Anyone Ever Attend a UConn BB True Road Game | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Anyone Ever Attend a UConn BB True Road Game

Reaction Score
Was out west for business in 99 and got to see UConn beat Stanford at Maples. No issues from the fans. After the game ended, we lingered and then wandered on to the court and around the hallways near the locker rooms without anyone stopping us. Before we knew it, Coach Calhoun was walking right towards us and I got to shake his hand and congratulate him on the victory. Pretty surreal moment.
Also saw UConn dismantle BC at Conte in the Okafor years.

Reaction Score
My wife and I went to the ( brand new?) DuPont Pavilion in February of 1989 to see Cliffy and Phil play against Villanova. Cliff was a beast and Chris Smith played really well in regulation. We sat in the very back row with a cluster of about 15 UConn fans who we didn't know. We were all pretty obnoxious because we led for the vast majority of the game. I forget exactly what caused the collapse, we wound up losing in overtime and really heard it from the fans sitting around us. We deserved everything we got because we were overdoing it during the slst few minutes of regulation.

Reaction Score
I've been to BC, Nova, Carrier Dome, PCC, Meadowlands, MSG multiple times but the one that stands out was a bus trip in 1980 with a group of Husky fans. My dad worked at New Departure back in the day and my brother was working for him, met some great guys and they put a trip together from Bristol. 2 nights and a game at McDonough, what a band box. We were in the 2nd deck (balcony) of this small gym with a bunch of adoring Hoya fans in February. Our Huskies were pretty good (Corny, McCkay soph year, Abro, Dulin, Delagrange etc) and the Hoyas were tough, not great but real tough (Shelton, Spriggs and of course Sleepy amongst others). We had a group of about 35-40 and we wore UConn stuff. I'm telling you they had such little respect for our program they didn't bust our balls all that much, they were almost accommodating LOL. And of course our Huskies were too accommodating on the court as we walked away with a beating somewhere around 24-25 if I do remember. But we were out and about for the evening after the game and the fans were really nice, drinking laughing talking hoops with us. (also a trip on I believe it was 14th street in DC late that evening turned out to be quite a whacky finish to the trip :eek: )

Boy did that attitude change in the mid 90's when I went to the US Air or whatever arena it was and we started owning them LOL.

Reaction Score
I think the most lopsided away game I've been to in terms of a crowd is the 2009 Final Four in Detroit. There was something like 75,000 or 77,000 fans at the semifinal games where we played Michigan State and at least 60,000 of them by my estimation were Michigan State fans. It was the most lopsided "neutral" court game I've ever seen.

Reaction Score
I think the most lopsided away game I've been to in terms of a crowd is the 2009 Final Four in Detroit. There was something like 75,000 or 77,000 fans at the semifinal games where we played Michigan State and at least 60,000 of them by my estimation were Michigan State fans. It was the most lopsided "neutral" court game I've ever seen.
Yeah it was bad. We had 2 extra UConn section to sell and they somehow ended up in the hands of MSU fans.

It was awful.

Reaction Score
I was at Conte years ago when Donyell Marshall hit a buzzer beater to hand BC it's 4,000th loss in a row to UCONN. It was funny as hell, because I think the 50 BC faithful that were there really expected it.

There may very well have been more UCONN fans there than BC fans. We were pretty vocal in our celebration, but, again, nobody seemed to care.

Reaction Score
Moved to Columbus 20 years ago, been to an OSU game, which we lost, a few years back. Sparse crowd, but no real animosity, despite me compelety decked out in Uconn garb. I also get down to see the Cinnci game most years, although ive avoided the last few years, as we've been non competitive recently. The Stadium is small , compact and very hostile. My greatest experience was 2016, i was right behind cinnci bench, and Cronin was eyeballing me, as i was loud as hell, then the student section in unison started pointing at me and chanting. Even though we lost, i felt like the crowd was very aware and good naturedly antagonistic. Not an easy place to win.

Reaction Score
Many times. 34 years with season tix. Worst experience(s) were at Providence College. Providence again at the Springfield Civic center.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I've been many Rutgers and Seton Hall games and I always wear UConn gear. I have had many good natured exchanges with opposing fans.

Reaction Score
I have been to the following away games always in full UConn clothing

Providence
Notre Dame
Pitt
Syracuse
UCF
Memphis
USF
Gtown
Villanova

Worst fans were UCF
USF fans are worst trust me. Haha.

Reaction Score
used to go to St John's games back when we played them at Alumni Hall

Reaction Score
Good topic. I’ve been to true road UConn games at St John’s, Syracuse, PC, BC, UNC and UMass if I remember correctly. Wore full Huskies gear at every place but was not treated poorly anywhere. Good times!

Reaction Score
What are the statutes of limitations on racist comments?
I was at Conte years ago when Donyell Marshall hit a buzzer beater to hand BC it's 4,000th loss in a row to UCONN. It was funny as hell, because I think the 50 BC faithful that were there really expected it.

There may very well have been more UCONN fans there than BC fans. We were pretty vocal in our celebration, but, again, nobody seemed to care.

That’s a great memory. I am guessing that was Christmas break because I remember being home that night rather than at school.

ConnZag3

NCAA Hoops Connoisseur
Reaction Score
Moved to Columbus 20 years ago, been to an OSU game, which we lost, a few years back. Sparse crowd, but no real animosity, despite me compelety decked out in Uconn garb. I also get down to see the Cinnci game most years, although ive avoided the last few years, as we've been non competitive recently. The Stadium is small , compact and very hostile. My greatest experience was 2016, i was right behind cinnci bench, and Cronin was eyeballing me, as i was loud as hell, then the student section in unison started pointing at me and chanting. Even though we lost, i felt like the crowd was very aware and good naturedly antagonistic. Not an easy place to win.

Cincy has a solid gym. Haven't been there since they renovated, but the first time I was there for a UConn game I got to meet Oscar Robertson so that was kinda cool.

Reaction Score
Based on experience, aside from PC and Cuse; we usually treat visiting fans much worse than they treat us when we visit.

Reaction Score
Went to numerous St John's games. Crowd was fine except for one guy who would tell me to sit down and shut up every time I cheered.

Went to a few Georgetown games at the old Capitol Center. Crowd was fine.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I was raised a UConn fan from birth. My mother attended and my father is a college hoops fanatic. My parents took us to see UConn at Georgetown, when the Hoyas had Iverson. My brothers and I got to meet and get pics with Dicky V at a bookstore the day before the game. My father used to buy season tickets to UConn and BC, when the original BE existed, so I remember seeing the Donny/Donyell teams play at Conte Forum. As I got older and started attending games with friends, we would go to the Garden for St.John's games and the Dunk for PC games.

Also, don't let anyone ever tell you that the George Mason game was not an away game. I was there...it was.

Reaction Score
Fortunate to get on the road for a few games. All have been a victory for the good guys. the best was the Jan 99 meeting with St John's at MSG, I was hoarse after that game. Did a double header at Villanova seeing the men in OT when Emeka blocked the last second shot, then over to the campus for a women's matchup.
Also attended a BC game at Conte and SH at the PRU (then over to Katz's Deli for a bite!)

Reaction Score
How was the experience?

Did you wear the UConn cap and any other UConn clothing there?

Any jeers, taunts or profanity from the hometown fans directed at you or the group?

Were any arenas particularly hostile?
At PC, at UMass, at Georgetown, at Villanova, at Cincinatti. Wore UConn gear. Most people were fine. A little good natured back and forth mostly. Worst was Cincy Georgetown nobody really gave a darn about anything Totally a business crowd.

Reaction Score
Actually now that I think of it, also BC and BU the night the bus crashed in an ice storm. Game started around 11 I think. And St Johns. I was a little kid but my first UConn-BC game was an NCAA tourney game played at URI. My father and uncle decided at the last minute to drive to Rhody because the wives were at a shower. Walk up tix. That’s how much things have changed. They took me and my older cousin. Balasuknia shot the lights out but BC had more talent and won the game. Years later my uncle said if they had the 3 in those days UConn wins easily but I don’t know that for sure. I do remember the BC crowd freaking out every time he touched the ball

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
I attended a few. Never been treated badly by opposing fans.

Providence 2010 at DD. Atmosphere was pretty electric, but PC fans didn't bother us.

Worst fan interaction experience ever was at USF for football in 2010 when UConn "fans" berated us and condescendingly mocked the then girlfriend every time we stood to cheer in the UConn section.

If any of you were there and bitched because we interrupted your sight lines, you suck.

Reaction Score
Was out west for business in 99 and got to see UConn beat Stanford at Maples. No issues from the fans. After the game ended, we lingered and then wandered on to the court and around the hallways near the locker rooms without anyone stopping us. Before we knew it, Coach Calhoun was walking right towards us and I got to shake his hand and congratulate him on the victory. Pretty surreal moment.
Also saw UConn dismantle BC at Conte in the Okafor years.
I was also at the Stanford game in full garb. We had just come off a terrible loss to Syracuse (I think we only scored 42 points) and Rip was hurt and didn’t play. Wasn’t feeling real confident, KEA had a strong game and we pulled out a nice win. Next day played a round at The Olympic Club. All in all, a great weekend. We need the good old days to come back!

Reaction Score
too many to remember them all:

Georgetown, SU, Villanova - on and off campus, PC, 2009 MSU, Cincinnati, Seton Hall, SJ @ MSG, L'ville, Tulane, women @ Duke and TN, etc. almost always in UConn regalia

only trouble was when the home fans did not respect our tradition of standing and clapping until we score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom