Anyone Ever Attend a UConn BB True Road Game | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Anyone Ever Attend a UConn BB True Road Game

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
I had the opposite experience. 2006 UConn came in #2 and Marquette spanked them. Steve Novak scored 41pts. We got hooted on hard all night.

Reaction Score
I can’t believe so many people have had “positive” experiences with PC fans.

They have always been the worst to encounter, in my experience, home or away.

They are a small and angry fanbase with a severe little brother complex.

Pissants.

Reaction Score
No excuse for losing to George Mason. That was the most embarrassing loss of the Calhoun era.
I was there. I can still see the Mason fans clapping in unison and chanting, Go Mason, Go. Big Baby had a dream day. That guy was on fire. I remember us with our despetation attempts toward the end of the game. The memories still haunt me and it took a good few plus years to stop the Mason cheering from echoing in my head.

Reaction Score
How was the experience?

Did you wear the UConn cap and any other UConn clothing there?

Any jeers, taunts or profanity from the hometown fans directed at you or the group?

Were any arenas particularly hostile?
I have gone to BB and FB at SMU in Dallas. Ditto to Baylor in Waco, Texas and women's BB at UT Austin.

I went to the football game at Baylor in Waco with my high school aged son. Before agreeing to go he was reluctant. He said there's going to be a fight. No, I said, that only happens in high school. This is college and they don't do that kind of thing.

We parked a bit off campus behind a restaurant and we walked to the stadium, with all our Uconn gear on, through a Baylor tail gating area. One guy about 50 feet away looked at us long and hard. I returned his gaze and said, "Good luck." He responded good luck as well!

I have had no incidents. No one has ever hassled me. Everyone was always very nice. And at all the BB games there were always plenty of Uconn fans all dressed up in blue and white!

Reaction Score
Aside from the games I mentioned earlier, I went to MSG for a St. John's game many years ago. I remember they were honoring Louie for something and everyone got a cardboard Indian headdress to wear (they were still the Redmen, obviously).

Spent the rest of the night in the Irish bars on 33rd St. Can't even remember if we won. :oops:

Reaction Score
UCONN vs. Michigan State. 2000. Year they won it all. Sports Illustrated had a story on the game. They had a picture of the crowd. Blurry but I was in the center looking fairly dismayed. (They crushed us).

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Every away game during the 2008-2009 season, minus maybe a couple due to those damn victory lap classes.

Griggs

Yale Bowl portal 8
Reaction Score
I used to go almost every time we played Seton Hall at the Meadowlands. There used to be bus trips down there from all over CT. Those were the days when there was literally more UConn fans than Seton Hall fans in their building, and I'm pretty sure Dan Hurley made mention of that during his press conference when he got hired. Since that was the case, I wouldn't consider that really a "true" road game. The same goes for St John's games at MSG. Those were usually pro UConn crowds. The one game that stands out though was when we got killed in 2011 by STJ at MSG. That crowd was pretty hostile as I remember getting harassed by a couple drunk kids for wearing my UConn shirt.
Went on many bus trips to Seton Hall, St. John's, BC and Providence. Always treated with respect by opposition fans. Many MSG games Uconn fans outnumbered SJ fans.Hope those bus trips return.

Reaction Score
Was at Providence sitting behind the basket and saw Bruce Kuczenski dominate the game. Went to Holy Cross ( such a small venue) and saw the Huskies suck late in Perno's career.

Baltic

Baltic
Reaction Score
How was the experience?

Did you wear the UConn cap and any other UConn clothing there?

Any jeers, taunts or profanity from the hometown fans directed at you or the group?

Were any arenas particularly hostile?
Interesting post, got me to thinking. Opposing fans have been generally accommodating except for a couple of instances. I have found If you act reasonably so would the competition.

UMass - both old alumni field and new facility. Old Field House had a dirt floor around it. The worst Fans, particularly in the Kimball/ Balasuknia era and when Calipari was in charge.
URI - Some great rivalry games in the day.
UNH
BCU
Holy Cross
Providence
Seton Hall
St. Johns - Both Alumni Hall and MSG
Syracuse - Both old Field House and Carrier Dome (some bad snow events included)
Villanova - Alumni Field House and both NBA facilities
Georgetown
BU
Miami
ECU
UNC
Indiana
Arizona

Always wore my UConn gear.

Reaction Score

Pissants.

Syracuse fans are by far the worst. In their mind they're Duke but in reality they're Wake Forest with snow.

Reaction Score
Been fortunate to see a fair amount of away games. I'll just put our record vs each team when I've been there on the road. I would say Cuse fans were the worst easily. Most of the time the home team fans are fun and it's some good spirited back and forth banter, nothing more.

Cuse (1-2)

Depaul (3-0)

Marquette (1-0)

Notre Dame (2-1) one of these wins was when we ended their very long home win streak, and after the game Jeff Adrien said "this is our gym now"

Nova (0-1)

SMU (0-1)

Reaction Score
My wife and I went to the ( brand new?) DuPont Pavilion in February of 1989 to see Cliffy and Phil play against Villanova. Cliff was a beast and Chris Smith played really well in regulation. We sat in the very back row with a cluster of about 15 UConn fans who we didn't know. We were all pretty obnoxious because we led for the vast majority of the game. I forget exactly what caused the collapse, we wound up losing in overtime and really heard it from the fans sitting around us. We deserved everything we got because we were overdoing it during the slst few minutes of regulation.
I was sitting right in front of you. North Stands behind the basket.

Reaction Score

Pissants.
(Maybe it’s not them)

Reaction Score
I went to the UConn vs West Virginia first round NIT game in 1988. Drove down (Pennsylvania turnpike is endless monotony). We must have gotten tickets thru UConn as we were sitting in the first row, roughly 24 UConn fans were in the first two rows, I think half were families of players. It was St. Patrick's Day and we'd pre-gamed extensively, then my girlfriend kicked her Jack & Coke onto the floor (we'd smuggled a couple nips into the arena) somehow the arena folks cleaned it up and didn't eject us (I even kept my drink?!). Yelled and cheered hard for 40 minutes. I think it might have been Tate that hit a shot to ensure OT, WVU had NCAA aspirations, the arena was probably 65% full and it was not a raucous crowd. In OT we YELLED ourselves hoarse leading chants for that group of 24 faithful. To this day I am very certain that we helped instill the will that was necessary to gut out that win. After the buzzer sounded a player came over and said something to the effect of; "you guys were awesome, thanks so much for cheering & your support it really helped us" I can't remember who that player was, but every time I tell this story from now on that player will be Cliff Robinson.

Reaction Score
I remember being absolutely miserable at the UConn - Pepperdine game in Malibu in 2005 because that was the night the California bar exam results came out and I couldn’t check to see if I passed until I got home.

I believe that was the first game of the Craig Austrie era and they were on their way to Maui. Also a little white dude named Gerrity who I think ended up transferring to USC ended up having a pretty nice game and making the game less enjoyable than it should have been. Fans were fine though. Like being in a high school gym.
Wow! I was at that game too. I drove up from San Diego with a friend. It was a closer game than it should have been. As I recall Rudy Gay was on that team. Small world.

Reaction Score
Seton Hall a few times. Come to think of it, those Jersey boys were a bit jerky.

Also at Syracuse, where I was fine. Ignored.

As an undergrad, I was at the infamous UConn-BU snow game, where UConn got stuck in snow on the highway, and Mike Jarvis insisted the game be played anyway after a long delay.
I was an undergrad then too, watched that game at Hooligans and we were there wayyyy too long drinking due to the delay!

Last edited:
Reaction Score

it’s been considered, and the results have come back:

it is you. A small and nasty fanbase that’ll have to get used to playing second fiddle yet again (shouldn’t be hard though, y’all have a lot of practice at that)

Reaction Score
Baltic's response got me thinking about the road games I have attended. My memory isn't as good as it once was but here goes:
Yale
Fairfield
Maine (in Portland, not Orono)
UNH
UVM
URI
UMass (Curry Cage and Mullins Center)
Holy Cross
Boston U.
Manhattan @ MSG
BC (Roberts Center and Conte)
Providence
Syracuse
St Johns (MSG and Alumni)
Seton Hall
Villanova
Rutgers
Cincinnati
USF
UCF
Ohio State
Minnesota
Utah
UVA
UNC

With two exceptions all of my experiences with opposing fans have been good. Following one of the Syracuse games we were met by some angry fans of the Orange. BC fans showed a little hostility as well one year. That may have just been the result of frustration on their part. 23 consecutive losses to the Huskies will do that.
Oddly enough my worst experience with opposing fans was at the Hartford Civic Center. You guessed it, Providence fans.

Reaction Score
I went to the Pepperdine game, Malibu CA. Tate George era. Huskies won. Gym was similar to a high school gym but it was only yards from overlooking the Pacific Ocean. Nice campus!

Reaction Score

Your school, like it’s fans, is an embarrassment

Reaction Score
I attended one of the worst game ever played.... the first time I said Kevin Ollie is not a very good coach.... and it was UCONN at Tulsa.... It was a very painful game to watch, and even my friends that I had with me give me a hard time till this day.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom