anyone have a link to the post UCF presser ? | The Boneyard

anyone have a link to the post UCF presser ?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
that would be nice, hope its not buried in another thread...

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
No link I can find but a few quotes in articles

UCF women's basketball can't keep up with No. 4 UConn, falls 78-41

Blurbs I found interesting

SAMUELSON MOVES UP
Samuelson moved past UCF assistant Nykesha Sales (2,178 points) for fourth on UConn's career scoring list.
“She came to UConn as a great 3-point shooter who has had to learn to become more of a complete player,” Auriemma said. “Become better defensively, get more physical like Nykesha was. It goes to show you that there are a lot of ways to get to the same end line — Nykesha did it her way (and) Lou did it her way.”

UCF: The Knights forced the Huskies into 21 turnovers, but they were only able to turn those opportunities into 14 points.
“I think that's part of our game, being physical don't let them get as many easy cuts as they did in the first game,” Wright said. “I think we did a pretty good job on that, jamming cutters and it was pretty good for us.”

Reaction Score
No link I can find but a few quotes in articles

UCF women's basketball can't keep up with No. 4 UConn, falls 78-41

Blurbs I found interesting

SAMUELSON MOVES UP
Samuelson moved past UCF assistant Nykesha Sales (2,178 points) for fourth on UConn's career scoring list.
“She came to UConn as a great 3-point shooter who has had to learn to become more of a complete player,” Auriemma said. “Become better defensively, get more physical like Nykesha was. It goes to show you that there are a lot of ways to get to the same end line — Nykesha did it her way (and) Lou did it her way.”

UCF: The Knights forced the Huskies into 21 turnovers, but they were only able to turn those opportunities into 14 points.
“I think that's part of our game, being physical don't let them get as many easy cuts as they did in the first game,” Wright said. “I think we did a pretty good job on that, jamming cutters and it was pretty good for us.”

Missed this thread until now, I also linked the Orlando Sentine's article in post-game thread...if only I read this thread first. Sorry

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
KK Wright's comment made me laugh... they were "more physical", cutting off cutters, etc, and she says "it worked well".... SURE... other than the 37 point loss.... but that's not a biggie:confused:;):rolleyes:
I am guessing her coach told the team that they had to limit UConn's scoring. So they did that vs the first game when UConn scored 93. However, they spent so much energy beating up UConn that they themselves scored fewer points than they did last game. So end result is 36 point loss in first game vs 37 point loss in yesterday's game. So it certainly did not work well. Excellent observation by our Keystone friend. :eek:

Reaction Score
KK Wright's comment made me laugh... they were "more physical", cutting off cutters, etc, and she says "it worked well".... SURE... other than the 37 point loss.... but that's not a biggie:confused:;):rolleyes:
Without being sarcastic, when you compare skill sets UCF did not do too bad a job. At least for one half, they kept the game in reach.

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
Without being sarcastic, when you compare skill sets UCF did not do too bad a job. At least for one half, they kept the game in reach.
Sorry but I disagree...the game was out of reach in the first quarter. The score at the end of the 1st was 23-4. I would call that a pretty bad job and game over. And I don't care that UCF "improved" over the final 3 quarters, the game was already over and the only thing that was to be decided was the final score, MOV and that we didn't get too bloodied.

Reaction Score
I agree with @Centerstream on this one... it's hard to say UCF "At least for one half, they kept the game in reach"... the score was 23 - 4 after the first quarter (19 point deficit). UCF closed the gap by 2 points at half time (17 point deficit...yes, against UTAH yesterday, that was a "within reach" deficit...but not UCONN.). UCONN continued to pull away in the second half for an eventual 37 point deficit. I get the effort to give UCF some credit for playing hard, but their "hard play" strategy, to be "aggressive" and "assertive" was to play rough, physical ball. They did take away Lou's shot by fouling her continually, but they only traded a 2pt or 3pt field goal for 2 or 3 made free throws. The scoreboard doesn't care how the points are made...only shows up different in the box score.

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I detest UCF's overly physical play. If they foul on every play, the refs should call it until either their entire team fouls out, or they stop. The bruises Lou and the rest of the team must have is uncalled for and unsportsmanlike IMHO. It's not playing physical and aggressive. It's flat out dirty and Geno needs to complain to the American conference officials to get it to change if possible.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
I detest UCF's overly physical play. If they foul on every play, the refs should call it until either their entire team fouls out, or they stop. The bruises Lou and the rest of the team must have is uncalled for and unsportsmanlike IMHO. It's not playing physical and aggressive. It's flat out dirty and Geno needs to complain to the American conference officials to get it to change if possible.
I guess Coach Abe is just preparing her kids for their WNBA careers :rolleyes:.
I wonder how that is going to work out. :)

Reaction Score
Completely agree with you @EricLA . Some will say "it's just a different way to play"... but from what I saw, the direction to the UCF players had to be something along the line of "play hard and aggressive, foul if you have to, the ref's won't call them all, and if they do, maybe UCONN will miss foul shots." The "theory" among some in WBB is that our Team plays "pretty ball" and can't handle the physical play. But that's just NOT so. Pheesa and Meg were consistently fouled on close in shots, and were able to muscle them in. Lou was fouled on nearly every shot she took which were almost all from mid to long range... harder to "power it in"... so instead, she calmly stepped to the line and sunk every free throw...the end result was the same. Physical Basketball is one way to play, but there has to be limits, AND the refs can't swallow their whistles!

Centerstream

Reaction Score
Physical Basketball is one way to play, but there has to be limits, AND the refs can't swallow their whistles!
This is one game that I wish that Dee Kantner had been a ref, I don't think that she would have ignored the stuff that was going on.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Can you imagine how Coach Abe feels today? Her team forced 21 turnovers, blatantly beat up the Huskies as badly as any team in recent history and still lost by 37, at home.

Delivering cheap shots should be one less option in future Knight game plans.

Reaction Score
I have to disagree. When they only scored 4 pts in the 1st quarter they went into full out if you can't beat them, beat them up and it took the 2nd quarter for UConn to adapt. After half time, UConn showed it could adapt to it and still win big.

Reaction Score
We kinda live in a glass house - over the long term, anyway. Anyone remember DT & company pulverizing Kelly Mazzante in our 2004 Penn State game at the 2004 Hartford Regional? (Of course, that strategy actually did work - ha!)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
We kinda live in a glass house - over the long term, anyway. Anyone remember DT & company pulverizing Kelly Mazzante in our 2004 Penn State game at the 2004 Hartford Regional? (Of course, that strategy actually did work - ha!)
Normally I agree with, and like your posts, but you really want to point to a single game 15 years ago as an example of "glass houses"? The game has changed light years since then. And no, I don't remember that game. If Dee played dirty, then she should have been called for fouls, as should the rest of the team.

I just want to reiterate - tough, physical, aggressive is fine. Dirty is simply not fine. And UCF was dirty. We aren't allowed to call them this word, but it rhymes with buggish.

Reaction Score
Normally I agree with, and like your posts, but you really want to point to a single game 15 years ago as an example of "glass houses"? The game has changed light years since then. And no, I don't remember that game. If Dee played dirty, then she should have been called for fouls, as should the rest of the team.

I just want to reiterate - tough, physical, aggressive is fine. Dirty is simply not fine. And UCF was dirty. We aren't allowed to call them this word, but it rhymes with buggish.
I was at the game. I didn’t think we played dirty - just rough. Nobody fouled out. Mazzante just had a rough time doing anything without the ball. The game may have changed, but it was the same strategy as yesterday on Lou, only executed by much better players/athletes who didn’t need to substitute “dirty” play for their lack of skill and athleticism.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Actually it was Barb Turner who guarded Mazzante. I recall one forearm shiver Barb delivered as Kelly tried to cut through the lane. It surely wasn't a team effort like we saw on Sunday. I don't recall fouls to the face.

Reaction Score

I like to use the word edge. Its not dirty or even tough, its just don't mess with me relentless in your face defense and we don't have any of it this year. We need to find some.. Nurse was the last one who had it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom