Ap: Boise State, Uh,ucf,navy,,smu Invitrd | The Boneyard

Ap: Boise State, Uh,ucf,navy,,smu Invitrd

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Interesting they are going forward as planned in spite of WV. Of course anonymous sources are always accurate.

Reaction Score
There is really nothing new in this report. And it doesn't report they have been invited, it reports that they will be. that's a new story?

"invited" and "will invite" are very different. We've been hearing "will invite" for a long time now.

"A person familiar with the decision says the Big East will invite Boise State, Navy and Air Force for football only and SMU, Houston and Central Florida for all sports."
I'm not saying it won't prove to be true, or to stop, but I don't understand why every AP report that is nothing more than the same report that has been kicking around for weeks now needs a new thread.

Reaction Score
So if these teams join before the 27 month period how doe sthe shceduling work. WVU, Pitt and SU were not allowed to vote or be a part of this expanssion and its not the same BE that they agreed to the 27 month period with.
I would think that if the BE expands this much these three teasm will be in their new conferences in the 2012 season for all sports. There will be a negotiated buy out to forgo the 27 month period. Otherwise all hell breaks loose when these teams are told thye are playing so and so.

Reaction Score
I'm not surprised about Boise State. Their president would sell his soul to get into an AQ league. I am surprised about Navy.

Reaction Score
Taking Marinatto at face value, he stated no school would be invited unless the BE knew it would accept.

Reaction Score
Feels like we've been ready to invite these schools for the past few weeks. Wake me up when it's offical and they accept

Oh, and Marinatto better be 100% certain that any school invited to apply for membership will actually apply. Last thing this league needs now is more egg on its face.

Reaction Score
I have to admit I was kind of hoping to see BYU in there as well

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Taking Marinatto at face value, he stated no school would be invited unless the BE knew it would accept.
Who says that? You just do it. Man that guy is such a small timer.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I have to admit I was kind of hoping to see BYU in there as well
I think it was a smart move not going for BYU. If WV plays out the way many of us believe than the B12 most likely will go for BYU. They can always be invited later.

Wing U is correct. There still hasn't been formal invites or acceptances. The good news is there hasn't been formal rejections.

Reaction Score
So if these teams join before the 27 month period how doe sthe shceduling work. WVU, Pitt and SU were not allowed to vote or be a part of this expanssion and its not the same BE that they agreed to the 27 month period with.
I would think that if the BE expands this much these three teasm will be in their new conferences in the 2012 season for all sports. There will be a negotiated buy out to forgo the 27 month period. Otherwise all hell breaks loose when these teams are told thye are playing so and so.

They have plans drawn up for a 14 team fb league and 19 team bb league already. They said that sometime last week I think.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
It's official. The presidents have voted to extend the invites.

Reaction Score
There is really nothing new in this report. And it doesn't report they have been invited, it reports that they will be. that's a new story?

The new part is that the BE has approved the invites and Marinatto will be contacting the schools (officially, unnamed) in the next few days.

Reaction Score

You would "hope" that conference partners for 30+ years would understand that in order for the league to keep their BCS status they need 8 teams playing together continuously for 2 years. The league needs SyraPitt to stay to meet that requirement while integrating this new teams. Then after 2013 the league will easily meet that requirement and the 3 can leave. Of course if this is all about screwing your partners then by all means they should try to get out and leave the other members without access to the BCS.

Reaction Score
WVU, Pitt and SU were not allowed to vote or be a part of this expanssion and its not the same BE that they agreed to the 27 month period with.
... Otherwise all hell breaks loose when these teams are told thye are playing so and so.

Oh poor them.

Reaction Score
Looks like most of the schools are getting their formal invites now.

First up, SMU:

@JHopkins247 "Source confirms #SMU is expected to announce Friday their acceptance of formal Big East invite."

Reaction Score
You would "hope" that conference partners for 30+ years would understand that in order for the league to keep their BCS status they need 8 teams playing together continuously for 2 years. The league needs SyraPitt to stay to meet that requirement while integrating this new teams. Then after 2013 the league will easily meet that requirement and the 3 can leave. Of course if this is all about screwing your partners then by all means they should try to get out and leave the other members without access to the BCS.
doesn't the bcs agreement have to be renewed or reworked or something in 2014 anyway? if so what difference does it make if syracuse and pitt stay, when the new big east will have to gain acceptance to the bcs in 2014 regardless?

Reaction Score
I would think that if BCS status was not "up in the air" with the timing of these defections that the league would let everyone leave without a fight. If it is as you say orangehomer then I agree, let the 3 leave. But I don't think that is the case, hence the fight we are seeing now.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
While I get the interest in being in a league with more tradition rich programs, I would also like to be in a league with programs with more institutional integrity than WVU, Syracuse, Miami, BCU and Pitt. It's one thing to try and trade up, it is quite another to attempt to destroy your former conference partners in the process.

I am looking forward to the new league.

Reaction Score
doesn't the bcs agreement have to be renewed or reworked or something in 2014 anyway? if so what difference does it make if syracuse and pitt stay, when the new big east will have to gain acceptance to the bcs in 2014 regardless?
in my opinion at least the BCS is not going to become more exclusive while there is already a pending lawsuit but we shouldnt give them any more reasons to take away the bid

Reaction Score

That's not how it works. The Big East is a BCS conference and will be one as long as it's recognized as the Big East by the NCAA, unless it's revoked. There is no gaining acceptance. As long as the league qualifies as the Big East it will be in the BCS unless the criteria are changed. In order for it to be recognized as the Big East by the NCAA it needs to have 8 members who have played together under the Big East banner for at least 2 years. That is why it won't matter if we can get 2 or 3 teams to join for next season but if that timeline doesn't work out for the Big East additions we can't afford to let anyone out before 2014. More will be known once the invites are sent and accepted and the timetable for new members joining is made public. If the Big East can get enough members for next year I'm sure we'll just as soon take $25m or so to leave early and just be done with you.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
When does the increased $10MM exit fee officially increase? Is it when the invited schools officailly accept? I am still holding out hope that we will get an ACC invite just before the increased exit fee goes into existence.

Reaction Score
The new part is that the BE has approved the invites and Marinatto will be contacting the schools (officially, unnamed) in the next few days.
The linked report has changed significantly since I made my post. The "new part" is basically the entire article. When I responded there was literally nothing new in that report, and nothing at all about the presidents voting.

Reaction Score
Who's next in line? The University of Phoenix? Is ITT Tech fielding a squad next year? Jesus. Just put a bullet in the damn conference and put it out of it's misery.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
While I get the interest in being in a league with more tradition rich programs, I would also like to be in a league with programs with more institutional integrity than WVU, Syracuse, Miami, BCU and Pitt. It's one thing to try and trade up, it is quite another to attempt to destroy your former conference partners in the process.

I am looking forward to the new league.
Thank god we're bringing in the poster child stalwart of institutional integrity, SMU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom