Anyone pay for The Athletic? | The Boneyard

Anyone pay for The Athletic?

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
With football and basketball season coming up, I have been tempted to subscribe.

Is it worth it?

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Ok...I am sold. I will look for a deal as the season gets closer.

I follow a couple of their writers on twitter, and they seem like they put out interesting content.

Thanks for the responses.

Reaction Score
I got it for $16. They will do some big discounts prior to CFB.

I can’t even imagine how much cash they are burning.

Did you subscribe the first week they were out? I've never seen it that low.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Did you subscribe the first week they were out? I've never seen it that low.

The first year I got it for $20. Then I didn’t renew until I got a 70% off that was $16 I believe.

I see 60% off a lot, don’t know if I’ve seen the 70% other than trying to bring me back.

I even got a T-Shirt the first year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I just signed up. When can i cancel so it doesn't auto renew for 60 bucks?

I usually set a calendar appointment reminder 30 days out from expiration - then call to try to negotiate renewal @ same rate (or something else south of full boat). If I get nowhere, then start to process a cancellation.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
You can customize teams, leagues, sports and writers to your feed. There is a comment section as well and the writers do respond to your comments and after each article is a feedback button about how much you liked the article. Pretty soon, it will be the last man standing per se of sports journalism behind the UConn Daily and the esteemed John Silver!!

Reaction Score

I usually set a calendar appointment reminder 30 days out from expiration - then call to try to negotiate renewal @ same rate (or something else south of full boat). If I get nowhere, then start to process a cancellation.
Thanks for that link.

Reaction Score
You can customize teams, leagues, sports and writers to your feed. There is a comment section as well and the writers do respond to your comments and after each article is a feedback button about how much you liked the article. Pretty soon, it will be the last man standing per se of sports journalism behind the UConn Daily and the esteemed John Silver!!
True, true

Lot of talk what the exit plan of the investors is. Lot of people in the industry, and even over in Bristol on the editorial side, want to see it succeed. They are outbidding Disney for talent. I do know that .

There has to be a big media play to burn the cash they are burning. No one pays full price either. Wonder if amazon would purchase it for a big multiple and roll it into prime.

That has to be the exit plan. Something like that.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
So I signed up and set up teams that I follow, and the first email they sent me was an article about “Jet linebacker Darron Lee”. Um...he was traded to the Chiefs a couple months ago. Bad start...lol.

But...I love the format. I think I will like it.

Reaction Score
Agree with Whaler. Definitely worth it - but wait till you get the discount. Not that it isn't worth full price, but if they are going to give it away, might as well take it :)

Reaction Score
chance that they generate $63 per sub? what are they selling the data for if that is true?

sounds about as true as netflix viewership numbers
>>Subscriptions cost $10 a month or $60 a year, though many customers have signed up at lower promotional rates. The site’s average annual revenue per subscriber is roughly $64, Mather said.<<

Yeah - that math didn’t work - Bloomberg isn’t what it used to be in calling out/clarifying the “how does 2+2=5”.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom