AP Poll (We're back...kinda) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

AP Poll (We're back...kinda)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Last year we would have lost to both Cuse and Oregon/Iowa. We also would have needed OT to beat Morehead and only beaten UMKC by single digits. I am quite pleased to see UConn's name pop up in any poll this early on into the Hurley era.
More than that, he's doing it with Ollie's players. Goes to show what an improvement the coaching is - especially with players like Cobb. 180 degree turn around from last season.

I also agree it will take time. I still think we are a border line NCAA team (I realize that "getting votes" means we are solid, but Syracuse kind of sucks so I'm not sure that's such a great barometer). But if the guys continue to improve and play hard, and we do well in the American, much is possible! I remain hopeful that we will move from a border line team to a solid NCAA team by early March...

Just trying to keep my hopes and expectations reasonable...

Reaction Score
By that standard we're still pretty low:

View attachment 36501

Though, keep in mind, KenPom hasn't flushed last season out entirely, and won't for a while (5-10 more games, I think).
When every team has played 9 games, all of the teams will be mathematically connected.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Surprised to see Buffalo in the top 25

Why they are well coached returned most of their team from last year... they are a good basketball team.

Reaction Score
Ya. Cuse is still #15. That should tell you KenPom is screwy this time of year.
Thats crazy because coming into the 2k they hadnt looked very good and in the 2k they looked absolutely atrocious. I guess their pg being out is holding them up. Hard to imagine that team being much better even with their pg.

Reaction Score
Last year we would have lost to both Cuse and Oregon/Iowa. We also would have needed OT to beat Morehead and only beaten UMKC by single digits. I am quite pleased to see UConn's name pop up in any poll this early on into the Hurley era.

We started last season very similar to this one. Beat Colgate by 12, Stony Brook by 8, BU by 19, Oregon by 8 (fairly big win at the time although they only turned out to be an NIT team) and lost to MSU by 20. After that loss/without AG the wheels completely fell off and we started to beat bad teams in OT and get blown out by many others.

We should easily win these next three games and that will be a huge improvement from last year.

Edit: Also already clear that Hurley has the "it" factor for long term success including in game coaching and recruiting. My above comments are aimed at how we will do this year only.

Last edited:

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
The results of CR have worked like magic, just as expected.

The AP Polls recently have looked more and more like a CFB ranking, P5 P5 P5. Hell, even middle tier SEC teams are now consistently ranked programs. Must be nice to be in the “free votes just because” club, helps with those meaningless preseason polls that are actually really meaningFUL since they essentially determine the ranking ladder for the season going forward.

Reaction Score
More than that, he's doing it with Ollie's players. Goes to show what an improvement the coaching is - especially with players like Cobb. 180 degree turn around from last season.

I also agree it will take time. I still think we are a border line NCAA team (I realize that "getting votes" means we are solid, but Syracuse kind of sucks so I'm not sure that's such a great barometer). But if the guys continue to improve and play hard, and we do well in the American, much is possible! I remain hopeful that we will move from a border line team to a solid NCAA team by early March...

Just trying to keep my hopes and expectations reasonable...
Doing it with Ollie’s players? Is this to say Ollie did better than Calhoun with his signings?
Just being a jerk here...... of course it’s the same.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure there isn't a single old big east team ranked which is crazy to think about where the conference was in 2011.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
1 game at a time. Take care of business against Cornell. Let's not have any of that Columbia BS this year.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
To hell with the polls
Lets play basketball and the results will speak for themselves
I don't care where UConn is ranked - lets just get into the dance and then we can see the polls in March

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure there isn't a single old big east team ranked which is crazy to think about where the conference was in 2011.
Virginia Tech would be the only OBE or NBE team currently ranked. I think.

Reaction Score
By that standard we're still pretty low:

View attachment 36501

Though, keep in mind, KenPom hasn't flushed last season out entirely, and won't for a while (5-10 more games, I think).

Still got a ways to go -- in other words really can't put a lot of stock in KenPom at the moment given UConn's unique situation of a coaching change, and Alterique Gilbert coming back which I don't think KenPom can truly capture in a preseason analysis

Reaction Score
No idea how Syracuse would get any votes unless you're blatantly not paying attention.

Iowa's really legit.
That’s the thing with these votes, whether it be rankings, MLB gold gloves, etc., half these peeps ain’t paying attention! Sad

Reaction Score
I mean looking at the schedule - I think if we win our game through Arizona, we'll be ranked. Even if Kenpom doesn't love us that much.

Reaction Score
Still got a ways to go -- in other words really can't put a lot of stock in KenPom at the moment given UConn's unique situation of a coaching change, and Alterique Gilbert coming back which I don't think KenPom can truly capture in a preseason analysis

Good to know. I didn't realize it was in there that long.

I know he tries to capture coaching changes, but between the difficulty of that and, as you say, Gilbert (who, unless he he treated as a 5-star HS player or transfer, rather than returning player, would be difficulty), UConn will be a bit underrated in KenPom for a while. Probably until mid-January, when the effects of last season are pretty minimal.

Reaction Score
Feels like we haven't actively debated polling in years. For us to be discussing ratings with relavency again is credit to Hurley.

These debates remind me of the 'happy' days.

Reaction Score
Good to know. I didn't realize it was in there that long.

I know he tries to capture coaching changes, but between the difficulty of that and, as you say, Gilbert (who, unless he he treated as a 5-star HS player or transfer, rather than returning player, would be difficulty), UConn will be a bit underrated in KenPom for a while. Probably until mid-January, when the effects of last season are pretty minimal.
Pomeroy's numbers are not the best. His offense/defense stuff is interesting. But keeping preseason stuff in the mix that long shows that he is either somewhat clueless it biased. Sagarin is better and has been at it for a long time. I am pretty sure his preseason data is not used after all of the teams hit 8 or 9 games. That isn't to say Pomeroy is bad. His rankings just aren't the best.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom