Ap All-american Team, Coaches Poll Coming Out Today | The Boneyard

Ap All-american Team, Coaches Poll Coming Out Today

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
My guess: The coaches poll should look like the writers poll, with some small differences.

I believe the AP All-American team has only 5 players. My guess is that they will list several teams.

1st team: Griner, Nneka, Skylar. Who else?? Tiffany? Some Tennessee player? Prahalis? Chiney? Hampton? Others?

Additions on edit: EDD, Syms?

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
I don't think it should be Prahalis. She didn't even get the Media vote in the Big Ten - it went to Alex Bentley. However, her name is recognizeable. Stricklen will be on there.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I don't think it should be Prahalis. She didn't even get the Media vote in the Big Ten - it went to Alex Bentley. However, her name is recognizeable. Stricklen will be on there.
Re Sammy, I was thinking the recognition factor might do it. But, as we know, some of the recognition was not positive.

Reaction Score

I guess I don't quite get Stricklen as being as good as 1st team AA r top 5. Not saying she is bad, just one of top 5 players in country or even best player in SEC seems like I'm missing something. She has made herself a respectable 3 point shooter, has decent size and agility for a wing (poor PG), guess is that don't see her as a go to player when its winning time, maybe that she was stripped of her captains role as a senior (leadership?) , not really sure.
Assuming Simmons plays the 2 and still doesn't see a situation where her shooting is better than passing to an open teammate, the new PG handles the ball a lot, Glory is the "inside mismatch" and whoever is playing the center they try and get her the ball inside - Stricklen will have a tough time consistently having an impact on games. Shooting from outside she is third option (assuming PG makes herself the 2nd) and inside the 3rd option after Glory and the center. Now if she plays like Angel, then I'm wrong and she is a 1st team AA and will impact every game, if she plays like Ann S. she will be good but not AA.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
Husky68: I agree with you. I just think that the person selected as SEC Preseason POY will get picked even though her impact is not as large as it could have been at UT. I think Glory is the best player on UT even though she can disappear at times. However, I think both of their games improve with the additon of Massengale as long as Simmons doesn't take more than a dozen shots per night.

I love Massengale's game and truly feel she will make a big difference for them this year.

Reaction Score
Skylar Diggins
Shenise Johnson
Nnemkadi Ogwumike
Brittney Griner
Elena Delle Donne

Reaction Score
Offical List
No UConn players on AP preseason All-American team

Baylor junior center Brittney Griner, selected by all 40 voters, led the preseason Associated Press All-American team which featured no UConn players.

Griner was joined on the squad by Notre Dame's Skylar Diggins, Nneka Ogwumike of Stanford, Shenice Johnson of Miami and Tennessee's Shekinna Stricklen.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I think Stricklen is the best player on Tenn and part of Tenn's problem last year was that she didn't act like it. She allowed Simmons to act as if she were the team's best player. Having said that, it is a bit awkward for a preseason AA to be stripped of the captain's role by her coach. Glory Johnson is more an excellent athlete than she is an excellent basketball player. She does feast on bad SEC teams.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I forgot the Miami kids. My bad.

I prefer NCorBust's list--Elena over Stricklen

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Offical List
No UConn players on AP preseason All-American team

Baylor junior center Brittney Griner, selected by all 40 voters, led the preseason Associated Press All-American team which featured no UConn players.

Griner was joined on the squad by Notre Dame's Skylar Diggins, Nneka Ogwumike of Stanford, Shenice Johnson of Miami and Tennessee's Shekinna Stricklen.

Can you repeat it one more time to make sure we have it?

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Is there anything less valuable than a pre-season AA poll?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Is there anything less valuable than a pre-season AA poll?
In some ways, very true.

On the other hand:

1. It sets some expectations. At the end of the year, one can see who "underperformed" and who "overperformed."

2. Considering that many of the prior year's end-of-season AAs were seniors, it indicates who are the best of the returning players. I could go to last year's list and cross off the seniors, but AP saves me the effort.

3. Like the team ranking/poll, it generates news, discussion, and excitement over the upcoming season.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think Stricklen is the best player on Tenn and part of Tenn's problem last year was that she didn't act like it. She allowed Simmons to act as if she were the team's best player. Having said that, it is a bit awkward for a preseason AA to be stripped of the captain's role by her coach. Glory Johnson is more an excellent athlete than she is an excellent basketball player. She does feast on bad SEC teams.
I think Tennessee is like UConn in one regard. They have a lot of good players, but it may not be clear who is the best. Is Stricklen really better than Johnson? Or Simmons? Or maybe even Massengale? I think she's good but top 10-20 good, not top 5.

Who is the best player on UConn? I think that's a tough question. Tiffany is a reasonable snswer. But so are both Bria and Stefanie. I'm not sure if Kelly's offensive game would get her the nod, but she is very good. I have a gut feeling it's not any of them, but #23 again.

DieHardHusky

The Blue Guy
Reaction Score
Good to see Stef get on the honorable mention list, but here's hoping both her and Tiff can prove everybody wrong this year!

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
In all the talk of the talent of the players on the top teams, one thing comes to my mind. Nobody else has Geno Auriemma, the man who seems capable of bringing out the best of the best.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Some people actually find this to be exciting. Some others get jacked up by forgettable sports events like baseball's fair catch rule or intentional passes.

Football offers quarterbacks "taking a knee."

All in the eyes of the beholder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member