbowale
- Brianna Turner
- Jackie Young

'Nuff posted.
While I have tremendous respect for you and your opinions even when I disagree, on this post I am taking umbrage as all the vitriol that Arike has garnered on this site and from her competitors has ALL BEEN well earned not only by her but by MM’s own words to stoke those flames. I am still so irritated with her I refuse to click on that thread bearing her name even as I would to solely put snark!

Your contention that she (and by extension her actions) has made owners of this forum happy is shear malarkey (for you, an Irish phrase). I don’t watch the WNBA so I can’t opine as to if her scoring is a result of selfish play, only that her volume and percentages are not good. So I am left to believe if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck then it is infact a Leprechaun!

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
This must be a first that one school has 3 first-round draft choices making the all-rookie team. That is an impressive record!

Time to be ungracious again. ;)

If Asia Durr did not get hurt, she probably would have beat out Turner whos good play began only in the second half of the season. Asia had started to put it together alot sooner and her injury was a significant reason the Liberty went into free fall imho.

Oh by the way, I love Turner and Young who seem very non ND like.;)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Congrats to all and a special shoot-out to Sloot. Courtney led the league in assists by a wide margin. She was the first in league history to record 300 assists in a season, as she finished with exactly 300. Chelsea Gray was second, with 202. In addition to being fun to watch, Sloot helped Chicago return to the playoffs after a multiple-year absence.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score

Perhaps I gloated too soon. Phee is the AP ROY but not yet the POY according to the WNBA. The AP voted Mystics coach Mike Thibault, coach of the year but the WNBA website says Chicago's James Wade is coach of the year. Who is voting for the WNBA? Per Voepel: Both awards are voted on by a media panel. What media panel?

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

If Asia Durr did not get hurt, she probably would have beat out Turner whos good play began only in the second half of the season. Asia had started to put it together alot sooner and her injury was a significant reason the Liberty went into free fall imho.

That could very well have happened: Durr was playing well at the time she was injured.
Going back to Irish alums, it would've been interesting to see how Jess Shepard's season would've played out if she hadn't injured her ACL. While she had been playing well, her overall season was too small a sampling to project.

Looking ahead, I, too, hope Bri is able to continue to get strong (good luck and break a leg -- not -- in Australia) and continue to improve. And I hope Asia and Jess are also able to rebound and come back strong. I look forward to all of their sophomore years.

And I hope KLS has a great international run in France and is able to come back and find some PT with Chicago (or somewhere) next year. (Just read sister Karlie is playing in Spain this year: maybe the two sisters can find some time to meet up over the winter!)

Last edited:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Wow, if Arike can't even win the vote from her own hometown, maybe she won't win after all.
Her hometown of...CBS Sports? I must be missing something.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

And if Jessica Shepard had not gotten hurt it still might have been 3 golden domers on the All rookie team. I have no issues with the other three ND rookies,;it is only Arike who has earned my destain.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Congratulations, Pheesa! Well deserved!

I thought she made the difference between the Lynx being contenders, as they were, instead of basement dwellers like they were expected to be after all the gigantic subtractions from their roster this year. And she'll only get better.

It could not have happened to a more deserving player.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Napheesa Collier is a pleasure to watch play basketball. She is in constant motion, and, it is an efficient motion that results in her always in the right place at the right time. Truly, one of the best WCBB players, whose game will shine in any basketball format in any basketball league.

Reaction Score
Congratulations, Pheesa! Well deserved!

I thought she made the difference between the Lynx being contenders, as they were, instead of basement dwellers like they were expected to be after all the gigantic subtractions from their roster this year. And she'll only get better.

It could not have happened to a more deserving player.
I wouldn't say the Lynx were contenders. For most of the season, they either were three or four games above .500, at .500, or 3 or 4 games below .500. They were good enough to make the playoffs.

Reaction Score
While I have tremendous respect for you and your opinions even when I disagree, on this post I am taking umbrage as all the vitriol that Arike has garnered on this site and from her competitors has ALL BEEN well earned not only by her but by MM’s own words to stoke those flames. I am still so irritated with her I refuse to click on that thread bearing her name even as I would to solely put snark!

Your contention that she (and by extension her actions) has made owners of this forum happy is shear malarkey (for you, an Irish phrase). I don’t watch the WNBA so I can’t opine as to if her scoring is a result of selfish play, only that her volume and percentages are not good. So I am left to believe if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck then it is infact a Leprechaun!
I haven't forgotten when Arike kicked Janessa Thropay (Oregon State) in the head last season when both ended up on the floor chasing a loose ball. Soon after Arike had similar moments in the UCONN game. Sportsmanship gets overlooked at times, and I hope Arike has cleaned up her game.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I haven't forgotten when Arike kicked Janessa Thropay (Oregon State) in the head last season when both ended up on the floor chasing a loose ball. Soon after Arike had similar moments in the UCONN game. Sportsmanship gets overlooked at times, and I hope Arike has cleaned up her game.
Metaphor- Leopard...Spots...’nuf ced

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom