AP Poll Week 4 UConn Ranked 2nd. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

AP Poll Week 4 UConn Ranked 2nd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
2 of SC's 3 first place votes came from Connecticut writers (Fuller & Adamec).
Unbelievable. I had to go check and see if you were kidding!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Unbelievable. I had to go check and see if you were kidding!
Fuller & Adamec probably just want to bust Geno's chops to see of they can get a rise out of him at the next press conference...

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
A team we beat by 60 is ranked 6th!
I do think Mississippi State is over ranked. But as for that 60 point shellacking, time sure flies doesn't it?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Deb Antonelli ranked UCONN 4th. ???

Did anyone else hear Antonelli's extended spiel while commentating SC-Louisville about how UConn, because of its weak conference, only has to lose 2 or 3 nonconference games to be denied a #1 seed for the tournament? I missed the beginning of how she got into a preachy diatribe about the topic, but the part I caught just sounded a bit bizarre, in a "where is this coming from" kind of way.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Did anyone else hear Antonelli's extended spiel while commentating SC-Louisville about how UConn, because of its weak conference, only has to lose 2 or 3 nonconference games to be denied a #1 seed for the tournament? I missed the beginning of how she got into a preachy diatribe about the topic, but the part I caught just sounded a bit bizarre, in a "where is this coming from" kind of way.

And last year she was touting USF beating us. How did that work out for you Debbie?

Reaction Score
Lol, I wouldn't worry about Deb. She, like the rest of WCBB country have hope that someone besides Connecticut can win the championship. She even mentioned during the SC-Louisville game that her FF teams would be ND, SC, Baylor and Maryland. I just laughed. I think my fellow BYers should too.

Reaction Score
4 of the top 5 are undefeated and baylor has 1 loss to uconn. How ironic that uconn could give the other 3 teams their first loss!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
This early in the season I don't sweat the polls. Every team's play on the court will sort itself out in the end. Obviously, UConn wants to be one of the four # 1 seeds come tourney time, which would likely place them in the Bridgeport region, giving them home court advantage, and the inside track, to earn a trip to the Final 4 in Dallas.

In one sense, I do believe that Antonelli's bias, as well as FOTP's Lobo, Fuller & Adamec's votes for someone other than UConn as their #1's, serve Geno well at this point in the season.

Geno likes having his team "under the radar", to the extent any team playing for their 80th consecutive win can be considered under the radar. This team is tired of hearing about the BIG 3. They don't feel they are getting the respect they deserve. That gives them an edge and makes them a very dangerous team to play during this brutally challenging pre-conference schedule.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Don't know how Voters had So Carolina ranked below Baylor. However at least So Carolina had no votes lower then 4th.

IMHO I'll be surprised if South Carolina doesn't go undefeated and if they do lose, it will be one game to UConn. They have all the pieces. If you take into consideration their complete roster, they're more talented then last years UConn Team. Not saying they have any player better then Stewie or Moriah;they don't; but their bench strength is better then last year's UConn team. They have more scoring off the bench. Last years UConn team would have trouble beating this years So. Carolina team. I think UConn would win, but it would be a close game.

No way in the world this years South Carolina team beats last years Connecticut team. Although SC is talented, they would have a hard time getting off shots from the outside like what they're doing now. With Mo handling Gray and Nurse guarding Davis, it would be hard for them to score. Not to mention Stewart all around play and the fact that no one would be able to guard her and Tuck's versatility. Sorry, can't see it. SC may very well win it this year but would not beat UCONN last year.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
These polls are going to fluctuate throughout the year. Each team in the top 5 - 10 is going to improve before NCAA tourney time, it's just a matter of which ones improve the most.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
D.A.s ranking system is highly subjective.

Reaction Score
Don't know how Voters had So Carolina ranked below Baylor. However at least So Carolina had no votes lower then 4th.

IMHO I'll be surprised if South Carolina doesn't go undefeated and if they do lose, it will be one game to UConn. They have all the pieces. If you take into consideration their complete roster, they're more talented then last years UConn Team. Not saying they have any player better then Stewie or Moriah;they don't; but their bench strength is better then last year's UConn team. They have more scoring off the bench. Last years UConn team would have trouble beating this years So. Carolina team. I think UConn would win, but it would be a close game.
Sorry but you are halucinating ! And one thing we have learned in wcbb, is that depth cannot outplay shear talent. !

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I can certainly see Uconn losing a few times in the next month, and given the weak schedules for the other teams playing in their mediocre conferences, a few of them could enter the NCAAs undefeated. :rolleyes:

We talk about the 'tough' conferences, but really -
1. Who is going to challenge Maryland in the Big10 - OSU may get it a bit more together, but ...
2. SC ... TN who can't beat PSU?, KY is doing better than might have been expected given the exodus over the summer, but they always whimper at the end, Miss State could be 'for real' but a step below.
3. ND - the ACC is pretty meh - does Louisville figure it out?
4. Big12 - Baylor and who? TX isn't ready it appears.
5. Pac12 - who is the front runner - lots of teams have stepped up their play in the last few years, but Stanford isn't what it was. They may be the first league to get 8 teams in and have no #1 or #2 seeds!!!

Like Uconn in the old Big East - the top of these conferences has separated from the pack - for all the BE 'toughness' in the last 20 years there were only a handful of years where Uconn was actually challenged. And unlike Uconn, none of these teams has learned how to play at a consistently high level throughout a full regular season. When Uconn is good and they almost always are, you very infrequently see an ND/Green Bay type of game. They don't do 'close' against inferior teams.

All that said - yeah, I could see Uconn getting a two seed, it wouldn't be the end of the world.

And as for Debbie and a bunch of others, I think a lot of it is they desperately want competition in the sport, and they dread Uconn in a 'down' year beating up on the world because that, unlike last year's dream team really would signal a problem with the sport. So I think that colors some of her commentary and I am OK with that. If Uconn were to win through this December, the dread would get deeper and everyone would be pinning their hopes on SC to carry the banner.

Personally i find the ND situation interesting - they are a very good team, but I think they are a bit unbalanced - their strength is in the guards/wings. Both Baylor and SC have a bit more balance I think, and Maryland which is somewhat under the radar might as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom