AP POY voting | The Boneyard

AP POY voting

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think I knew this, but I was reminded when I ran across it earlier today. AP POY voting by year:

2008: 1. Candace Parker. 2. Maya Moore

2009: 1. Maya Moore

2010: 1. Tina Charles. 2. Maya Moore

2011: 1. Maya Moore

I guess that you get recognition when you dominate every possession from your first game on.

I was privileged to see Maya in person a dozen or so times. As UConn fans, we are truly fortunate.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
i did not know she was 2nd in AP POY voting as a freshie. that's something special.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Candace Parker was already an established star in 2008, so I think she got the benefit of the doubt. But one can make the case that Maya was arguably the best player in college basketball (that is, as good as Candace, Tina, et al.) for all of her 4 seasons. She was really special.

Having said that, I wonder if others will be at that level. Note that she was BE POY as a freshman (over Angel). Also, Jantel Lavender was Big 10 POY as a frosh. Both were unprecedented.

Playing at that level as a newbie is very, very rare, but Maya showed that it is possible. Can someone else do that?? Players like Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis, Elizabeth Williams, and Breanna Stewart may come close. The point is that Maya rewrote the rules--freshmen can be as good as upperclassmen, at least certain frosh.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
It certainly appeared that Maya was a top player as a freshman, but when comparing stats against top 10 competition and common opponents, statiscally she didn't come close to Candace, Candice, or Fowles, just to name a few. Another indicator is how their numbers looked as underclass players competing with the National team. As a sophomore, Candace was a US team leader, while Maya as a Junior had much lower numbers. Maya had a stellar career, but I wouldn't say the best all 4 years.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
That is the problem of judging just by numbers.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
That is the problem of judging just by numbers.
exactly. DT is the best player in the world. in college, she won the NPOY twice in spite of not averaging over 16 PPG. she wasn't even in the top 50 as far as PPG scoring her last 2 years, but no one could doubt that she was the best.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
It certainly appeared that Maya was a top player as a freshman, but when comparing stats against top 10 competition and common opponents, statiscally she didn't come close to Candace, Candice, or Fowles, just to name a few. Another indicator is how their numbers looked as underclass players competing with the National team. As a sophomore, Candace was a US team leader, while Maya as a Junior had much lower numbers. Maya had a stellar career, but I wouldn't say the best all 4 years.
Against UConn, Candice totalled 40 points, 14 rebounds, and 7 assists in 76 minutes. In the same games, Maya totalled 39 points, 21 rebounds, and 7 assists in 67 minutes. Clear advantage??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom