Anyone getting screwed over with chips? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Anyone getting screwed over with chips?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
American tripe. Fancy sounding name.
From Wikipedia:

ORIGIN OF THE BRAND NAME
(you may particularly appreciate the highlighted content below)

Reuben Mattus invented the phrase "Häagen-Dazs" in a quest for a brand name that he claimed was Danish-sounding; however the company's pronunciation of the name ignores the letters "ä" and "z"; letters like "ä" or digraphs like "zs" do not exist in Danish, but the similar words "hagen" and "das(s)" that also correspond to the company's pronunciation of its name mean "the chin" and "outhouse/toilet", respectively, in Scandinavian languages, with "das(s)" being "the" or "that" in German. According to Mattus, it was a tribute to Denmark's exemplary treatment of its Jews during the Second World War, and included an outline map of Denmark on early labels. Mattus felt that Denmark was also known for its dairy products and had a positive image in the United States.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
From Wikipedia:

ORIGIN OF THE BRAND NAME
(you may particularly appreciate the highlighted content below)

Reuben Mattus invented the phrase "Häagen-Dazs" in a quest for a brand name that he claimed was Danish-sounding; however the company's pronunciation of the name ignores the letters "ä" and "z"; letters like "ä" or digraphs like "zs" do not exist in Danish, but the similar words "hagen" and "das(s)" that also correspond to the company's pronunciation of its name mean "the chin" and "outhouse/toilet", respectively, in Scandinavian languages, with "das(s)" being "the" or "that" in German. According to Mattus, it was a tribute to Denmark's exemplary treatment of its Jews during the Second World War, and included an outline map of Denmark on early labels. Mattus felt that Denmark was also known for its dairy products and had a positive image in the United States.

Now, that's funny.

Reaction Score
what about those delicious mini-muffin things that only come 4 in a bag?!
I thought there used to be five in a bag? I’m sensing a conspiracy going on. Disappearing chips and crumble cake. What else has disappeared that I haven’t noticed ?

Reaction Score
That would be mini-bites. One of the top 10 rip offs in the grocery store.
Those mini muffins might be the best food ever created. I could probably eat 500 of the coffee or crumble cake. Whichever it is. Oh my goodness ?

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
Those mini muffins might be the best food ever created. I could probably eat 500 of the coffee or crumble cake. Whichever it is. Oh my goodness ?
You have to get them when the buy one- get one free sale is on. If not you paying $5 plus per box for roughly $2 in muffins. I once got mad and bought the competitor
-“Little Debbies” mini muffins. Not as good but more muffins and cheaper. Your welcome

Reaction Score
It’s not to often I will buy chips when I do I get a small bag whenever I get a grinder I have been noticing the bag being half full. They seem to inflate the bag more to sell the image of the bag being 2 times bigger then whats actually in it. Anyone noticing this in general when buying food. I guess its good for me now as I really don’t need to have chips.
The Ritz Cracker sleeves are shorter too.

JakeTheDog

Makin’ bacon pancakes
Reaction Score
I thought there used to be five in a bag? I’m sensing a conspiracy going on. Disappearing chips and crumble cake. What else has disappeared that I haven’t noticed ?

One that gets me is coffee beans. It used to be standard to get 16 oz and now 12 oz is the new norm. I get it from a consumption perspective in that a 12 oz bag gives less chance for the beans to lose their flavor/freshness, but the price point never dropped. In fact the price seems to have increased irrationally. Yesterday at the grocery store I saw a whole lot of 10 oz bags and am mentally preparing for the inevitable drop to 8 oz bags.

Reaction Score
It’s not to often I will buy chips when I do I get a small bag whenever I get a grinder I have been noticing the bag being half full. They seem to inflate the bag more to sell the image of the bag being 2 times bigger then whats actually in it. Anyone noticing this in general when buying food. I guess its good for me now as I really don’t need to have chips.
Pay more for less. That's the new normal every year now.

Reaction Score
actually the bags are typically overinflated with a nitrogen blanket or similar (can't remember off hand which gas food services use, but it's common practice in industry) to help preserve freshness....and also to bother you

I appreciate you calling it a grinder, though...people look at me funny out here when I call it that
Our family has used grinder forever. It’s an Italian thing. Only when the world started homogenizing with franchises did subs, hoagies and heroes start infiltrating our vocabulary. I remember hoagies as an oddity when in Philly in the 80s. We never used the word Subs until Subway burned it into our consciousness. It’s kind of sad to see how much everywhere has become the same with regional flare disappearing.

Reaction Score
Is the entire Boneyard unfamiliar with the idea of inflation?

It's also about portion control and marketing. Companies can claim less calories per bag of chips, but how many people will only eat one smaller bag?

Reaction Score
It's sold by weight and they inflate the bag because if they just filled the bag to the top, after shipping you'd end up with a half full bag of broken chips and crumbs. Then you'd complain about that.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
TIL that some people only just started buying chips. I neglected to report on this phenomena when I first discovered it sometime in the early 1970s. My only excuse is that the internet was still almost 20 years away.

Reaction Score
Our family has used grinder forever. It’s an Italian thing. Only when the world started homogenizing with franchises did subs, hoagies and heroes start infiltrating our vocabulary. I remember hoagies as an oddity when in Philly in the 80s. We never used the word Subs until Subway burned it into our consciousness. It’s kind of sad to see how much everywhere has become the same with regional flare disappearing.

In central/north jersey I grew up with subs. Moved to Philly a couple of years back, went into a deli and ordered a sub. The guy said "What are you talking about?". He kept pretending not to know what I was talking about and bottom line was he wouldn't serve me until I called it a "Hogie"

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Oreo Double Stuffs are thinner. Maybe regular ones are, too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom