Anyone getting concerned yet... | The Boneyard

Anyone getting concerned yet...

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
that we have not added any games at all since the independence announcement... Not trying to be the guy who overreacts to no news, but considering we have so many games to fill in the coming years and so many games are being announced daily, it’s hard to believe we’ve heard nothing. I am beginning to get a little concerned.

Reaction Score
I am much more concerned about the national TV package that gets negotiated. I am sure a deal will be worked out with SNY for regional coverage, but I would hope something can be worked out where big home games are on FOX or FS1/FS2. I hope we don’t end up with FLO sports or any other half-a$$ed streaming service.

Reaction Score
Listen really close at the game Saturday during offensive huddles. Rumor has it the team will be discussing this concern with the stadium noise keeping it from the coaching staff. ;)

Reaction Score
that we have not added any games at all since the independence announcement... Not trying to be the guy who overreacts to no news, but considering we have so many games to fill in the coming years and so many games are being announced daily, it’s hard to believe we’ve heard nothing. I am beginning to get a little concerned.

I’ve been thinking the same thing. It’s been crickets since we announced we are going independent. Not one game has been announced! What is AD Dave doing???? Let’s get some games scheduled now!

Reaction Score
Expect the worst that way you will not be disappointed. The new home games are likely to be pure dreck. I understand the reasons for the conference shake-up but paying an extra 7 Mill to make the move next year burns this football fan to no end.

We should join the MAC.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

It's a little early to overreact about schedules when you think about how little time has passed since the announcement about going independent and how complex it is to fill out 2020's schedule while simultaneously trying to build off that schedule and begin adding new teams for future years.

I'm not DB's agent, but it's been stated ad nauseum here that there aren't many options
for opponents in 2020 without getting some teams to swap games already set so we can fill out a schedule. What does that commit us to for subsequent years and can those future schedules be balanced home and away with interesting opponents that might help secure a decent TV contract? Having computers to help sort it out is great but my guess is there's a lot of phone calls and discussions being held that take time.

Reaction Score
Expect the worst that way you will not be disappointed. The new home games are likely to be pure dreck. I understand the reasons for the conference shake-up but paying an extra 7 Mill to make the move next year burns this football fan to no end.

We should join the MAC.

As a Yankee fan, I feel your pain and understand about expecting the worst.:rolleyes:
You may have a point about making the move a year early and would agree if we could have stayed in the AAC for just football in 2020 but they probably would have said GTH.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
As a Yankee fan, I feel your pain and understand about expecting the worst.:rolleyes:
You may have a point about making the move a year early and would agree if we could have stayed in the AAC for just football in 2020 but they probably would have said GTH.

yeah they did

Reaction Score
Never remotely expected nor expect a great 2020 schedule, not concerned, yet expect gradually improving schedules 2021 onward with more time, enhanced logistical flexible, etc

Reaction Score
Based on what we have read they don’t want us.

They (the MAC) would never recruit us in public but there was a quote in the press a month ago from the MAC's commish that absolutely suggested they were open to the idea. Adding UCONN and UMASS would bring many new eyeballs to their conference, they (and ESPN) would add us because it would be smart business.

Last edited:

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
Some days this board is like my mother

What can I worry about now? Wait, who are we playing in 23? How can I not know. We’re doomed.

Or maybe it's the fact we have EIGHT games to fill for NEXT season, while our already limited options seem to be drying up. Excuse me for caring who we play.

Reaction Score
Dave has his hands full with UConn joining the new big east. UConn needs to hire a consultant to arrange games for the FB team.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I would be concerned if we don’t see a tv deal and partial schedule by 10/31. Tons of work to do here to line up all the pieces. Presumably a few existing games are being moved which is part of the chaos.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Wow I agree with you.

Based on what we have read they don’t want us.

I'm really not sure how I feel about the MAC. On one hand it solves our scheduling, league championship, and bowl affiliation issue. On the other hand, you're talking 5,000 in the stands on a Tuesday night vs. Toledo and having the minor league association of being a MAC Football school.

Most of the MAC would beat us right now, and the schedule we see in the coming years could actually be worse than a hypothetical MAC slate, but going against my better judgment, I want to see what AD Dave and the 492 other Athletic Department employees have up their sleeve come 2021, 2022, 2023 and so on.

Reaction Score
I don't believe there is any intention in downgrading or getting rid of football. In fact the timing of the announcement of the new locker room with move to the Big East was an attempt to combat that narrative I'm sure.

I fully expect next year to be a bad schedule. We will truly get a feel for how equipped in handling this the school and Benedict are in the years following that. It does feel like its becoming a chicken or the egg thing in terms of future tv options and the schedule. Whose going to want to pay them anything with so much still up in the air?

Reaction Score
I'm really not sure how I feel about the MAC. On one hand it solves our scheduling, league championship, and bowl affiliation issue. On the other hand, you're talking 5,000 in the stands on a Tuesday night vs. Toledo and having the minor league association of being a MAC Football school.

Most of the MAC would beat us right now, and the schedule we see in the coming years could actually be worse than a hypothetical MAC slate, but going against my better judgment, I want to see what AD Dave and the 492 other Athletic Department employees have up their sleeve come 2021, 2022, 2023 and so on.
Yep. They said Independence. I want to see it.

Reaction Score
I am much more concerned about the national TV package that gets negotiated. I am sure a deal will be worked out with SNY for regional coverage, but I would hope something can be worked out where big home games are on FOX or FS1/FS2. I hope we don’t end up with FLO sports or any other half-a$$ed streaming service.
Besides ND, who gets a national deal as an independent? Uconn FB will not have a national TV deal.

Reaction Score
I don't believe there is any intention in downgrading or getting rid of football. In fact the timing of the announcement of the new locker room with move to the Big East was an attempt to combat that narrative I'm sure.

I fully expect next year to be a bad schedule. We will truly get a feel for how equipped in handling this the school and Benedict are in the years following that. It does feel like its becoming a chicken or the egg thing in terms of future tv options and the schedule. Whose going to want to pay them anything with so much still up in the air?
I sort of agree with this. And maybe a not so great schedule next year is what is needed to right the ship. I remember when UConn was first upgrading hearing Lew Perkins discuss scheduling. His formula was MAC teams military academies and a sprinkling of majors 2-3/year until we are established. If you look at 2001-2003 it was heavy on those types of teams.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom