Anyone know why players do this? | The Boneyard

Anyone know why players do this?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Caroline Ducharme often has the white tape on her ear like these two players. Is it to cover ear piercings? If so, why not just remove the earring?

I seem to recall some kind of tempest in a teapot thing about a player - Notre Dame? @Dillon77 - that has some issue with an ear piercing, or am I misremembering?

IMG_3088.jpeg

Reaction Score
Caroline Ducharme often has the white tape on her ear like these two players. Is it to cover ear piercings? If so, why not just remove the earring?

I seem to recall some kind of tempest in a teapot thing about a player - Notre Dame? @Dillon77 - that has some issue with an ear piercing, or am I misremembering?

View attachment 102391
At the HS level you are not allowed to wear jewelry. In some cases where it is possible to remove, they can cover it with tape.

Reaction Score

View attachment 102391
Husky Nan- - It was Olivia Miles on Notre Dame who had problems with jewelry NOT removed or covered about 2 years ago!

Reaction Score
Some piercings close up quickly if you take them out for the extended period of time. And some hurt to take out as well. It’s more convenient to cover them up for 2 hours that go through the process of removing and reinserting.
That is particularly an issue for new piercings. In soccer, for example, it sometimes becomes a big issue in youth soccer because players are required by rule to remove jewelry. Players will tell the referee that they are not allowed to remove it because it was just pierced, and sometimes arguments will ensue with the referee who insists on following the rules. There are soccer referees, however, who will allow it if it is taped, which could theoretically expose them to a liability issue.

The rule against jewelry does not just apply to youth soccer, but rather to all levels. Not sure how often it is enforced at the highest levels.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
i never figured out why anybody uses any decorative jewelry in the first place. i think it's nonsense -- another cultural absurdity ... say i'm a curmudgeon, but i'm willing to change if someone can enlighten me.

Reaction Score
i never figured out why anybody uses any decorative jewelry in the first place. i think it's nonsense -- another cultural absurdity ... say i'm a curmudgeon, but i'm willing to change if someone can enlighten me.
Which culture? Piercings are seen differently depending on the culture.

Second, it can be seen as a fashion choice. It won't be to everyone's taste but the person who decided to do it.

You're more than entitled to your perspective and don't have to change it. Understanding that everyone is entitled to their perspective is all that matters.

Reaction Score
That is particularly an issue for new piercings. In soccer, for example, it sometimes becomes a big issue in youth soccer because players are required by rule to remove jewelry. Players will tell the referee that they are not allowed to remove it because it was just pierced, and sometimes arguments will ensue with the referee who insists on following the rules. There are soccer referees, however, who will allow it if it is taped, which could theoretically expose them to a liability issue.

The rule against jewelry does not just apply to youth soccer, but rather to all levels. Not sure how often it is enforced at the highest levels.
When I was a high school basketball referee it was mandatory to remove jewelry. NO exceptions.

Reaction Score
While the referee may choose to ignore the rules, wearing jewelry at the high school or college level is illegal under the respective basketball rules - even if it is covered with tape.
I retired and moved from Ct. ten years ago, but that surprises me. So when Westhill plays Stamford the refs will refuse to let a player play with tape over jewelry ?? They MAKE them take it out OR sit out ? Seems to me they’re looking for trouble not avoiding it.

Reaction Score
When I was a high school basketball referee it was mandatory to remove jewelry. NO exceptions.
Where did you referee ? I coached in Ct. from 1973-2014 and that wasn’t the case. Although I admit to becoming old and senile.

Reaction Score
I retired and moved from Ct. ten years ago, but that surprises me. So when Westhill plays Stamford the refs will refuse to let a player play with tape over jewelry ?? They MAKE them take it out OR sit out ? Seems to me they’re looking for trouble not avoiding it.
That is the rule in all 50 states, and in the NCAA. But there are a lot of referees who stupidly ignore the rules. By doing so, they put themselves at risk for a lawsuit. I have seen a number of players get injured due to jewelry.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Where did you referee ? I coached in Ct. from 1973-2014 and that wasn’t the case. Although I admit to becoming old and senile.

The NHS has banned wearing earrings during games for many years. And there are no exceptions for having it taped up.

Recently they started allowing jewelry in certain sports, such as baseball and cross country, where the chance of serious contact is not high.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The NHS has banned wearing earrings during games for many years. And there are no exceptions for having it taped up.

Recently they started allowing jewelry in certain sports, such as baseball and cross country, where the chance of serious contact is not high.
Track & field - the amazing Sha'Carri Richardson

Sha'kari Richardson.jpg

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
That is the rule in all 50 states, and in the NCAA. But there are a lot of referees who stupidly ignore the rules. By doing so, they put themselves at risk for a lawsuit. I have seen a number of players get injured due to jewelry.
By Their own or by another players jewelry?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score

View attachment 102391
I noticed the same thing with Alanna Smith yesterday watching the Lynx.

Reaction Score
For the original question, appears they are taped over cartilage piercings and not their earlobes. I think cartilage ones are a higher risk of infection if you remove them. They’re really not supposed to be removed often, even after being healed. Better to just leave them in. But I could be wrong.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I've noticed that some WNBA players are wearing nose studs without covering them. A'ja covers hers. I never noticed this before but maybe that's simply I didn't watch all that many games in the past.

Reaction Score
IAABO New Haven Board 10, from 1993 - 2005. We served New Haven county, plus a few schools in Middlesex and Fairfield counties, boys and girls.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom