AP Interview: Emmert: Changes needed, but not paying players | Page 2 | The Boneyard

AP Interview: Emmert: Changes needed, but not paying players

Reaction Score
...They need to make all rules that reflect college baseball
If these kids think they can get the same deal and make the same impact coming out of high school - fine let them go
But if they do enroll in school its a minimum 2 year commitment with free room and board, etc Far from slavery

College baseball is minimum of 3 years or age 21 (whichever comes first) if not signed after high school and not coming out of JUCO.

Reaction Score
So many of these universities have a major problem now with their facilities. When you owe $300m on facilities, there is no way you can make an ethical decision here. You can't pretend that you are cool with an NBA minor league if there is a huge talent dropoff, and that leads to lower revenues, when you're on the hook for that much money.

I suspect that almost all the schools would be OK with a semi-pro system, but I am telling you they cannot have a system of students getting paid. Can't happen. For so many good reasons. But I suspect they would be OK paying players to represent the school.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
What a difference it is for me to jump from this thread and see that my friends' daughter's team has won today, advanced to the DIII Sweet 16, and would play against my alma mater next weekend for a Final 4 berth if both win their next game. I'm interested in learning tomorrow or Monday where the games will be played and could imagine attending if it's in Amherst.
Go figure.

Reaction Score
No mutuality here, it's an unequaled exchange. Kid and family agree to a one year scholarship with many conditions in exchange school gets darn near unfettered athletically related use of the athlete. No way is the relationship mutual. And hypothetically if the athlete can be fired, then the athlete should be afforded labor law protections, including the right to unionize. It's really simple, continue to work under this fraudulent assumption and so called illegal payments will continue, at every level I might add. I experienced it during my recruiting process, during AAU, and as a college athlete and that was almost thirty years ago.
I only played D3 football. I recently had a former teammate have double hip replacement and another double knee replacement directly related to college football. That's only D3 football. I could only imagine what D1 guys go through. No academic scholarship is worth being crippled and with the recent findings about The damage football does to its players you can't use the "free" education argument anymore.

If people don't want to use the word "slavery" to describe what the NCAA is doing you Have to at least call it a well organized hustle.

Don’t play sports then. Nobody is forcing anyone into playing college sports. Quit complaining, college athletes will never get paid and quite frankly that’s why college basketball is amazing.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Don’t play sports then. Nobody is forcing anyone into playing college sports. Quit complaining, college athletes will never get paid and quite frankly that’s why college basketball is amazing.

As I said in another post, the market will eventually dictate how all shakes out. As families of top recruits gain greater familiarity with this NCAA notion of amateurism as an impediment to defining NCAA athletes as employees in the marketplace their families will begin to opt to play where they receive satisfactory value, where ever that may be. This may include a package contemplating tuition for college. College sports, without significant reform, will capture other recruits and families satisfied with their valuation tied to the one year renewable scholarship. You, as a fan, sure you can continue to enjoy, but the athlete and the game will change. Whether it improves or worsens will be left up to you to decide.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom