Anyone else think there could/should be coaching changes in the AAC? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Anyone else think there could/should be coaching changes in the AAC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Pastner holding a press conference at 5 FWIW

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
Johnny Dawkins was fired by Stanford today. Given similar academic restrictions he'd be a good fit at Tulane.

UCF should go after North Florida or Florida Gulf Coast coach (I guess).

I wonder if Memphis would go after Ricky Pitinio if he steps down at Louisville. That would be hilarious.

Reaction Score
Johnny Dawkins was fired by Stanford today. Given similar academic restrictions he'd be a good fit at Tulane.

I wonder if Memphis would go after Ricky Pitinio if he steps down at Louisville. That would be hilarious.

Regarding Pitino, after the prior day's presser from ESPN and several out outlets, looks like he knew exactly what was going on at Billy Minardi Gentelman's Club and thus there is talk that the NCAA may hit him with a show-cause penalty. That would put him on ice for a while with respect to other college coaching opportunities.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

UCF is apparently looking at Stony Brook HC and former UConn player/assistant Steve Pikiell.

Reaction Score

For a fanbase once renowned as one of the most loyal and rabid in the country I was SHOCKED to see they had maybe a couple hundred fans at the title game while there were several thousand Uconn fans. Pastnor is borderline going full Pasqualoni on that program right now. Back to back years where they don't even get the NIT!!

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Pastner has officially been retained by Memphis. Have to think that buyout is too hefty to mess with

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
He just got there
Two seasons and his team was worse this season than last. He is clueless as a coach. Just because he was an assistant under Calipari doesn't make him a good coach. How many seasons do you give a coach before you admit he doesn't have it?

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Two seasons and his team was worse this season than last. He is clueless as a coach. Just because he was an assistant under Calipari doesn't make him a good coach. How many seasons do you give a coach before you admit he doesn't have it?
I'm going to say, more than two.

Reaction Score

Antigua inherited close to nothing when he took over and half of his scholarship players (maybe more) missed extended time to injury this year. Your expectations make it seem like he took over for Coach K at Duke. This is USF we're talking about. The expectations there aren't very high. Don't know if he'll be a great coach but he'll make them more competitive. That's all we're looking for from the bottom dwellers in this conference.

Reaction Score
I'm going to say, more than two.
This dude would have fired Coach K:

Duke
1980-81: 17-13
1981-82: 10-17
1982-83: 11-17

Not not saying Antigua is K, but two years is not enough to evaluate a coach.

Reaction Score
CommunitySportReport
‏@CSROrlando
Hearing that Johnny Dawkins will be hired as the next coach of UCF basketball. Official announcement expected in next 24-48 hours.

Reaction Score
CommunitySportReport
‏@CSROrlando
Hearing that Johnny Dawkins will be hired as the next coach of UCF basketball. Official announcement expected in next 24-48 hours.
Perfect news for the conference. Dawkins is a decent coach who won't field embarrassing teams, and is a decent coach who will never field very, very good teams.

I'd expect UCF to settle in at anywhere from 70-to-150 in Kenpom on a yearly basis. Never good enough to threaten, but not a drag on our RPI/Kenpom/BPI rankings. Nicely done, UCF.

Reaction Score
Perfect news for the conference. Dawkins is a decent coach who won't field embarrassing teams, and is a decent coach who will never field very, very good teams.

I'd expect UCF to settle in at anywhere from 70-to-150 in Kenpom on a yearly basis. Never good enough to threaten, but not a drag on our RPI/Kenpom/BPI rankings. Nicely done, UCF.
They might even make the NCAAs in an odd year or two. Agree entirely here.

As bad as the AAC is, having UConn and Cincy (and Louisville when the conference was first created) felt like a big enough step up that SMU went out and hired Brown, then Houston Sampson.

Most of the hiring decisions on the basketball side of things have been really smart, Pastner still at Memphis excluded.

Reaction Score

Spot on! You don't need a league full of heavyweights, you just want to avoid having more than 1 or 2 anchors at the bottom. You want a UCF to schedule smartly ooc, win most of those games, and then win enough in league play to stay above 150. If they can rotate with the other middling teams, with at least 2 of them seeing some sort of postseason play most years, the league will be in good shape. In this league, you really need for UConn, Cincy, and Memphis to be in the top 30 most years, with at least 2 of them in the top 20. If SMU can maintain for a while, so much the better, as that would be 4 teams with the potential to make the NCAAs most years. If Temple remains in the top 50, and Houston can join them there, this could be a 4-6 bid league on a regular basis. In the event UConn gets stuck here for an appreciable amount of time (5-6 more years), that would probably be good enough to allow them to maintain the program without too much trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom