Anyone know what men's CBB team Geno considered leaving UConn for? | The Boneyard

Anyone know what men's CBB team Geno considered leaving UConn for?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Just wondering. Apparently he had a offer and came close to taking it.

Reaction Score
No one will believe this but I am sure it was UMass. We were at the Motor City Bowl dining with the head of the UConn Foundation and it was dinner conversation.

He said Geno wanted the job but absolutely wouldn't go through a protracted interview process -- and didn't want to be competing against other coaching candidates. In other words "take me or leave me" but nothing pubic until the deal was signed.

I remember thinking, of all places why that hot mess.

Reaction Score
This story does not describe UMass. He may have had interest at a different time, but in this case Geno's daughter was upset about them moving far away. UMass does not fit that bill.

I had thought of Kansas because of Lew Perkins but it may have been Oklahoma.

It wasn't UCLA. And I doubt Okla St.

Reaction Score
No one will believe this but I am sure it was UMass. We were at the Motor City Bowl dining with the head of the UConn Foundation and it was dinner conversation.

He said Geno wanted the job but absolutely wouldn't go through a protracted interview process -- and didn't want to be competing against other coaching candidates. In other words "take me or leave me" but nothing pubic until the deal was signed.

Man, as UMass grad and involved with the Mullins Center and the Mens Bball team, I would have eaten this up. I already had chosen UMass years ago in part because I could get CPTV in the dorms!

Reaction Score

It was not UMass. You can take that to the bank.

Reaction Score
He was offered an extremely high paying (rumored at $50,000,000 per year to start) head coaching position at the University of The twilight Zone, located on the planet Grautobomali in the galaxy known as L8ge5tg6534fdr. Unfortunately they have been unable to reach a satisfactory resolution to the subject of time and its relationship to Geno's future.

CL82

Reaction Score
This story does not describe UMass. He may have had interest at a different time, but in this case Geno's daughter was upset about them moving far away. UMass does not fit that bill.

I had thought of Kansas because of Lew Perkins but it may have been Oklahoma.

It wasn't UCLA. And I doubt Okla St.
Kansas had Bill Self (perhaps the dirtiest coach in basketball). It wasn't looking.

UCLA fits the description best. I could see why that particular institution would be appealing to him.

Oklahoma... shrug... not so much.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
He was offered an extremely high paying (rumored at $50,000,000 per year to start) head coaching position at the University of The twilight Zone, located on the planet Grautobomali in the galaxy known as L8ge5tg6534fdr. Unfortunately they have been unable to reach a satisfactory resolution to the subject of time and its relationship to Geno's future.

How many years on that contract? Is the UTZ in a Power 5 conference?

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Washington Generals, But he didn't think it would be right to break the Globetrotter's record.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Duke. He admires their ability to get service industry jobs for the alumni, particularly as waiters and waitresses.

CL82

Reaction Score
Duke. He admires their ability to get service industry jobs for the alumni, particularly as waiters and waitresses.
Again Coach K wasn't going anywhere so he could not have had an offer there.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Again Coach K wasn't going anywhere so he could not have had an offer there.

I was joking, in reference to his quote that Duke has as many grads working as waiters and waitresses as UCONN has, regarding Brittany Hunter's father insisting she go to Duke because it's a better school.

CL82

Reaction Score
I was joking, in reference to his quote that Duke has as many grads working as waiters and waitresses as UCONN has, regarding Brittany Hunter's father insisting she go to Duke because it's a better school.
Geno actually has said that Duke is one of the men's jobs that he's consider leaving UConn for.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom