AP Pre-season All-American Team | The Boneyard

AP Pre-season All-American Team

Reaction Score
I don't doubt that Paige is talented and could very well end up a First All-American this season, but curious when was the last time a player missed a full season due to injury and was still selected a preseason All-American ?
A reasonable question, CBus13.

I'll ask: how often have we seen a player of Paige's caliber when she's healthy, or even close to it? If she's healthy, she'll be there, and everyone knows it.

Reaction Score
A reasonable question, CBus13.

I'll ask: how often have we seen a player of Paige's caliber when she's healthy, or even close to it? If she's healthy, she'll be there, and everyone knows it.

Very true, but is it fair to have these expectations as she returns from injury? No idea if this has ever happened with a player in a similar situation.

I get the expectations due to her status and the UConn reputation but wonder about this at the same time.

Reaction Score
Very true, but is it fair to have these expectations as she returns from injury? No idea if this has ever happened with a player in a similar situation.

I get the expectations due to her status and the UConn reputation but wonder about this at the same time.
I mean Olivia Miles was honorable mention AA and shes returning from the same injury and isn't even confirmed to be playing this year and she hasn't played at Paige's peak level so it seems to track. The truth is Caitlin is the only returning AA guard (on all three levels) that isn't returning from an ACL injury. They needed to pick guards for this so not sure who would slot in that space over Paige anyways. Hailey Van Lith? Georgia Amoore? Osborne? Not sure I'd put either of them over a former NPOY, injury or not but thats just me.

Reaction Score
I definitely think putting those expectations on Paige considering their seriousness of the injuries she has sustained over the years is unfair. I think Aaliyah Edwards should have gotten the nod over her.

Reaction Score
I mean Olivia Miles was honorable mention AA and shes returning from the same injury and isn't even confirmed to be playing this year and she hasn't played at Paige's peak level so it seems to track. The truth is Caitlin is the only returning AA guard (on all three levels) that isn't returning from an ACL injury. They needed to pick guards for this so not sure who would slot in that space over Paige anyways. Hailey Van Lith? Georgia Amoore? Osborne? Not sure I'd put either of them over a former NPOY, injury or not but thats just me.

Missed the honourable list, but I would say the same for Miles as her return to play is unknown. Players can play their way into consideration. It would serve as a good measuring stick as well.

I would consider Georgia Amoore personally. What she has done at VT has been impressive. And in this case, I would have put her ahead of Bueckers based on a "what have you done lately' mindset. She's a great shooter, good defensively and finds her team mates.

Reaction Score
Missed the honourable list, but I would say the same for Miles as her return to play is unknown. Players can play their way into consideration. It would serve as a good measuring stick as well.

I would consider Georgia Amoore personally. What she has done at VT has been impressive. And in this case, I would have put her ahead of Bueckers based on a "what have you done lately' mindset. She's a great shooter, good defensively and finds her team mates.
That's fair, I don't think Amoore has ever played like an first team AA personally but maybe this year will be the year.

Reaction Score
I definitely think putting those expectations on Paige considering their seriousness of the injuries she has sustained over the years is unfair. I think Aaliyah Edwards should have gotten the nod over her.
Aaliyah's not a guard, why would she be over Paige?

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I don't doubt that Paige is talented and could very well end up a First All-American this season, but curious when was the last time a player missed a full season due to injury and was still selected a preseason All-American ?
I don't believe it's ever happened. Brianna Turner is the only All American I can think of who missed a full season before coming back. She was 2nd team in 2016-17 and didn't get a single vote for preseason AA for 2018-19. That said, when healthy Paige is undoubtedly a top 5 player in the country.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I don't see it as a pressure filled situation as much as it's acknowledging she's still considered among the best even if she's missed most of the past 2 years. If people didn't want Bueckers on there, I would've given the last spot to Pili over Edwards. Pac-12 POY, came missed FTs away from beating LSU in the Sweet 16. Cardoso is another one I'm surprised got completely overlooked. I wouldn't be surprised if she's on this list by the end of the season. She is easily one of the very best posts in the country.

Reaction Score
I don't see it as a pressure filled situation as much as it's acknowledging she's still considered among the best even if she's missed most of the past 2 years. If people didn't want Bueckers on there, I would've given the last spot to Pili over Edwards. Pac-12 POY, came missed FTs away from beating LSU in the Sweet 16. Cardoso is another one I'm surprised got completely overlooked. I wouldn't be surprised if she's on this list by the end of the season. She is easily one of the very best posts in the country.
But again, voters were instructed to fill out a line-up that was balanced amongst guards and posts. Having 4 4/5s and 1 point guard isn't a realistic first team AA. The choices to replace Paige are Hailey Van Lith, Georgia Amoore, Osborne from last years AA honorable mentions.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
But again, voters were instructed to fill out a line-up that was balanced amongst guards and posts. Having 4 4/5s and 1 point guard isn't a realistic first team AA. The choices to replace Paige are Hailey Van Lith, Georgia Amoore, Osborne from last years AA honorable mentions.
Is that lineup breakdown confirmed anywhere? Last year the team had 3 centers, a PF (Siegrist) and Caitlin Clark.

If they needed a 2nd guard and didn't want to go with Bueckers due to not playing last year, Olivia Miles (2nd Team AA last year) would be the clear standout, though I'm not sure anyone knows her status going into this season which probably hurt her chances of getting votes.

Reaction Score
Is that lineup breakdown confirmed anywhere? Last year the team had 3 centers, a PF (Siegrist) and Caitlin Clark.

If they needed a 2nd guard and didn't want to go with Bueckers due to not playing last year, Olivia Miles (2nd Team AA last year) would be the clear standout, though I'm not sure anyone knows her status going into this season which probably hurt her chances of getting votes.
Olivia Miles is recovering from a torn ACL and hasn’t ruled out red shirting this season, so that pick is suspect to me. If she returns this season likely looking at January/February.

I do know for preseason at least media was asked to choose a playable team which to me mean more than one guard and a bunch of centers.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Olivia Miles is recovering from a torn ACL and hasn’t ruled out red shirting this season, so that pick is suspect to me. If she returns this season likely looking at January/February.

I do know for preseason at least media was asked to choose a playable team which to me mean more than one guard and a bunch of centers.
This is all speculation. Miles hasn’t confirmed the injury and publicly stated best case scenario is that she plays vs SC in Paris.

Is there any source for the “playable team” voting aspect? Doesn’t match up with the AP team last year, especially considering 5 of the top 7 vote getters last year were centers and a sixth was a PF.

Reaction Score
This is all speculation. Miles hasn’t confirmed the injury and publicly stated best case scenario is that she plays vs SC in Paris.

Is there any source for the “playable team” voting aspect? Doesn’t match up with the AP team last year, especially considering 5 of the top 7 vote getters last year were centers and a sixth was a PF.
Not speculation at all. Neil Ivy confirmed it was an ACL tear in a podcast, around the 4:10 mark in this interview she says " We lost two starters to ACL injuries"

And in the same the same interview Miles said best case scenario is to be ready for SC in Paris, she said she hasn’t ruled out red shirting.
"ND coach Niele Ivey even acknowledged that redshirting Miles remains one “option.”

“Obviously, the goal is to play, but I’m not gonna rush it,” said Miles, last season’s Atlantic Coast Conference Player of the Year runner-up. “I have years in this game that I want to be able to produce and do it healthily, so I’m gonna take my time.” Notre Dame women's basketball: Will Olivia Miles play? If not, Hidalgo set to take reins
All this aligns with an ACL recovery timeline. Best case 6-7 months, more cautiously 10-12 months.

I need to find the article or the tweet for the All-American voting but I read that voters are instructed to vote in a play-able team. That doesn't necessarily mean a playable team would win but the intention is for it not to be dominated by one position or the other. Personally, I am tired of these awards being dominated by centers and powerforwards and would love some more guard and small forward recognition.

Reaction Score
I'm confident that Miles believes she will be ready for the South Carolina game but I'll need to hear it from someone else to believe it. Players, understandingly, tend to believe the most optimistic prognostications.

Reaction Score
I'm confident that Miles believes she will be ready for the South Carolina game but I'll need to hear it from someone else to believe it. Players, understandingly, tend to believe the most optimistic prognostications.
Miles never said she would be ready for the South Carolina game. She said that best case scenario for her recovery timeline would be being available for that game. Two very different things.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Kat Tudor came back from an ACL in less than a year for Oregon St., but I don't think she did herself any favors with that rapid rehab and return. I think it was just too soon. IIRC the injury happened in early January of her Jr. year and she was back for the start (or maybe missed a few games) of her Sr. season.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Kat Tudor came back from an ACL in less than a year for Oregon St., but I don't think she did herself any favors with that rapid rehab and return. I think it was just too soon. IIRC the injury happened in early January of her Jr. year and she was back for the start (or maybe missed a few games) of her Sr. season.

Kellie Jolly came back crazy soon (like 4 months or something) and led her team to a championship in 1997. She was brilliant in the finals and in the upset over UCONN in the Elite 8. She’s the only example I can think of who tore an ACL and came back to play the same season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom