Anyone seen the box score? | The Boneyard

Anyone seen the box score?

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Horrible 3 point shooting by the starters (2-17) and the team was out rebounded by USF 42-26!!!

I think it must be jet lag. :D

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
The strategy by USF--in part used due to health circumstances--is pretty much the perfect one for foiling the Huskies. Slow the game to a crawl, reducing possessions; play tough, physical defense that attempts to keep Collier out of the lane; concede long jump shots to anyone not named Samuelson.

UConn playing on a razor's edge this year.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Horrible 3 point shooting by the starters (2-17) and the team was out rebounded by USF 42-26!!!

I think it must be jet lag. :D

The rebounding is really a worry for me. They stayed with Baylor rebounding (I think Baylor, who are among the national leaders in margin, outrebounded UConn by about three). Now against South Florida at home they're outrebounded by 16? I'm at a loss.

Reaction Score
Geno said it best in the post game presser. They expect to make most of their shots, so they do not get in a position to get the offensive rebound. It you go back and rewatch the game you will notice that a lot of the time, when UConn shoots a jumper, there is only 1 UConn player in position to get the rebound versus 4 or 5 of USF's.

On the defensive rebound side, they just look slow and out of position. USF got a lot of the long and semi-long rebounds, because UConn players were to far under the basket on the jumpers.

Reactions: DD2
Reaction Score
Geno said it best in the post game presser. They expect to make most of their shots, so they do not get in a position to get the offensive rebound. It you go back and rewatch the game you will notice that a lot of the time, when UConn shoots a jumper, there is only 1 UConn player in position to get the rebound versus 4 or 5 of USF's.

On the defensive rebound side, they just look slow and out of position. USF got a lot of the long and semi-long rebounds, because UConn players were to far under the basket on the jumpers.
I call it lazy!
The UConn tradition is just the opposite. They are known for an intensity regardless of score or situation. That and the quality of individual that plays at UConn equals consistent winning.
BTW I can’t remember the last time they shot so damn well. There is shooting flaws IMO. Crystal shoots too far out. One person on earth should be allowed to do that- Steph. Meg doesn’t use her legs. Reason her shot is too flat. Try shooting sometime with your legs straight. Got to bend your knees. Phees- got to go back to the drawing board. Best thing for the team and her future. Smooth out all of those hitches. Lou needs to shoot higher, not from her chest, a la her idol Larry Bird.
Nicest shots I enjoyed today were the 3’s by Molly and Kyla. They took their time, on balance, fundamentally sound, bottom.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty positive that trying to change your shooting technique at this point in a season will guarantee missing shots the rest of the year. I recommend the team ignore your piece of advice regarding shooting.

You clean it up now, while you’re playing sisters-of the poor. You ever played sports?
You hit 10 straight tee shots into the woods. What do you do?? Well, I go to the range and fix it. I guess you keep hitting it in the woods. Well, sorry to break the news, Phees’ jumper is OFF.

Reaction Score
You clean it up now, while you’re playing sisters-of the poor. You ever played sports?
You hit 10 straight tee shots into the woods. What do you do?? Well, I go to the range and fix it. I guess you keep hitting it in the woods. Well, sorry to break the news, Phees’ jumper is OFF.

And since you have ZERO idea if the shots are going through the net in practice, I suggest letting the actual coaching staff make the recommendation.

Reaction Score
And since you have ZERO idea if the shots are going through the net in practice, I suggest letting the actual coaching staff make the recommendation.
Why participate in a blog, if that is all you have to say!!
It’s fun to talk sports.
Geno can be wrong. Of course I can be wrong and you can be wrong.
If I was the coach, I would take the outside J away from her. That’s what coaches do. They put their team in the best position to be successful. Sometimes players feelings are bruised. You build her back up in practice by helping her become more fundamentally sound. Then when she’s earned it back, you give the J back to her and hopefully it helps the team be more successful.
That’s sports. You change things. You adjust. You work on things.
These are spectacular, world-class athletes. They are not china dolls.

Reaction Score
Brilliant post!!
I got lambasted last week for poo-pooing that idiotic suggestion that we had jet-lag at Baylor. Give me an f..ing break. An hour and a half flight to Texas. Anyone who watched the HBO series knows that no one except maybe AirForce 1 travels better than UConn women.
They are in a funk period!! Not playing hard!! Key players playing poorly!!
Funny, no one spoke up for me in that thread. That’s why this blog lacks substantive discussions.

MD, you are quite comfortable with your observations obviously. Just a friendly note, you may want to throttle back a little. ;)
Not that anybody needs it but your like to message ratio will go down quickly with the comment, That’s why this blog lacks substantive discussions. You have to realize the fan base you are dealing with here and except it for what it is. Geno can be snarky, Geno can be hard on a player and tell it like it is. Not so much for commenters even if they are right. Not everyone here has ever played or coached the game, to many these are just their adopted daughters. Anything that might be considered harsh is not accepted by most. You are bad mouthing their girls sad to say.
I made a comment last season about a players bad shooting "she is throwing up bricks" that brought a lot of admonishment. This even though it is a common term among players, coaches and writers of any level of the game. :confused:
I would love to comment on where I think this team is at and why, and where they will end their season. Just don't think it would go over for conversation here. Again just a friendly note on substantive comments.
Oops , just saw another comment come in from you. These are spectacular, world-class athletes. They are not china dolls. YIKES .....

Reaction Score
MD, you are quite comfortable with your observations obviously. Just a friendly note, you may want to throttle back a little. ;)
Not that anybody needs it but your like to message ratio will go down quickly with the comment, That’s why this blog lacks substantive discussions. You have to realize the fan base you are dealing with here and except it for what it is. Geno can be snarky, Geno can be hard on a player and tell it like it is. Not so much for commenters even if they are right. Not everyone here has ever played or coached the game, to many these are just their adopted daughters. Anything that might be considered harsh is not accepted by most. You are bad mouthing their girls sad to say.
I made a comment last season about a players bad shooting "she is throwing up bricks" that brought a lot of admonishment. This even though it is a common term among players, coaches and writers of any level of the game. :confused:
I would love to comment on where I think this team is at and why, and where they will end their season. Just don't think it would go over for conversation here. Again just a friendly note on substantive comments.
Oops , just saw another comment come in from you. These are spectacular, world-class athletes. They are not china dolls. YIKES .....
Thanks for your constructive criticism. Tremendously well-stated. I’d love to get lucky and land next to you at a bar some time.
I hear you loud and clear.
I like to be provocative and talk hoops.
Funny, today, earlier, I thought about not posting anymore, just using the site for replays and pressers.
I just found out I got a snow day tomorrow (I’m a teacher), so I got a fit of feistiness! Thanks again!

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Thanks for your constructive criticism. Tremendously well-stated. I’d love to get lucky and land next to you at a bar some time.
I hear you loud and clear.
I like to be provocative and talk hoops.
Funny, today, earlier, I thought about not posting anymore, just using the site for replays and pressers.
I just found out I got a snow day tomorrow (I’m a teacher), so I got a fit of feistiness! Thanks again!
I do not mind anyone that posts critical posts, provided that they back their opinions up with some facts. What I do find interesting though, is that on a board about basketball you state your love to be provocative before your love to talk hoops. Not sure what that says about you. Oh never mind, I am sure! ;):rolleyes:

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Didn't see the game (Deer Valley Utah)
But a peek at the box score is sure demoralizing

Reaction Score
Teams do get sluggish and have slow starts. Hope the energy level will go up as the season progresses. Some of you may have noted that Louisville had a lower scoring game than we did. That may get our ranking back to 2 tomorrow.

Reaction Score
The strategy by USF--in part used due to health circumstances--is pretty much the perfect one for foiling the Huskies. Slow the game to a crawl, reducing possessions; play tough, physical defense that attempts to keep Collier out of the lane; concede long jump shots to anyone not named Samuelson.

UConn playing on a razor's edge this year.
Right on. I'm continually surprised at how many people are still clinging to the idea that this UConn team is a powerhouse. Baylor showed everybody the blueprint if they've got the athletes to execute.

Reaction Score
Welcome to what's it like being a fan of any other women's basketball team, 2012-present! ;P

You're right...................I think out teams may be going in opposite directions at least for next season.....................let's see if Geno can seriously up his recruiting game for 2020 and turn the ship around quickly............

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom