AP Rookie of the Year: Napheesa Collier, Minnesota Lynx | The Boneyard

AP Rookie of the Year: Napheesa Collier, Minnesota Lynx

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Reading into the article and the comments by Pheesa. A little competative shade I think. :D

Napheesa Collier edged Arike Ogunbowale for rookie of the year honors. Minnesota’s rookie received eight of the votes; Ogunbowale the other six.

“It means a lot to me, as I said before, it was one of my goals coming into this season,” Collier said in a phone interview. “It was a heated race and really publicized. There’s no question she’s a great scorer and I think she’ll do amazing things in her career.”

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Congrats to Phee, and also Arike, for tremendous seasons. I am glad the voters not only took into account the "we" vs. "me" mentality, but also looked at ALL the stats, not just giving the award to the person with the most gaudy scoring numbers...

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
After ESPNW named Pheesa the top rookie, I was a little reluctant to join in the celebration. The AP ROY is the real deal and a tremendous honor for an outstanding basketball player and wonderful young lady. To quote the short Italian guy, "The best thing about Pheesa is that this is the worst she'll ever be." Looking forward to Pheesa leading her team in the playoffs, winning Olympic championships and picking up a lot more hardware in the years to come.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Good > Evil
Harsh. We should be kinder since I am sure Arike has more time to read the BY now. ;)

I will simply say.

We > Me
I'll go with both.

Congrats to Napheesa for winning the award and Arike for an excellent season and coming in second. As Ben Dull's article -- posted on another thread - indicated, both of them had exceedingly proficient seasons in many aspects and one can expect more of that from both of them.

As for the Boneyard, I'd think the owners of this enterprise were very happy to have Arike around for both the NCAA and now WNBA season for increasing the click rates on so many threads over so many months and helping with ad rates, not to mention word of mouth over many WBB-related blogs.

As for some comments -- these among them -- the graciousness is just overwhelming :rolleyes: (you folks wrote 'em, I didn't). Would following Napheesa's lead -- taking the hight road -- be that difficult?

Obviously so in these cases, so for once I'll give a (mild) pushback:

In addition to the rookie of the year vote, the AP also announced it's All-rookie team:
- Napheesa Collier
- Teaira McCowan
- Arike Ogunbowale
- Brianna Turner
- Jackie Young

'Nuff posted.

Reaction Score
As for some comments -- these among them -- the graciousness is just overwhelming :rolleyes: (you folks wrote 'em, I didn't). Would following Napheesa's lead -- taking the hight road -- be that difficult?

Lighten up Francis.

It was one intentionally over-the-top comment.

HGN

Reaction Score
CONGRATULATIONS Naphessa ! You earned and deserved it !

Arike is to be commended for a fine season. But you proved that some voters value a well rounded game and player. From where I sit , the award to you is going to make both of you better players. You, because now you will further live up to that award. And Arike will continue her outstanding play. But the way I see it , the voters got it right.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Congrats to Napheesa for winning the award and Arike for an excellent season and coming in second. As Ben Dull's article -- posted on another thread - indicated, both of them had exceedingly proficient seasons in many aspects and one can expect more of that from both of them.

As for the Boneyard, I'd think the owners of this enterprise were very happy to have Arike around for both the NCAA and now WNBA season for increasing the click rates on so many threads over so many months and helping with ad rates, not to mention word of mouth over many WBB-related blogs.

In addition to the rookie of the year vote, the AP also announced it's All-rookie team:
- Napheesa Collier
- Teaira McCowan
- Arike Ogunbowale
- Brianna Turner
- Jackie Young

'Nuff posted.
You will have to forgive those here on the BY for their less than magnanimous responses. Ogunbawle is a great basketball player, and a really good dancer. I can't imagine why Husky fans would harbor any ill will against her. It's not like she low-bridged Christyn on a layup, leg-whipped Crystal in the open court or directed obscenities at Geno...…:confused:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
- Napheesa Collier
- Teaira McCowan
- Arike Ogunbowale
- Brianna Turner
- Jackie Young

'Nuff posted.

This must be a first that one school has 3 first-round draft choices making the all-rookie team. That is an impressive record!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
This must be a first that one school has 3 first-round draft choices making the all-rookie team. That is an impressive record!
That's probably correct, although it's worth noting that back in 2002, when UConn had 4 of the first 6 draft picks in the WNBA (Bird, Cash, Williams and Jones), the league did not recognizer an all-rookie team. During that season, all four UConn draft picks had solid seasons, with Sue & Swin both making the all-star game as rookies. Also worth noting that in 2016, both Stewie & Mo made the all rookie team. Unfortunately, Tuck spent much of the year recovering from microfractury surgery, or there could well have been 3 Huskies on the team.

Reaction Score
Woohoo!! Way to go Pheesa!!!!

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score

- Napheesa Collier
- Teaira McCowan
- Arike Ogunbowale
- Brianna Turner
- Jackie Young

'Nuff posted.
Good for them. They played well and were recognized as they should be. When does the college season start?

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
FWIW, the publicity of the "race for ROY" was good for the NBA. Real good class of rooks this year. They all should be proud.

Congrats to Pheesa on a well deserved ROY. She has had an outstanding year so far and there's more to come.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom