Anyone else tired of Doris Burke?? | The Boneyard

Anyone else tired of Doris Burke??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
For years I thought she was great, and then she did some mens games and even NBA games. Maybe it's over exposure or something, but I sure would like to see some new blood. Kara Lawson does a great job in the studio, but would also be great on the call. Doris does too much coaching for me instead of just analysis. How about when Stefanie picks up her 4th foul and she blabs on about how "fascinating" it will be if UConn gets down by 7 points with less than 8 minutes to go and we get to see if Geno elects to put her back in. Duh!! I would have been fascinated if UConn went up by 10 without Stefanie!! I wish I had tried the radio, though it's hard to sync the TV and radio, and sometimes impossible. Anything would have been better.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Last night some coined the perfect term for her announcing the last couple of years, faux gravitas. In her monotone she says every word as if it is the most important idea in the world or no one has thought it before. And then annoying reminds you she said it twenty times. She is a monochromatic color commentator.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
During the past few years, it used to stick in some opponant's craw that Doris appeared to be such a UConn homer, and it didn't seem to bother most. Now the shoe is on the other foot...

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
During the past few years, it used to stick in some opponant's craw that Doris appeared to be such a UConn homer, and it didn't seem to bother most. Now the shoe is on the other foot...
Not sure that is it, Jane. It's more her over dramatizing every word.

Reaction Score
For years I thought she was great, and then she did some mens games and even NBA games. Maybe it's over exposure or something, but I sure would like to see some new blood. Kara Lawson does a great job in the studio, but would also be great on the call. Doris does too much coaching for me instead of just analysis. How about when Stefanie picks up her 4th foul and she blabs on about how "fascinating" it will be if UConn gets down by 7 points with less than 8 minutes to go and we get to see if Geno elects to put her back in. Duh!! I would have been fascinated if UConn went up by 10 without Stefanie!! I wish I had tried the radio, though it's hard to sync the TV and radio, and sometimes impossible. Anything would have been better.

I think when you watch as many game s as most of us do, you'll tend to get annoyed or tired of the same old perspective, that's alll. Except for bill Raftery I will never grow tired of Raf, Bilas and McDonough.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I just get tired of her not providing any real analysis. They talked about the altitude AD NAUSEUM and she would say things like, "Boy, they're starting to look tired, aren't they?" in the final minutes of a tough game at the end of the season.

Wow. Glad you're being paid to say the most glaringly obvious observation in the world.

I thought Kiah was a big storyline last night, they touched on it a little, but not much, and maybe a little KML comparison to DT in the 2001 semi? Just for comparison's sake...would have been interesting to talk about how ND seems to have our number in semifinal games, why that might be, etc...

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I think when you watch as many game s as most of us do, you'll tend to get annoyed or tired of the same old perspective, that's alll. Except for bill Raftery I will never grow tired of Raf, Bilas and McDonough.
Bilas and McDonough are my favorite team and what I wish every broadcast team would strive to be.

Reaction Score
I’m sure ‘homers’ exist but the problem with Doris and many others is that it’s obvious that she’s attempting to be ‘all things to all people’, and thus very very very disingenuous…she can and will pander to UConn, Tennessee, ND, Baylor or a can of corn if called for….. IE the previously mentioned flair for the dramatic and self importance…

I think Kara Lawson and Rebecca lobo do an excellent job and would like to see and hear more of them…..two real professionals at work here

Reaction Score
yeah, I thought the same thing last night. Used to like her a lot. Now I am getting tired of her, for whatever reason.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Irrespective of any possible bias, Doris is becoming annoying to me.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I’m sure ‘homers’ exist but the problem with Doris and many others is that it’s obvious that she’s attempting to be ‘all things to all people’, and thus very very very disingenuous…she can and will pander to UConn, Tennessee, ND, Baylor or a can of corn if called for….. IE the previously mentioned flair for the dramatic and self importance…

I think Kara Lawson and Rebecca lobo do an excellent job and would like to see and hear more of them…..two real professionals at work here

Exactly ... faux gravitas with an overload of disingenuousness

Reaction Score
Next year Doris will be pimping for UConn. I'm taking bets now.

Reaction Score
There appears to be no filter between Doris' brain and mouth. She needs to learn how to use restraint and not spit out each and every thought.

She gets absolutely crucified on Twitter.

Reaction Score
I muted the TV a few times, so I guess the answer is yes, but it was because were losing and she was getting on my nerves.

Reaction Score
i hate to be petty but she needs to change the hair color.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
Midway into the 2nd half with the game still very much in the balance, Diggins hits an important 3 and DB actually gushed "Skylar, this is your destiny"! :eek:

I couldn't believe my ears for the over-the-top hyperbole and extremely premature projection of an ND victory. Apparently for DB, it was decided in her mind that it was not in UConn's destiny to advance. :mad:

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Next year Doris will be pimping for UConn. I'm taking bets now.
And she will still be just as irritating. I mean we complain about Meghan and clearly she is all UConn all the time. It is about Doris being pro or anti UConn, it is the faux gravitas. It ain't going to happen but I want Sean and Jay back.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I just would like an objective report on the game. I know it's tough, especially for CPTV, but there is nothing wrong with actually discussing the game and not hyperbolizing everything. It's exciting enough, OT in a Final Four game!

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
I just would like an objective report on the game. I know it's tough, especially for CPTV, but there is nothing wrong with actually discussing the game and not hyperbolizing everything. It's exciting enough, OT in a Final Four game!
God bless CPTV! For any/all the perceived shortcomings (which I do not share) that people complain about them, at least unlike ESPN, they do not concoct a narrative and then shove it down everyone's throat!

Reaction Score
Nah. I like Doris. She does a good job calling the games. Sometimes she can get a bit long winded but I can always turn the volume down when that happens. It would be interesting to have some of the TNT guys calling some of the games more than once or twice. I would love to see Reggie Miller or Kenny Smith calling a women's game. It would make us really appreciate folks like Doris in the long run. I have no problem with Doris.

Reaction Score
I agree with your comment on Doris pushing the 2012/2013 UCONN press machine........

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

Agreed. She was soooooooo pro-UCONN for so long that I got to the point where I couldn't stand to listen to her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom