Anyone pay for The Athletic? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Anyone pay for The Athletic?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Purely speculative, perhaps revenues from ads, linked-website sales, etc complement subscription revenues ???

they dont have any ads. thats the whole point.

Reaction Score
>>Subscriptions cost $10 a month or $60 a year, though many customers have signed up at lower promotional rates. The site’s average annual revenue per subscriber is roughly $64, Mather said.<<

Yeah - that math didn’t work - Bloomberg isn’t what it used to be in calling out/clarifying the “how does 2+2=5”.

Because lots of people probably sign up on the 10/month because that is easier for them to swallow than the 60/year. Having worked on subscription products before consumer behavior doesn't always make the most rational sense. Lots of people subscribe thinking "I probably won't like this so don't want to commit to the year"...and then just auto-renew.

Reaction Score
Because lots of people probably sign up on the 10/month because that is easier for them to swallow than the 60/year. Having worked on subscription products before consumer behavior doesn't always make the most rational sense. Lots of people subscribe thinking "I probably won't like this so don't want to commit to the year"...and then just auto-renew.

That makes sense - wanna write for Bloomberg?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

with how hard they push their discounts id be shocked if that is true. its private they can claim whatever they want.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I guess they are counting on getting people hooked and then getting full price. I have to say, I am now hooked and would pay full price. It’s so enjoyable to read good content without ads disrupting your reading. The interface is so smooth.

Reaction Score

This is a factor, and also the average joe does not try to game pricing structure in these scenarios - most people are lazier than that. I, for example, had no idea when my promotional year expired and just got auto-renewed for $60 :D. So while it may seem like "everyone" is getting a reduced price, it's really a vocal minority.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
lets say they are being honest. that’s not even $32 million a year in revenue. they are burning though cash quickly.

Reaction Score
lets say they are being honest. that’s not even $32 million a year in revenue. they are burning though cash quickly.

Exactly - no way they are cash flow positive.

I checked - I'm on the annual plan - and I'm definitely too lazy to cancel it on iTunes and wait to resubscribe to save money.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

I checked - I'm on the annual plan - and I'm definitely too lazy to cancel it on iTunes and wait to resubscribe to save money.

you dont really have to wait. the-athletic.com/solidverbal is 40% off an annual sub. and pretty much every writer they have tweets a discount every other day

Reaction Score

Ok - so I cancelled the auto-renewal. So when it is up will see what kind of deal I get :)

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
>>Subscriptions cost $10 a month or $60 a year, though many customers have signed up at lower promotional rates. The site’s average annual revenue per subscriber is roughly $64, Mather said.<<

Yeah - that math didn’t work - Bloomberg isn’t what it used to be in calling out/clarifying the “how does 2+2=5”.

Not a subscriber, but it would appear there's some premium content there (e.g. fantasy football) that's over and above the basic sub. Plus there's revenue from partners who make offers (e.g. ticket to a particular event) served to specific user profiles (personally anonymous, but using details such as which teams are followed).

Number still seems high, but wanted to point out there are other revenue drivers beyond just the basic subscription.

(anyway, the annual price is certainly not as bad as Bloomberg, which uses a $1.99 intro that becomes a $34.99 monthly charge. Which is too bad as I love Bloomberg content, but not for $420/year.)

Reaction Score
So now that my subscription is up - I'm getting $9.99/month or $59.99/year (save 50%!) as my offer. Basically the base deal. Anyone know where I can find a discount greater than that?

Edit: Found One

(https://www.couponbirds.com/codes/theathletic.com?key=8011082367364 )

$29,99 for the first year.

Just saw this one $24 ($23.88 actually) ->The Athletic

4D37B05C-830F-4087-AE6B-A53FA3DCA5DD.jpeg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69