Anyone else think there could/should be coaching changes in the AAC? | The Boneyard

Anyone else think there could/should be coaching changes in the AAC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Tulane (Conroy)
ECU (Lebo)
UCF (Jones)

Anyone really see any way all 3 of these guys are still with their current teams after this season? Would love to see coaching upgrades at these schools. UCF has actually gotten a decent amount of talent in their recent recruiting classes and I think Tulane could wind up being a solid team with the right coach given their location/popularity of New Orleans. ECU probably is going to suck forever but having them be consistently top 150 would be huge.

Reaction Score
...I think Tulane could wind up being a solid team with the right coach given their location/popularity of New Orleans.
This is a reach. Tulane's a tough school to get into with no real athletic tradition to speak of, and doesn't really move the needle in their own town. Any coach who had real success there would A) be someone really special, and then B) get immediately poached by an SEC or Big 12 school.

Reaction Score
I don't know how Donnie jones survives, I think he pushes the 'NCAA cloud' and how it hurts like no talent Al Golden did for years at Miami in football.

They had a point guard who chose not to play since he would have been out a while but sees himself as an early entry at some point so why not play. Seems like a program lacking control. They don't play Fall for long stretches and team gets way behind like in Cincy game. Jones stinks!

Reaction Score
Lack of tradition and expectations will save these guys. Plus huge upgrade in conference. Donnie and Lebo had pretty decent records prior to AAC. I suspect all three will be around. I checked conf usa rpi it's like #21 vs AAC #8. I doubt anyone's clamoring for those jobs. Maybe Monmouth coach could take UCF, as big as that school is you'd think their major sports would be a priority. Why'd you let Antigua off?

Drew

Reaction Score
Lack of tradition and expectations will save these guys. Plus huge upgrade in conference. Donnie and Lebo had pretty decent records prior to AAC. I suspect all three will be around. I checked conf usa rpi it's like #21 vs AAC #8. I doubt anyone's clamoring for those jobs. Maybe Monmouth coach could take UCF, as big as that school is you'd think their major sports would be a priority. Why'd you let Antigua off?

He was just hired last year so I just assumed USF would give him 4-5 years

Reaction Score
Pastner's on the hottest seat in the AAC. I would be surprised if he came back next year.
Agreed, but isn't his buyout over 10 million dollars? That's a lot of dough to swallow.

Reaction Score
Pastner's on the hottest seat in the AAC. I would be surprised if he came back next year.
This doesn't sound good for Pastner.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...ames-will-review-pastner-program-after-season

"We continue to receive inquiries concerning the future of Tiger basketball," the statement read. "Tom Bowen, UofM Athletic Director, the athletic senior leadership team, and the Office of the President will conduct a post-season review of the men's basketball program, as is customary with all UofM sports teams.

"We urge Tiger Nation to support this team through the end of the basketball season with special attention given to the final three home games at FexEx Forum."

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Pastner has to go, Memphis is not getting it done

What I want from the AAC is an across the boards upgrade of OOC schedules. Specifically, drop the majority of RPI 200+ schools

Drew

Reaction Score
Pastner should be fired but that $10 million buyout is no joke. If Mr. FedEx can open up the wallet to pay for it then it'll happen but if not they'll have to endure being stuck with him until they can either wait to pay him less on the buyout or he somehow finds another job.

Really need Memphis to return to being a top 50/25 RPI team. If us, Cinci, Memphis, Temple can all be top 50 and UH, Tulsa, SMU can stay top 100 it will help a ton. Need coaches that can keep Tulane, ECU, UCF, USF in the top 150 of the RPI and then the league will be fine.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Why no noise for the 2 biggest cheaters polluting the conference?

Haith
Brown

At least with Brown, you can point to some past success. Haith should be coaching HS somewhere...

Reaction Score
Memphis down 13 to USF with under 2 minutes left. Pastner has got to go.

Reaction Score
That USF game on Thursday is going to be annoying. They only have 8 wins so you would think it'd be easy but they look better than their record right now. They also have a TON of size and play zone for 40 minutes. Memphis got jack down low against them and were frustrated from the start. Pastner's gotta go.

Reaction Score
That USF game on Thursday is going to be very annoying. They only have 8 wins so you would think it'd be easy but they look better than their record right now. They also have a TON of size and play zone for 40 minutes. Memphis got jack down low against them and were frustrated from the start.
Yeah , I was watching that game and saying the same stuff. They also have some decent guards and forwards who can score. We are going to need AB to stay on the floor and get some offense from the outside to win that game.

Reaction Score
Yeah , I was watching that game and saying the same stuff. They also have some decent guards and forwards who can score. We are going to need AB to stay on the floor and get some offense from the outside to win that game.

They lost to SMU, Cincinnati, and Temple recently pretty easily but blew out Memphis, East Carolina, Tulane, and Houston at Houston so there is something formidable there we need to be careful about on Thursday. That's the type of loss that could really put us in jeopardy if we lose today and at SMU.

Reaction Score
They lost to SMU, Cincinnati, and Temple recently pretty easily but blew out Memphis, East Carolina, Tulane, and Houston at Houston so there is something formidable there we need to be careful about on Thursday. That's the type of loss that could really put us in jeopardy if we lose today and at SMU.

Antigua is only in his second year, and the team is beginning to show signs of life. That's a program that had some decent moments during it's time in the real BE. If they could get it rolling, that could really make the AAC a very good league.

Reaction Score
Keep in mind Memphis would be a much different team this year had their best player Austin Nichols not transferred out to Virginia and doing it in the middle of last summer gave Pastner no time to compensate. Imagine Kemba bolting before his last season at UConn but waiting until July or August to let anyone know. That next season would have been a whole lot different.

But as others have stated some of the bottom feeders in the AAC need to step up their coaching games. UCF would seem like a dream destination for recruits and an ambitious up and coming coach but that's a program in need of a builder with some kind of track record to attract at few 3-4 star athletes to start laying the foundation.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Keep in mind Memphis would be a much different team this year had their best player Austin Nichols not transferred out to Virginia and doing it in the middle of last summer gave Pastner no time to compensate. Imagine Kemba bolting before his last season at UConn but waiting until July or August to let anyone know. That next season would have been a whole lot different.
Yeah let's compare a player who just dropped 52 in an NBA game last month to Austin Nichols.

Reaction Score
Yeah let's compare a player who just dropped 52 in an NBA game last month to Austin Nichols.
Not saying they are the same caliber just saying losing either at the last second would have a huge impact on the following season but go ahead and snipe away.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
Donnie Jones is out

Shockied.gif

Drew

Reaction Score
honestly UCF needs to go out and get a big time coach. If they could get a big name coach with some ties they could be pretty good in the future. Jones underachieved tremendously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom