Anyone surprised by Ohio St's beatdown of Cincinnati? | The Boneyard

Anyone surprised by Ohio St's beatdown of Cincinnati?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
Cincy plays College of Charleston soon. Let's see how that works out. I'd imagine they win the game by double digits. I will be going to the UConn game in Cincy this year :cool:

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Foster played Hill and Stokes nearly the entire game.. Run up the score much, Jim?

Nice sportsmanship, not.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Both played 40 minutes in the game against ND, maybe their replacements aren't ready for prime time.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Both played 40 minutes in the game against ND, maybe their replacements aren't ready for prime time.
A 38 point win over Cincinnati is not prime time. If Foster can't prep a couple of guards to play in that game, he's not much of a coach.

Reaction Score
A 38 point win over Cincinnati is not prime time. If Foster can't prep a couple of guards to play in that game, he's not much of a coach.

I'm no Foster apologist, but I think you're laying it on a little thick. First, neither one played 40 minutes. They played 34 and 36 minutes due to two reasons: 1) they have no point guard and they are figuring it out 2) the other option for point guard was in foul trouble. Foster played more players double digit minutes in their 38pt win then Geno did in his 64 pt win. What's the difference between KML playing 31 minutes in a 64pt win and Stokes playin 36 in a 34 pt win? Geno would probably tell you certain players need to be on the court for the others/offense/defense to function. There is plenty to criticize Foster about but the amount of playing time his two stars got against a team coached by a former UConn great is not one of them.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I agree with RJP, but what I really find interesting is how quick some are to "jump" on one of Geno's (apparently) better friends in the business. And while it was a number of years ago (Cappie was still at RU) I was at a USA Basketball scrimage in Boston where Geno brought the UConn team to watch their teammate that was on the team. Foster was coaching one of 2 USA squads, and spent the entire other game sitting in the stands with Geno chatting.

I can't see Foster (or most coaches) running up the score. There are some (CVS is one) who don't really care about the score, they will play the players they will play to develop their own team as best they can. As a result, you might actually win by 50 a game you should have won by 30 (or win it by 10 when it should have been 30). I suspect that was what Foster was doing.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I would expect the "regulars" to see a large amount of time in these kinds of games early in the season when a coach wants the chemistry to build, have the conditioning in order, and especially get the younger "regular" players into the longer stretches. I think the only player in UConn's C of C win I was a little surprised didn't see more time was Stokes. In UConn's case, one little problem with not running the score up is that there isn't such a big drop off in talent on the bench. Shot clocks make it almost impossible for a vastly superior team not to crush a really inferior opponent. Wasn't it Geno who said something to the effect that it wasn't up to him to keep the score down, but up to the opponent to get better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom