Anyone have any word on what Sanogo is doing this summer? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Anyone have any word on what Sanogo is doing this summer?

Reaction Score
Lol it is crazy to compare Sanogo to Okafor, but this kid has only been in college one year so who knows.

While we're at it, let's hope for Ray Allen in Hawkins, Khalid El-Amin in Diggins, & Deandre Daniels/Akok mix in Samson Johnson :)

Reaction Score
Lol it is crazy to compare Sanogo to Okafor, but this kid has only been in college one year so who knows.

While we're at it, let's hope for Ray Allen in Hawkins, Khalid El-Amin in Diggins, & Deandre Daniels/Akok mix in Samson Johnson :)
Maybe it’s that I want to see that potential in him, don’t know and we can highlight his defensive flaws but can’t shot blocking and defense be taught?

Reaction Score
Maybe it’s that I want to see that potential in him, don’t know and we can highlight his defensive flaws but can’t shot blocking and defense be taught?
I think what people are reacting to is Emeka's, athletic ability, quick jumping and timing on defense to block shots were natural. Those aspects of his game weren't taught.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think what people are reacting to is Emeka's, athletic ability, quick jumping and timing on defense to block shots were natural. Those aspects of his hand weren't taught.
In the past we’ve had plenty of big man disappointment but Sanogo seems to be a willing student. He had to learn what we’ve seen him do so far and was that natural? Hopefully he’s working on what he needs. I know one thing, he has more promise that any recent 5’s. Also Hurley hinted he should have played him more at times. I want him out there, only way to learn and improve if we want him to be good in the future.

Reaction Score
Just to answer the thread title - This summer Sanogo is unfairly being hyped and... I can't believe I'm reading this - compared favorably by some to Emeka Okafor, because he averaged 7pts and 4.8 rebounds per game and didn't trip over his own feet 5 times per game because we haven't had a good freshman big in 10 years so the fanbase is ungodly thirsty.

Reaction Score
Just to answer the thread title - This summer Sanogo is unfairly being hyped and... I can't believe I'm reading this - compared favorably by some to Emeka Okafor, because he averaged 7pts and 4.8 rebounds per game and didn't trip over his own feet 5 times per game because we haven't had a good freshman big in 10 years so the fanbase is ungodly thirsty.
Let’s look at freshman year stats. Emeka played 30 minutes a game in 34 games, Adama 23 games but just 17 minutes. Emeka 7.9, 4 blocks 9 rebounds. Sanogo 7 points, near 5 boards 1 block. Emeka played over 1000 minutes, 1020, Sanogo 391. I do not believe Sanogo is hyped and based on numbers alone, more time brings his numbers up considerably. Fouls I understand, but he was held out a lot when that was not an issue and frankly that’s on Hurley. I hope he learned from that mistake and we need a ton of playing time from him this year. We’ll see what he does but I’m on his bandwagon.

Reaction Score
I guess you can call me a liar then. Do you remember some of the games he had freshman year? The Arizona game on national TV is one that sticks out. I'm trying to find game by game stats to see if he had any other games like that to show what kind of potential he had, but I can't find those stats.

Okafor started every game and averaged over 30 minutes per game, which showed he could stay on the floor. He also averaged 9 rebounds and 4 blocks a game which is elite for a freshman, or anyone for that matter. Only 8 ppg and there were definitely questions about what kind of offensive player he could become. You could see where he was trending though by some of the big games he had. He was much more consistent as a freshman than Sanogo was last season.
Ok. Youre one guy who knew. Congrats.

Reaction Score
Ok. Youre one guy who knew. Congrats.
I remember thinking we might only have Emeka 2 years early on. He was maybe the best shotblocking big in the country as a frosh and he had moments where his offensive game Showed glimpses, and as a big that’s all u need. Like said above that Arizona game, you knew Ben & Emeka could do special things here.

He was so explosive as a leaper and cerebral (blocking shots in bounds always) on the court as well. He wasn’t the only one. @HooperScooper is right on this one. Sanogo was more polished with post moves but Emeka was an elite run/jump big from early days. I don’t see a scenario where Sanogo could be that elite leaper and nothing wrong w that.

some of you may remember when Blaney saw him at some Pittsburgh AAU tourney when he said something like “o my god Emeka” when watching him and reporting back to JC. He was prob like 100-150 ranked at that point and we locked him up shortly thereafter And his stock was rising.

Thank God Isaiah Fox and Jamaal Sampson turned us down!!!

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Based on last year I am sky high on his abilities and potential I think he can be as good or better than Okafor... Thoughts?
Could he be as good as Jameer Nelson?

Reaction Score
Could he be as good as Jameer Nelson?
In my defense I never thought Brimah was going to be a great player though we have a championship because of what he did. And I wasn’t one to think that many of our players were going to magically improve their shooting over the summer because invariably it does not happen. But Sanogo has something that could make him special here. Emeka is a pretty high mountain I admit but I think this kid could be a 15 and 10 player before he’s done, and maybe this year if he gets the pt. That would put him in an upper group of centers ever to play here.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
In my defense I never thought Brimah was going to be a great player though we have a championship because of what he did. And I wasn’t one to think that many of our players were going to magically improve their shooting over the summer because invariably it does not happen. But Sanogo has something that could make him special here. Emeka is a pretty high mountain I admit but I think this kid could be a 15 and 10 player before he’s done, and maybe this year if he gets the pt. That would put him in an upper group of centers ever to play here.
Nelson was very good during St Joe's' most special year, and he performed better in the NBA than Ben Hansbrough and Jimmer Fredette, but I'd have still chosen Emeka and Kemba as NCAA Players of the Year in 2004 & 2011 respectively.

I was very happy that Adama chose UConn, reclassified, and played as well as he did last year. Offensively, he was the most mature freshman center that I can ever recall at UConn, and I hope his game continues to grow, especially in ways that would help him to create an NBA career.

As others have said, Emeka was an early surprise in late 2001 starting against Arizona, and fully warranted his All American status, National Championship ring, and #2 draft pick. That's a tall order for Adama.

Reaction Score
15/10 isn’t a hot take here. I don’t think anyone will disagree here that he could be a double double guy.
It was the “as good as it better than Okafor” part everyone is hanging on, and rightfully so.

Reaction Score
Adama certainly has the raw skills to be special. I don't mind the comparisons to Okafor or hoping he's even better. Aim high!

But Okafor was a naturally freakishly good defender... which has been said. It's not that Sanogo can't improve dramatically defensively, which was great at times, but I think it's easier to improve at the offensive end like Okafor did, than what Sanogo has to work on. A jumper will help him offensively. He seems to have the skills to be a one step go by guy and get to the rim, but I worry about him being outside too much, because he doesn't have your typical college body. He's wide and strong, and many of the college refs don't see to know how to let a guy like that play. If he's going to pick up fouls, I want them underneath and be a legit call if he's going to have them called on him.

pj

Reaction Score
Okafor was special and it was apparent from his first game that he was extremely underrated coming in as a #100 recruit or so. We knew we had a star right away. He was a unique player and a complete player with great athleticism and very special talents and skills.

Sanogo is extremely good but he's his own man. Can't wait to see his progress. He has the potential to dominate college. I'd take him well ahead of Alex Oriakhi, who got us a championship.

Reaction Score
15/10 isn’t a hot take here. I don’t think anyone will disagree here that he could be a double double guy.
It was the “as good as it better than Okafor” part everyone is hanging on, and rightfully so.
Okafor as great as he was had a helluva a lot more high level talent around him than Sanogo will have. That means something too. One player doesn’t do by themself but Sanogo is a very important key to team success this year, which is why I don’t want to see him languishing on the bench and underused by Hurley this year. At one point in the season I was fearful the kid would want to leave because lack of pt is what often drives that.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
Different players. Different strengths and weaknesses. Same position. Different years. Different coaches. Different supporting casts.

Lots and lots of opportunities to compare and contrast.

Like most everyone here, very high on Sanogo

Reaction Score
I dont think the comparison to Okafor is all that crazy. Most of you are remembering who Mek turned out to be in his sophomore and especially junior year forgetting he was a freshman and NOBODY thought he`d turn out to be what he turned out to be and if you say otherwise youre lying. Sanogo was a freshmen who had to deal with interruptions, a shortened season and a coach who took some time to come around on him. For all we know Sanogo could come out this season and blow us all away averaging 20/10/4. He could also be solid and put up 12/7/2 a game. The point is we just dont know. What we do know is he showed some flashes of being a dominant big with natural and versatile scoring ability.
Emeka was great a a freshman we won the Big East with his help
He average 8 pts 9 rebounds and 4 blocks those last two numbers are eye opening
that is a beast in the making
He also
probably played against better competition
Sonogo was. 7-4- .9
Respectable but nothing here screams POY, or top 2 pick.
Emeka was a man playing boys.
Let Sonogo be himself and let’s watch what happens.

Reaction Score
I guess you can call me a liar then. Do you remember some of the games he had freshman year?
Lonnie Baxter getting him in foul trouble is the only reason UConn didn't make it to the Final Four in 2002, and once there they definitely could have won. Kansas would have been tough, but they'd have beaten IU.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom