AP rankings | Page 3 | The Boneyard

AP rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
There is only one team that I despise more than the one from Knoxville, and that's the one from South Bend. I like the naming them the Wayward Wannabes from the Wastelands of Northern Indiana.

I thought he was talking about Valpo at first.

Reaction Score
TODAY's AP Poll already getting blown up... #5 Indiana just got beat by unranked Nebraska by 17 points... 72 - 55

Dominoes continue to fall.

Reaction Score
Well, I said I wasn’t convinced Indiana was a top 5 team and they proceed to get whacked by Nebraska. I think to think I wasn’t the jinx :D:D

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
I believe that if UConn was at full strength they would probably be ranked 3 or 4 in this poll. It is hard to look for a silver lining during this period where the injury bug as infected UConn's top players however, it has been a blessing in disguise for Caroline Ducharme, Dorka Juhasz and Azzi Fudd as they have all gotten valuable minutes that they more than likely wouldn't have gotten if everyone was healthy and two players didn't transfer during the season. Even Christyn, Aliyah, Evina and Olivia have had to step it up and play at a higher level in the absence of UConn's top players. I smile inwardly at the thought of everyone being healthy...I mean yesterday we had Olivia, Bueckers and Caroline on the bench...why that is 40-45 points on any given night...and UConn still beat Marquette by 14 and DePaul by 24...scoring 84 and 72...and that is with 45 points on the bench...it is truly amazing when you think about it. You basically have UConn beating teams with only 6 players and arguably 3 of the best players at their positions on the bench.

I see no team in the top 10 that I am worried about if we are at full strength...except South Carolina and Stanford. We played Louisville without Bueckers, Fudd and Muhl...and with Edwards who hadn't yet found her stride. We will absolutely win that game in a rematch if we are at full strength. I think it matters not where UConn gets placed in the NCAAs...they are at worse a legit 2 seed and probably a 1 seed. I don't think anybody wants UConn in their bracket... I look for Geno to turn in his best coaching job ever...and UConn gets to the final four with a legit shot at championship.

Reaction Score
I think Louisville still has a real shot against us even at full strength but I agree we might be favored in that instance. They have trended up recently.

Indiana's best player isn't coming back this year either. They probably trend down going forward.

A lot of this depends on how healthy everyone is in the playoffs. Covid, injuries will continue to impact teams and who knows the situation then.

I like our chances if we are slotted with NC State. I'm not discounting them as they have been very successful but I think we match up well. I also like our chances against the other teams currently slotted in Bridgeport ( ESPN projections ).

Reaction Score
Not convinced Iowa State, Baylor, Indiana, Michigan and LSU should be as high as they are.

I agree. These are all flawed teams that lack depth and a complete starting 5- much like I our own injury depleted team. They do have one or two very strong players. Truth is that most of these teams have played a soft out of conference schedule, and they are just now playing each other. So as they win and beat each other up, things should clear up a bit.

While many talking heads in WCBB love to talk about parity this year, I see the same pattern that we’ve seen for years: a top 3-5 very strong teams, with a sizable gap down to the next 10 teams, which are almost interchangeable in terms of ranking. The range of Massey’s ratings for the 5th through 15th ranked teams is very tight- very little separation. And there is a big jump up to the “elite” teams.

Every ranking tool has its weakness- but the NET quadrant concept is particularly troublesome when there is as significant of a gap between the 24th ranked team and the 4th ranked team. These Big 10/12 teams mostly have avoided the top 5 so they have avoided the scars which we suffered.

The next 3 weeks will be like shaking up a snow globe for the#5-15 teams. There is,IMO opinion, a good chance that a healthier recovered UCONN team will settle out at the top of this group.

Reaction Score
There is only one team that I despise more than the one from Knoxville, and that's the one from South Bend. I like the naming them the Wayward Wannabes from the Wastelands of Northern Indiana.
Not the teams so much as their fans (although I do hate the color orange). Perhaps that was what you meant? Thanks for explaining the acronym.

Reaction Score
From what I'm seeing, Creme's latest — as of 2/11, which was before Dayton lost to VCU yesterday — has Dayton as the AQ and listed Rhode Island as among the "first 4 out". This suggests URI would be very near the cut line if they lose in the A-10 tournament.

For now RI's best wins are over Princeton and UMass, but they also have losses to Buffalo, Long Beach State (ouch) and Holy Cross (holy ouch!).

Beating Dayton in at least one, and preferably both, of their upcoming two games will go a long way toward supporting Rhode Island's at-large prospects.
Today Creme has Rhode Island in as the AQ and Dayton First out. So...clearly the message is one of them isn't dancing.

Reaction Score
Only 3 schools from the Non-power conferences in the top 25. UConn, Florida Gulf Coast, and BYU.

Reaction Score
They are missing their best player
Definitely missing MacKenize Holmes. Indiana lacks that extra fire power that she provided. But Grace Berger is no slacker either.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Any basis for this statement?
Holmes had knee surgery on January 20, but I didn't see much info on the recovery period or other details. Out indefinitely. Coach hopes for her return in late February, early March, but could be out for the season. Sounds familiar!

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
How can the idiots in the Coaches poll put that Orange team ahead of UConn, after the drumming they got by the Huskies. Yes UConn lost the next game, but they didn't have Liv, who played against them, plus Caroline and Paige.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Holmes had knee surgery on January 20, but I didn't see much info on the recovery period or other details. Out indefinitely. Coach hopes for her return in late February, early March, but could be out for the season. Sounds familiar!
I saw the same, plus she was dressed on the bench the other night. I know that doesn’t mean she’s available, but it really flies in the face of “won’t be back this year.”

Reaction Score
How can the idiots in the Coaches poll put that Orange team ahead of UConn, after the drumming they got by the Huskies. Yes UConn lost the next game, but they didn't have Liv, who played against them, plus Caroline and Paige.
THIS is why I don't marry my opinions tightly to polls. I look at polls in ranges...and that's it. We saw the game and know who won...decisively. And yes, we were missing players, BUT they were missing Keyen Green.

Reaction Score
I read that Indiana's top player was probably out for the year. It could have been before the surgery though as it seems to have been updated.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I think there are plenty of scary teams. I remember Bill Walton used to always say basketball is a game of matchups. I think what Maryland did vs Iowa makes them a bit scary. Diamond Miller and Angel Reese are both long,athletic, who can defend guards and wings. Chloe Bibby is also a super vet who stretches the floor. I know they disappointed last year in the tournament but they seem like they are finding a new identity and will be a tough out.

I agree with TeamFirst! about Louisville. Jeff Walz is a great coach who finds a way for his teams to stay in games. I know we've had success against them in the tournament the past couple times, but I do not want to play them. Van Lith can shoot 2-15 in the first 3 qtrs but if there in the game late she just has a fearlessness about her that allows her to close games.

AZ took it to us last year. I know they don't have Aari, but they have a lot of good pieces left and Adia Barnes will have them ready. Last year our offense in that game was just non existent. They didn't allow Paige any easy looks. I can see them defending Paige and Azzi really well with Thomas,Pellington, and Yaney.

Baylor and Iowa State also I think are underrated. Iowa State can get hot and really score and I don't know if we have a great matchup for Joens. Baylor has really improved as the season has gone on which is to be expected with a first year head coach and some transfers.

Reaction Score
Losing to S. Carolina, Ga Tech, Louisville and Oregon isn't a good recommendation for a higher seeding.
But it was the loss to Villanova that's going to really drag UCONN down.
Although, even the most ignorant or obtuse know we will be a better team when everybody returns,
the Huskies will just have to prove it come NCAA tourney time. A 2 seed will be a real longshot even if we win out.
Unless a couple of teams ahead of us go into a swoon.
Side question: Would it be better to be a 3 seed in Bridgeport or a 2 seed in Wichita?
Prior ticket purchases at Mohegan Sun aside.
Some guy once said "What's REALLY the difference in where we are seeded? We would have to play anyone seeded higher than us anyway. Sooner or later."
I think his initials were (and are) G.A.

Reaction Score
Coach’s polls always have ulterior motives. Never objective

Reaction Score
Losing to S. Carolina, Ga Tech, Louisville and Oregon isn't a good recommendation for a higher seeding.
But it was the loss to Villanova that's going to really drag UCONN down.
Although, even the most ignorant or obtuse know we will be a better team when everybody returns,
the Huskies will just have to prove it come NCAA tourney time. A 2 seed will be a real longshot even if we win out.
Unless a couple of teams ahead of us go into a swoon.
Side question: Would it be better to be a 3 seed in Bridgeport or a 2 seed in Wichita?
Prior ticket purchases at Mohegan Sun aside.
Some guy once said "What's REALLY the difference in where we are seeded? We would have to play anyone seeded higher than us anyway. Sooner or later."
I think his initials were (and are) G.A.
I don’t really differentiate too much between a #2 or #3 seed.
Both keep UCONN In the lower half of the bracket and set up a meeting with the #1 in the Elite Eight. (if they both follow form).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom