Anyone know where KML is this year in the WNBA? | The Boneyard

Anyone know where KML is this year in the WNBA?

Reaction Score
Anyone know where KML is this year in the WNBA? I do not see her on the Sun team roster, nor do I see any record of her being signed elsewhere in the league.

Reaction Score
The last information I can get from Google is:

Feb. 20, 2020,
The Connecticut Sun announced Monday that they have acquired former UConn star Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis in a trade with the Seattle Storm.

The Storm will get the Sun's second-round pick in the 2021 draft in return.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The last information I can get from Google is:

Feb. 20, 2020,
The Connecticut Sun announced Monday that they have acquired former UConn star Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis in a trade with the Seattle Storm.

The Storm will get the Sun's second-round pick in the 2021 draft in return.
That announcement is 15 months old. Since there doesn't seem to be any recent information on her, it appears that she's out of the league, at least for the time being. I can't find any information about her that would suggest otherwise. I googled her too, as well as searched the WNBA official website which is current as of yesterday May 16, 2021 with respect to active players in the league. I perused the entire list of players transactions dating back to September 10, 2020. I did not see her name listed for any transaction between then and Saturday May 15.

In a release on the Sun's official website dated April 23, 2021, it announces their finalized 2021 Sun training camp 22-player roster. She's NOT on it.

KML has been located. Kudos to our esteemed colleague Kaizen, he found her. She's in France playing for "Nantes Reze Basket" France LFB Women's team. See his post below.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That announcement is 15 months old. Since there doesn't seem to be any recent information on her, it appears that she's out of the league, at least for the time being. I can't find any information about her that would suggest otherwise. I googled her too, as well as searched the WNBA official website which is current as of yesterday May 16, 2021 with respect to active players in the league.
Newest,

January 19, 2021.

Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis signs at Nantes - Basketball News ...in France

https://www.eurobasket.com/France/news/662547/Kaleena-Mosqueda-Lewis-signs-at-Nantes?Women=1

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I was hoping she’d get picked up by another team and I also didn’t realize her contract with Connecticut was for just one year. I’m still surprised that Seattle traded her for Morgan. Love Morgan but I felt KML fit better in their system. Here’s hoping she gets signed next season!

Reaction Score
Those that have followed the WNBA for any length of time with a degree of objectivity. knew it was just a matter of time before her WNBA career would be over. Frankly it should have happened at least three seasons ago and I don't know why the Storm carried her for so long. The quality of catch and shoot 3pt players has increased exponentially in the last ten years. So much so that it is not necessary to carry a defensive liability to get her level of production. Last season it became obvious that it would be her last when by seasons end she was getting no floor time. The opposing teams were just letting her assigned player take her off the dribble when ever she was on the court. She could not watch anyone. She had only been hanging on due to her reputation. She was a one trick pony who's one trick was no longer worth the effort.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
I think she’s athletic enough.

I agree with you. She’s just not in shape.

IMO, if KML took this WNBA season to get in really good shape and work with a trainer on defense, she could have a stellar European season next winter and be back to the league next summer.

She has the basketball IQ and the elite shooting to be there, she just doesn’t currently have a body that allows her to be successful at the WNBA level.

Reaction Score
One of the best long-range shooters of all-time. Its too bad she didnt have enough athleticism to dominate in the WNBA.
Her stats in the WNBA do not bear that out. I have followed her since she was a Jr in high school. Her body underwent a metabolick change during her time at UConn so that it was nothing like she was in highschool. That often happens to players. And it affects guards more than any other position. The same thing happened to Littleton who is now at S. Carolina.

KML was very fortunate to end up at UConn because it the talent around her put her in the position to not only take the best advantage of her skill ( open looks ) but also it was able to mitigate her defensive weaknesses. There are far better catch at shoot players at every level in todays game. Her release is not that quick and she does not present a threat off the dribble. At her peak in the NBA she aways was a liability on defense. And the offense vs defense trade off was kept getting worse the longer she played in the league. She was nothing more than a spot player for Seattle her entire time there. You guys just were looking at her through UConn homer glasses.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

IMO, if KML took this WNBA season to get in really good shape and work with a trainer on defense, she could have a stellar European season next winter and be back to the league next summer.

She has the basketball IQ and the elite shooting to be there, she just doesn’t currently have a body that allows her to be successful at the WNBA level.
I 100% agree with you.

Reaction Score
I 100% agree with you.

She has been playing basketball professionally for 6 years and you don't think she is in shape. She is in as good of a shape as she is going to get. It a metabolism problem. Even at her physical level when she entered the league she was a liability on defense. Let me break it down for you using stats.

At UConn she was a career .447 % 3 pt shooter. Thats really good but their are people who shot as well or better but did not have the advantage of playing for a loaded high profile team. .

Even discounting her lack of quickness and defense her offensive game did not translate that well to the WNBA. At UConn there were many other elite player that the defense had to pay attention too.. That translated to a lot of open looks. Players are faster in the WNBA and close on shooters quicker. Catch and shoot players need a far quicker release and hers was not especially quick. Her 3 pt career shooting percentage in the WNBA was .337 %. It is more telling that in play off games it dropped to .125 %. and because of this she seldom even saw the floor. She was basically a spot player who they put in to see if she was hot or not. None of these percentages justified her even being on the team however the Storm took her as the second pick and teams have a tendency to keep their top picks longer than they should. Especially since the preseason is not long enough for any lower draft pick to show what they can do. It was her reputation alone that kept her in the league this long. It certainly was not her play as her stats shoe.

There was an entire thread on this very subject a couple seasons ago. It is obvious that none of you ever even watched any of the games she played in for Seattle. I even remember a thread on the subject of how well her game would translate right after she was drafted by Seattle and it seems some of either do not read a lot of threads or you just have bad memories.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
She has been playing basketball professionally for 6 years and you don't think she is in shape. She is in as good of a shape as she is going to get. It a metabolism problem. Even at her physical level when she entered the league she was a liability on defense. Let me break it down for you using stats.

At UConn she was a career .447 % 3 pt shooter. Thats really good but their are people who shot as well or better but did not have the advantage of playing for a loaded high profile team. .

Even discounting her lack of quickness and defense her offensive game did not translate that well to the WNBA. At UConn there were many other elite player that the defense had to pay attention too.. That translated to a lot of open looks. Players are faster in the WNBA and close on shooters quicker. Catch and shoot players need a far quicker release and hers was not especially quick. Her 3 pt career shooting percentage in the WNBA was .337 %. It is more telling that in play off games it dropped to .125 %. and because of this she seldom even saw the floor. She was basically a spot player who they put in to see if she was hot or not. None of these percentages justified her even being on the team however the Storm took her as the second pick and teams have a tendency to keep their top picks longer than they should. Especially since the preseason is not long enough for any lower draft pick to show what they can do. It was her reputation alone that kept her in the league this long. It certainly was not her play as her stats shoe.

There was an entire thread on this very subject a couple seasons ago. It is obvious that none of you ever even watched any of the games she played in for Seattle. I even remember a thread on the subject of how well her game would translate right after she was drafted by Seattle and it seems some of either do not read a lot of threads or you just have bad memories.

Of course she's in shape, she wouldn't even be part of the conversation if she wasn't minimally physically capable. But I look at what Stef Dolson has had to do with her food and fitness regimen to stay relevant. I look at what Sami Whitcomb had to do to even break into the W. I see what Jessica Shepard did while she was recovering to better herself for the league. Being in shape isn't enough -- there is another level needed to be truly successful in the W. I'm pretty confident that if KML spent a full year working with a trainer and dietician to make choices better catered to her body and her workout needs, she could make that jump and be more successful.

All of her stats would improve if her body was in a better competitive place.

And, yes, I've watched plenty of her games in the W. Proud League Pass subscriber...

Reaction Score

Being in shape and being in peak physical performance are totally different. To say it is a metabolism issue is ridiculous. It is a nutrition issue. There are so many examples of people that have transformed their fitness levels and ones that have not. DT, Sue have transformed their fitness levels with proper nutrition and conditioning. Dolson, look at B Jones on the Sun. Her dedication to fitness and nutrition has dramatically changed her performance and is a starter. Look at the ones that didn’t take it seriously. Danielle Adams, Shoni. Taylor Townsend in women’s tennis. Would you say their problem is metabolism as well? It’s definitely not.

Reaction Score
It's a little disturbing that some here think that KML is somehow to blame for her physique. If you look at her body, she has very broad shoulders and a barrel chest, and very broad hips. Family DNA has conspired to give her a body not suited to high level athletes. Just because Sue and Diana have suceeded in improving their fitness does not mean everyone can do the same thing. Steph Dolson improved her fitness, but she is still a big girl with a big body - and happens to play a position where catch and shoot is much less expected.

The idea that it is only some lack of commitment that is KMLs problem is the worst sort of stereotype about people who are heavier.

On the other hand I'm thinking French food is not conducive to improving one's fitness.

Reaction Score
It's a little disturbing that some here think that KML is somehow to blame for her physique. If you look at her body, she has very broad shoulders and a barrel chest, and very broad hips. Family DNA has conspired to give her a body not suited to high level athletes. Just because Sue and Diana have suceeded in improving their fitness does not mean everyone can do the same thing. Steph Dolson improved her fitness, but she is still a big girl with a big body - and happens to play a position where catch and shoot is much less expected.

The idea that it is only some lack of commitment that is KMLs problem is the worst sort of stereotype about people who are heavier.

On the other hand I'm thinking French food is not conducive to improving one's fitness.
Are french fries vegetables? I know green M & M's are.

Reaction Score

I'm sorry, but your post is also slightly disturbing. You are calling her hips, shoulders, chest all this and that. I have never examined her body to that extent, and neither should any fan. Her body is hers, and it's not any of ours to just gawk over on a message board. I mean we can, and many are... and so here we are. I think one look is all it takes to know that she can get into better shape. And if she cannot, then she is out of the league. I think it is so extra for fans to take the route of trying to defend her bone structure and build.

Do you want an honest answer? She is no where in the league because her 3 point shooting isn't a valuable commodity. Most 3 point shooters nowadays need to also be able to play defense, or at least offer something else. She offers 3 point shooting, and is extremely exploitable defensively. I agree with the posters previously that said she wasnt made for this league. She was lucky to play at UConn where she was consistently surrounded by other All-Americans and could get open looks. That's why shes not in the league. Not because of her hips and shoulders. Unless she has a metamorphosis, her game will not translate to the league.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom