AP All American [merged thread] | Page 2 | The Boneyard

AP All American [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
At least eight of those selected for 1st and 2nd team AA get to watch on TVs in their dormitories as Kaleena, Stef and Kelly play in New Orleans.

And I believe that our "Three to See" would rather be playing in the Final Four than being selected by AP voters.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
How true, Kib, how true. Maybe all three can make the FF all tournament team. Because if all three do you know they will be bringing home some hardware.

Reaction Score
I think that KML deserved the first team honors over Odyssey Sims. Maybe that is my bias towards uconn, but KML is just as important as Sims to her respective programs success. KML has better numbers on paper. I know Sims is overshadowed by Griner, but I think the AP made a mistake here. Again, the uconn bias.

That being said, congrats to all players receiving honors and especially congrats to our 3 players!

Reaction Score
Can't really argue with the top5. When was last time team had top player and another AA 1st team and not get past sweet 16 (and no injury reason). Says something about LV win.
Why have 3 centers on 3rd team and none on 2nd?
Looking at this as best returning players next year, Uconn will be favored like Baylor this year. I'd take Hartley, Stewart, MJ, Tuck and Stokes over just about all the honorable mention players and some of the 2nd/3rd non Uconn players.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I was thinking this morning (before the team was announced) that KML definitely would be on the first team... then I thought who would you leave off.

Sakibomb25

Yamasaki Let the Good Times Roll
Reaction Score
Looking at this as best returning players next year, Uconn will be favored like Baylor this year. I'd take Hartley, Stewart, MJ, Tuck and Stokes over just about all the honorable mention players and some of the 2nd/3rd non Uconn players.

I'd venture to say that UConn will be more favored next year than Baylor was last year. You have four potential All-Americans: Mosqueda-Lewis and Dolson are givens, while a more mature Breanna Stewart and a healthy Bria Hartley are good bets as well. So that's four All-Americans on next years team, not to mention a super sophomore in Morgan Tuck. Throw in the speedy Moriah Jefferson and there's a boatload of talent and depth, more so than Baylor this year.

UConn is definitely the one to beat and could go undefeated next year. I really don't see who has the talent to challenge them.

Reaction Score
Sims making First Team over KML is preposterous. She was invisible for large stretches this season.

KML was also better than Diggins this season (and she's just a better player period), but there was no way Skylar was getting left off.

Reaction Score
I'm sure KML sent the voters this message: "Whatever, let them be the AA first team, I'll rather celebrate a chip with my teammates on april 9th." ;)

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
KML earns 2nd team, Dolson earns 3rd team and Faris for honorable mentions

Who's voting for these ???

Apparently there were 40 voters. I don't know whether AP will identify them or not; presumably they parallel the list of voters who do the weekly polls to determine rankings.

Only a very few wcbb writers are "national," like Voelpel or Hays, so it begs the question: How many of these players did the typical writer actually observe?

Chances are that many players get overlooked, especially those out west (e.g., Clarendon of Cal). It is also likely that excessive reliance is placed on stats, which are heavily weighted towards offense.

Finally, there is surely some concern in voters' minds when voting for more than one player from any single team, er, program. Two seems to be tolerable (e.g., Griner-Sims, Williams-Grey, Diggins-McBride), but three appears to be difficult for them to digest. (My view is that each of the three UConn players got pushed down one level.)

I mention these factors to illustrate the inevitable subjectivity of these AA teams and to warn Boneyarders that UConn may drive voters nuts next year. As another poster has pointed out, it is possible, if not likely, that they must consider KML, Stef, Bria and Breanna next year, not to mention two dark horses named Morgan and Moriah. If so, fairness and objectivity will not prevail. So get ready.

Reaction Score
Only one i would argue with is Sims.....first team.......Lewis,Thomas,or Mathies deserves it more,IMO

Reaction Score
The best way to send voters a message is with an autographed photo of a National Championship Award...

Reaction Score
that EDD was not unanimous means that at least one voter apparently has not been watching the tournament.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Only one i would argue with is Sims.....first team.......Lewis,Thomas,or Mathies deserves it more,IMO

Sims has the reputation as one of the best defenders in the country. I am actually surprised that she is not in the running for Defensive Player of the Year.

Reaction Score
that EDD was not unanimous means that at least one voter apparently has not been watching the tournament.

Voting was done before the tournament. And at that point there were a bunch of doubters here, most of whom probably never saw her play this year prior to the tournament.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Voting was done before the tournament. And at that point there were a bunch of doubters here, most of whom probably never saw her play this year prior to the tournament.

If there were voters who had never seen her play, shame on them. They missed out on watching an incredible player and should not have been voting.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'd take KML over just about anyone. She'll make one of the other first teams. Stef may too.

I agree--Kelly did shut down the entire 2nd team (except KML). She'll be the steal in the draft.

I'm surprised that Skylar was unanimous. I'm also surprised that EDD wasn't closer to unanimous.

I disagree with Thomas finishing so high.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom