AP poll, March 13 | The Boneyard

AP poll, March 13

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Up to 6. :) Sorry about the ad, I couldn’t get rid of it. AP Top 25 Women's College Basketball Poll | AP News

3EE3D327-F931-496E-836E-003D59189A39.jpeg

Reaction Score
I suppose it follows the Brackets... UConn at #6 would be 2nd 2 seed. The poll doesn't really matter, except for motivation at this point. The final poll will look much different.

GO HUSKIES

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
More cannon fodder for the young ladies, first they get shunned by the committee then the AP puts this C*** out right before the tournament.

YKCornelius

Yukon to my friends
Reaction Score
CajunHusky, the poll at the end of the link Nan sent out is the current poll. They just didn't update that one column to show the most recent scores. Everything else is correct (ranking and number of votes).

Reaction Score
If there's only one more AP poll coming, Connecticut will finish the season tying Tennessee's all-time record of 565 weeks in the top 25 (Tennessee dropped off in 2016), and will have to wait for the first poll of next season to break the record.

Reaction Score
Indiana loses in their conference tournament and goes up a spot. Iowa wins their conference tournament and goes down a spot.
Goes to show the writers were enamored with Iowa's great run to finish the season. Now that they couldn't add to the, "What have you done for me lately?" scenario, they get dropped in the polls. What else would you expect?

I'm not bothered, I'd probably put them at #5 or 6 myself. Next 2 weeks will be fun!

YKCornelius

Yukon to my friends
Reaction Score
Folks, the AP Women's basketball poll has evolved quite a bit since Mel Greenberg of the Philadelphia Inquirer started it way back in the late 1970s, and unfortunately, not all for the better. While many of the voters perform due diligence in their weekly analysis and review, there are a handful of voters who pander to their readership constituency and adjust their votes accordingly to appease their base. This results in anomalies, usually manifesting themselves towards the bottom of the poll (to include "Others receiving votes"), or in gigantic voting swings from week-to-week. For example, Maggie Hendricks, from Bally Sports out of Las Vegas raised Arizona a full 10 spots on her ballot this week (from #24 to #14) even though Arizona lost its last three games - go figure!

In contrast, the three AP voters with ties to UConn (Carl Adamec, Roger Cleveland and Rebecca Lobo) almost never have large vote swings, and one could argue that they seem to go out of their way to avoid the appearance of bias. This week, for instance they slotted UConn into #4 (Adamec and Cleveland) and #7 (Lobo), which all seem rational at face value.

From week to week it is fascinating to watch how different AP voters react to UConn. Right now, we have a vote range from #2 (one voter, Jeff Linder from the Cedar Rapids Gazette in Iowa (who by the way, dropped Iowa two slots to #4)) all the way to #9 (two voters, Kevin Tresolini from Delawareonline (who actually moved the Huskies down two spots this week!) and the aforementioned Maggie Hendricks). The other 27 voters fall out as follows: #4 (four voters), #5 (5 voters), #6 (4 voters), #7 (8 voters) and #8 (six voters). Quite a spread!

My takeaway? When I was a kid, the AP and UPI polls were gospel. Of course, everything has evolved over the past half century, and yet I foolishly keep holding onto the notion of journalistic integrity, which is what drives me to analyze voting patterns from week to week across the AP voters. Fortunately - at least by my assessment - the majority of AP voters show a consistency, which I I like to think of as a critical component of journalistic integrity. That being said, I don't put much stock in the results of the polls. To me, they are more of a weather vane showing media (or coaching) sentiment towards the teams I want to follow. I won't lose sleep over them!

Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
I would say that it’s refreshing to see Indiana and Iowa at the number 2 and 3 spot rather than say off the top of my head same old same old TN and ND

Reaction Score
I prefer to explore the individual voting to see which voters just flew in from Mars. One of the esteemed media members moved LSU up 5 places from their previous spot That same voter sent Virginia Tech tumbling 4 spots. Another voter moved LSU up 6 places to third, raised ND up a spot (ignoring injuries) and send UConn down 2 places to ninth on their ballot. That individual has consistently low-balled UConn all season and that person’s voting is considered anything but objective. The last one I will mention is the voter who moved LSU up four spots and cratered out Villanova down 8 spots to eighteenth. There are plenty more examples if anyone wants to check it out.
I just read YKCornelius’ post before submitting this post. Everything he reported is accurate and he said it better than I did.

Reaction Score
I would say that it’s refreshing to see Indiana and Iowa at the number 2 and 3 spot rather than say off the top of my head same old same old TN and ND
You saw the same old TN and ND in the seeding though. No way Tennessee should have been a host with the dismal season they had.

Reaction Score
Folks, the AP Women's basketball poll has evolved quite a bit since Mel Greenberg of the Philadelphia Inquirer started it way back in the late 1970s, and unfortunately, not all for the better. While many of the voters perform due diligence in their weekly analysis and review, there are a handful of voters who pander to their readership constituency and adjust their votes accordingly to appease their base. This results in anomalies, usually manifesting themselves towards the bottom of the poll (to include "Others receiving votes"), or in gigantic voting swings from week-to-week. For example, Maggie Hendricks, from Bally Sports out of Las Vegas raised Arizona a full 10 spots on her ballot this week (from #24 to #14) even though Arizona lost its last three games - go figure!

In contrast, the three AP voters with ties to UConn (Carl Adamec, Roger Cleveland and Rebecca Lobo) almost never have large vote swings, and one could argue that they seem to go out of their way to avoid the appearance of bias. This week, for instance they slotted UConn into #4 (Adamec and Cleveland) and #7 (Lobo), which all seem rational at face value.

From week to week it is fascinating to watch how different AP voters react to UConn. Right now, we have a vote range from #2 (one voter, Jeff Linder from the Cedar Rapids Gazette in Iowa (who by the way, dropped Iowa two slots to #4)) all the way to #9 (two voters, Kevin Tresolini from Delawareonline (who actually moved the Huskies down two spots this week!) and the aforementioned Maggie Hendricks). The other 27 voters fall out as follows: #4 (four voters), #5 (5 voters), #6 (4 voters), #7 (8 voters) and #8 (six voters). Quite a spread!

My takeaway? When I was a kid, the AP and UPI polls were gospel. Of course, everything has evolved over the past half century, and yet I foolishly keep holding onto the notion of journalistic integrity, which is what drives me to analyze voting patterns from week to week across the AP voters. Fortunately - at least by my assessment - the majority of AP voters show a consistency, which I I like to think of as a critical component of journalistic integrity. That being said, I don't put much stock in the results of the polls. To me, they are more of a weather vane showing media (or coaching) sentiment towards the teams I want to follow. I won't lose sleep over them!

Go Huskies!
FWIW, Jeff Linder of the Cedar Rapids, Iowa Gazette does a PHENOMENAL job of covering Iowa Girls High School basketball. They have 5 classes and he's on top of all of them: puts out next season predictions after the state tournament, predicts regional pairings for EVERY team as the season winds down, etc. Really puts in a lot of work. Happy to see someone like him agrees with me: I have UConn at #2 as well!

Reaction Score
I prefer to explore the individual voting to see which voters just flew in from Mars. One of the esteemed media members moved LSU up 5 places from their previous spot That same voter sent Virginia Tech tumbling 4 spots. Another voter moved LSU up 6 places to third, raised ND up a spot (ignoring injuries) and send UConn down 2 places to ninth on their ballot. That individual has consistently low-balled UConn all season and that person’s voting is considered anything but objective. The last one I will mention is the voter who moved LSU up four spots and cratered out Villanova down 8 spots to eighteenth. There are plenty more examples if anyone wants to check it out.
I just read YKCornelius’ post before submitting this post. Everything he reported is accurate and he said it better than I did.
Time to get rid of the polls. It's clear they're nothing more than popularity contests. People literally just voting their favorite teams, so if no one is taking these things seriously, then they serve no purpose.

toadfoot

To live will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction Score
Indiana loses in their conference tournament and goes up a spot. Iowa wins their conference tournament and goes down a spot.
That’s the one, besides UConn, that jumped out at me. What are the AP writers smoking?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom