Anyone Think It Odd | The Boneyard

Anyone Think It Odd

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I know one needs a reminder, since it was just last night. We saw teams of every seeding jumping up and down in various venues. ( See Women's basketball: Teams react to NCAA tournament seeding)

But did I just blink and miss UConn? I believe it was that way last year too. I get it if it is a "others hold a party, we practice" type of thing. Certainly there was no drama for UConn's placement. Still, I wonder. Did I just miss it?

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I believe it's up to each individual team to decide whether or not they want that moment filmed for telecast. It's also possible the deal with HBO might include exclusive rights to televise that.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I believe it's up to each individual team to decide whether or not they want that moment filmed for telecast. It's also possible the deal with HBO might include exclusive rights to televise that.
Not hardly, the NCAA owns all those rights and ESPN has the exclusive rights as part of their contract to televise.

No Rocky, you did not miss it. It's more of "been there, done that,with bigger fish to fry" is my thinking.

Reaction Score
UConn has a group celebration and cuts nets only after winning a national championship- too exausting otherwise.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Not hardly, the NCAA owns all those rights and ESPN has the exclusive rights as part of their contract to televise.

No Rocky, you did not miss it. It's more of "been there, done that,with bigger fish to fry" is my thinking.

Well, that is my take too. Everyone else is coming after us; we practice, we don't party.

Reaction Score
Same reason UCONN does not cut down the nets until they win the National Championship. The prize is the shiny object at the end of the quest. Another way that they separate themselves from the pack.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Well, that is my take too. Everyone else is coming after us; we practice, we don't party.

I didn't see UConn. Nor Notre Dame. Or Stanford. On the other hand, I was getting so ticked off at the way ESPN handled that show, I probably just ran into see who our opponents were, then back to dinner! Head bang ;)

At this point, I suspect teams like that - UConn chief among them -- are not content with being at the door to the bank. They're only happy when they're in the vault.

Reaction Score
Wouldn't it be ingenuous for the team to leap around in joy when, due to their undefeated season, their RPI, their 107-game winning steak, etc., UConn's seeding and placement were 100% predictable?
Oops, I meant "disingenuous", not "ingenuous".

Reaction Score
The team has its viewing party somewhere on campus. I'd guess these days in their lounge in the practice facility. The last time we got video footage of it was in 2015 and that was after the fact during the final episode of the Geno Project series.

Reaction Score
I don't ever remember The UCONN Team being part of the televised part of the Selection Show. Sometimes there is a clip by Geno or an interview but I never remember seeing the team.

Reaction Score
I don't ever remember The UCONN Team being part of the televised part of the Selection Show. Sometimes there is a clip by Geno or an interview but I never remember seeing the team.
They've done the team in the past, but it's been years. It's probably not that interesting to be honest. There was plenty of UConn on the selection show nonetheless, just not of the team's live reaction.

Reaction Score
While other teams were celebrating, the Uconn girls were getting a good chunk of the next 3 weeks homework out of the way.They absolutely know they'll be busy that long.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I didn't see UConn. Nor Notre Dame. Or Stanford. On the other hand, I was getting so ticked off at the way ESPN handled that show, I probably just ran into see who our opponents were, then back to dinner! Head bang ;)

At this point, I suspect teams like that - UConn chief among them -- are not content with being at the door to the bank. They're only happy when they're in the vault.
FYI - They did have a shot of ND and Stanford. I think a lot of those shots were sent in by the teams and not ESPN cameras.

Reaction Score
I saw a shot of the UConn players, too, in the Werth practice facility. I think it was a still shot.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
FYI - They did have a shot of ND and Stanford. I think a lot of those shots were sent in by the teams and not ESPN cameras.

Thx. As I said, I started losing all patience with the selection show by the 40-minute mark and started wandering in and out.
Never in a million years would I think I'd say this, but enjoyed the way CBS ran their show more....got the match-ups out, then come back for interviews.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I know one needs a reminder, since it was just last night. We saw teams of every seeding jumping up and down in various venues...

But did I just blink and miss UConn?

I queried that (perhaps on a different site) as well, as I didn't remember them carrying on last year in this manner...
My memory doesn't go back further than that.

I suspect Geno is disinterested in such obvious camera-encouraged shenanigans.

I could understand the University of Southern, North Dakota in Hoople getting excited to be playing UConn (in Peter Schickele's Musical Pathology) but for the rest...?

For our bunch, it's business as usual (and a tough climb indeed).

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
UConn was also setting up their facebook live streaming so they weren't exactly camera shy!

Reaction Score
disingenuous? Not suggesting they'd leap around. Usually just happy campers hanging on Kathy and Geno's furniture.
There you go Rocky, what were you thinking? :confused: Some writer or talking head will see this and in a day or two we'll all be hearing.....
THE UCONN WOMEN'S BASKETBALL TEAM ARE BAD FOR FURNITURE! ;) :D

Reaction Score
I remember an interview from either last year or this year and Geno said that one time previously during the selection show, ESPN put so much emphasis on UCONN that it took away from all the other teams. He said he was actually embarrassed by the amount of attention paid to UCONN and not to everyone else.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom