Anyone else still pissed? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Anyone else still pissed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
You really need help posting pictures! :D
I agree... but if I could make a billboard of that pic, I would.

I feel like we used to be able to resize pics in the text box, am I wrong?

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Probably should just went with the second picture. The first is not so flattering.

Also, try and indicate the subject. Now that I am a father, my pop culture portfolio is not as diversified beyond the sporting world and I don't get to read US Weekly or People as often. ;)
No excuse...I've got an 8 year old , 3 year old, and 9 month old... I can still pick out a beautiful woman when I see one (without make up and wearing hideous Louisville gear and all).

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Gotta prioritize. Some are better multitaskers than others. I fall into the latter category. Can handle two, maybe three if I really stretch it, things at once. ;)

You may notice that I rarely post after 6:00 or on weekends. That's because I'm probably chasing the kid around the house.

No excuse...I've got an 8 year old , 3 year old, and 9 month old... I can still pick out a beautiful woman when I see one (without make up and wearing hideous Louisville gear and all).

Reaction Score
Does a phone call beat a meeting if you are trying to close a deal, particularly if the opposition is actively pursuing the close? When it gets down to the short strokes being there is often critical.

Of course a cell phone doesn't beat a meeting. And you know that Manual turned down how many face to face meetings that he could have had from Storrs as opposed to the USVI? Or you just think he would have helped turn votes if he kicked doors down of people who didn't want to meet with him?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Don't you know that the decision was unilateral? Mr. Manuel actually choose not to invite himself into the ACC.
Of course a cell phone doesn't beat a meeting. And you know that Manual turned down how many face to face meetings that he could have had from Storrs as opposed to the USVI? Or you just think he would have helped turn votes if he kicked doors down of people who didn't want to meet with him?

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
What Manuel apparently should have been doing :

wm say anything.jpg

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Part of the reason for my optimism about something happening on the conference front is that UConn has stepped up with reasonably big salaries for Ollie and Diaco that are competitive with middle to lower level P5 schools. You don't increase expenses as revenues are declining unless you have some visibility into revenues turning around in the short to intermediate future.

That means that Herbst believes some combination of:

1) The Big 10 is continuing to evaluate expansion within 5 years and UConn has a reasonably high probability of being invited,
2) the ACC is continuing to evaluate expansion within 5 years and UConn has a reasonably high probability of being invited, and
3) the AAC will be able to meaningfully increase its revenue in the short term (next 2 to 3 years).

Without one or two of those 3 happening within 5 years, the UConn athletic program is not viable in its current form. While Herbst blew the sale, i don't think she is an idiot and I am reasonably confident she can count, so she knows we need more revenue. She would not be continuing spending like we had as a Big East school unless she thought we were going to generate more revenue soon.

Reaction Score
Part of the reason for my optimism about something happening on the conference front is that UConn has stepped up with reasonably big salaries for Ollie and Diaco that are competitive with middle to lower level P5 schools. You don't increase expenses as revenues are declining unless you have some visibility into revenues turning around in the short to intermediate future.

1) The Big 10 is continuing to evaluate expansion within 5 years and UConn has a reasonably high probability of being invited,
2) the ACC is continuing to evaluate expansion within 5 years and UConn has a reasonably high probability of being invited, and
3) the AAC will be able to meaningfully increase its revenue in the short term (next 2 to 3 years).

Without one or two of those 3 happening within 5 years, the UConn athletic program is not viable in its current form. While Herbst blew the sale, i don't think she is an idiot and I am reasonably confident she can count, so she knows we need more revenue. She would not be continuing spending like we had as a Big East school unless she thought we were going to generate more revenue soon.

Have you looked at state spending vs revenue? Maybe the gov and legislators know that companies and people are about to come back to Connecticut

Reaction Score

Very good post.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

We can only hope that this is the case. Regardless, it is far more productive for us to look forward to "accentuate the positive and eliminate the negative" as Johnny Mercer would say. Rehashing old threads trying to afix blame to Warde or Susan, or PP, or the lawsuit against BC or whatever, is pointless and counterproductive. Unless one of you has a Tardis and knows how to use it, all we can do deal with the reality as it exists today, try to improve it for tomorrow.

Reaction Score
As cited before, the first super-conference was going to be the Metro Conference in 1990. They would have went to 20 and UL would have been included. So would have been BC and other Big East members. UConn would probably be in the A-10 if that happened.

Considering 20 was the number those schools had in mind, we'll be fine. It's really a toss-up between the ACC and B1G. The high end schools in the ACC make up for Louisville Community College.

No matter what we say about Providence College, at least one of their people (Gavitt) saved us. And helped us turn into what we are. To me, that makes the ACC and Hockey East more appealing since our present tradition is with those schools.

Yeah, I know the B1G is old but some of the ACC represents new blood. FSU football started in the 1947. They would have been in the proposed Metro Conference, too.

Last edited:

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
If I remember correctly, WM and SH said they would wait by their phones and not push anything.

Reaction Score
Once again, this is an interesting discussion, but it doesn't get us anywhere. What is happening now and what are the immediate plans for the future? That's all that is important.

Nelson did touch upon a critical point, however. Without P-5 conference revenue, UConn might have to change its approach to intercollegiate sports. The extra $20-30mm/yr (or more) of P-5 conference member payouts that we are missing will put the athletic department in a hole. (Not to mention, the ridiculous composition of the AAC will make recruiting more and more difficult.) I believe the state will tolerate it for a short time only. I know we have the BE breakup money for the near term, but that will diminish soon. If we are not in a P-5 conference shortly, there probably will be pressure to de-emphasize sports at the D-1 level. As far as looking to the AAC for increased payout - good luck with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom