Anyone want to say sorry to Ollie?

scoobydoo

1977 & 1974 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Just curious?

Recruiting must have been tough. Think about the top 40

Duke, UNC, KY and KS are going to take 10/40

Say Adidas "takes" another 15 or so for powerhouses like Auburn, Miami, USC etc

Now, you have a everyone from UConn to Villanova to SU to Michigan to TX etc. fighting over a much smaller pool

(Assuming Nike and Under Armour aren't also in it, shrinking it even more.)

Reaction Score
No, not really? I think he's a great guy, he's won us a chip, he recruited well early on, he sucked as a coach last year and his recruiting has dropped off recently. Unless only started handing cash to kids two years ago I don't think this fully exonerates his recruiting failures, as much as his apologists would like. I'm happy with some of the recruits brought in recently but still think we should do better. I'll let the whole Adidas story come out before writing off some of KO's major flaws as outside his control, thanks.

Reaction Score
Ollie has all the resources he needs and the program history of UConn. Today's news is frustrating, but there is no reason why he can't succeed playing by the rules and just being himself. He's an affable guy with a staff that has turned a corner. I know the Blaze metaphor is nonsense, but it is a mentality and a strategy. KO is finding a groove and perhaps will be even more motivated by today's news.

Reaction Score
PaHusky said it well. Ollie's coaching was subpar the last few years and last year's recruiting class was one of the worst in UConn history. Beyond that extreme negativity, I feel that his valley has prepared him to climb to great mountains again. I think in life we have seasons of despair and turmoil and this sure seemed like it for Coach. Not sure what else explains how the consummate grinder in the NBA to last for so long became a lazy recruiter and bad coach other than one of life's inevitable personal storms.

Really pulling for Coach. I think when he's right, he's the right man for the program! He seems to have found his passion again.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
PaHusky said it well. Ollie's coaching was subpar the last few years and last year's recruiting class was one of the worst in UConn history. Beyond that extreme negativity, I feel that his valley has prepared him to climb to great mountains again. I think in life we have seasons of despair and turmoil and this sure seemed like it for Coach. Not sure what else explains how the consummate grinder in the NBA to last for so long became a lazy recruiter and bad coach other than one of life's inevitable personal storms.

Really pulling for Coach. I think when he's right, he's the right man for the program! He seems to have found his passion again.

:oops:

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
He needs to revamp his stagnant offense. Would like to see uptempo ball with scores in 80's, not 50's.
And can't lose to America east schools.

Can you remind me when the last time UConn lost to Albany, Binghamton, Hartford, Maine, New Hampshire, Stony Brook, UMBC, or Vermont was?

Reaction Score
Just curious?

Now, you have a everyone from UConn to Villanova to SU to Michigan to TX etc. fighting over a much smaller pool

Oh stop. I'm not an Ollie detractor but this is dumb. I don't even want to get into all of the reasons why.

Reaction Score
Here's a list of other Adidas schools:

Miami FL
NCSU
Mississippi St.
Texas A&M
Kansas
Indiana
Rutgers

Makes you wonder if Rutgers uptick in recruiting (i.e. Montez Mathis) is tangled up in this FBI investigation.

Reaction Score

Miami FL
NCSU
Mississippi St.
Texas A&M
Kansas
Indiana
Rutgers

Makes you wonder if Rutgers uptick in recruiting (i.e. Montez Mathis) is tangled up in this FBI investigation.
You'd better hope not. It'd make UConn look real suspicious. Those are all UConn guys up at Rutgers

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
PaHusky said it well. Ollie's coaching was subpar the last few years and last year's recruiting class was one of the worst in UConn history. Beyond that extreme negativity, I feel that his valley has prepared him to climb to great mountains again. I think in life we have seasons of despair and turmoil and this sure seemed like i

How about you let em play a minute before writing them off.

Reaction Score
No, not really? I think he's a great guy, he's won us a chip, he recruited well early on, he sucked as a coach last year and his recruiting has dropped off recently. Unless only started handing cash to kids two years ago I don't think this fully exonerates his recruiting failures, as much as his apologists would like. I'm happy with some of the recruits brought in recently but still think we should do better. I'll let the whole Adidas story come out before writing off some of KO's major flaws as outside his control, thanks.

He lost two of his three best players at the very beginning of the year, had to play with 7-8 players some of them very young and inexperienced and had to play zone with no depth on the bench (I won't even mention the shortcomings of his seniors). As we saw not all the players last year were ten toes in. But still he had the team playing very hard and fighting till the bitter end. I think the intelligent fan would give him a pass for last year. He's the reason we have a very talented perimeter this year and the potential to be a very dangerous team.

Reaction Score
There is no reason to apologize or not apologize until this season plays out. UConn was extremely young and lost two big pieces early on last year. Granted, they didn't look too good before then, but it more about how you finish the season. That said, Ollie needs to address a few things. First, the perimeter defense must be better. This team cannot, just can't give up those wide open threes. Second, he needs to get something out of the big men. If we're watching games and wishing for Amida Brimah to be back, this team is in real trouble. Vital, Larrier and Gilbert must step up. Jalen can't do it by himself. He is a warrior, but I worry about him injury wise if he has to play the minutes he played year with as hard as he plays.

If they don't make a tournament this year, Ollie's job will be in real jeopardy, short of a spring signing of Shittu or other 5 star recruit.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Just curious?

Reaction Score
I think KO is doing a great job recruiting now, but I don't want to put him under a do it this year or else threat. We have to see improvement and competitiveness against good teams, positive steps. I know there are many calling for his head if no tourney this year but at the end of 19 season things should be clear.

Reaction Score

Miami FL
NCSU
Mississippi St.
Texas A&M
Kansas
Indiana
Rutgers

lordy, could u imagine if Kansas is named?

Reaction Score
we dont even know what the punishment is going to be? UNC was allowed to win a title under investigation. I'm not holding my breath until action is actually taken

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom