Anyone else still pissed? | The Boneyard

Anyone else still pissed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's bothered me pretty much every day since I turned on the TV and saw Warde Manuel in the Virgin Islands the day MD/RU went to the B1G. Posters like Fishy were defending him on here and honestly you had no clue what you were talking about.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Not sure what the point of this thread is. UCONN is never going to the ACC because they have way too many enemies who will always vote against them for various reasons (BC, Miami, Fruit, football schools). We are improving our profile for a B1G invite that, if it comes, won't be for another 1-5 years. Where Warde Manuel was a few years ago has absolutely nothing to do with UCONN's conference situation. If you want to blame anybody, blame the "leadership" who were in place before Susan Herbst and Warde Manuel were hired. Jeff Hathaway's Paul Pasqualoni hire and APR failure and past Presidents' failures to expand the campus/student body/endowment are the reasons why we are where we are today. I understand your angst but these posts/threads blaming our AAC affiliation on our AD being in the Virgin Islands with one of his teams are starting to get tiresome.

Reaction Score
If you think these threads are too tiresome don't read them. Also if you don't think it's important for the AD of one of the 2 schools under consideration to be working day and night (for a very short period) to avoid this very situation we're in you're crazy.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
It's bothered me pretty much every day since I turned on the TV and saw Warde Manuel in the Virgin Islands the day MD/RU went to the B1G. Posters like Fishy were defending him on here and honestly you had no clue what you were talking about.
I'm continually pissed that the number of football season ticket holders hit its high in 2005 and we couldn't regularly sell out a 40k seat stadium during 4 8+ win seasons.

Reaction Score
If you think these threads are too tiresome don't read them. Also if you don't think it's important for the AD of one of the 2 schools under consideration to be working day and night (for a very short period) to avoid this very situation we're in you're crazy.

The is old ground - accurate, but yesterday's news. I remain pissed, but I try not to dwell on it. I want to know what SH, WM and the BOT are doing now to right the ship on CR. While we won't get that info, let's hope to hell they are getting up every day and spending quality time on this issue.

Dooley

Reaction Score
I want to know what SH, WM and the BOT are doing now to right the ship on CR.

Lots of this stuff goes on secretly so that nobody will know what is being discussed. But here are some things that UCONN has done in the past few years to increase their profile for the B1G...

SH:
1. secure state funding in upwards of $1.5B for expansion to Storrs campus, research facilities, venue upgrades
2. hired a fundraising coordinator who raised over $1B to Emory's endowment
3. replaced Jeff Hathaway (quite possibly the worst AD of all-time) with Warde Manuel
4. soothed tensions with UCONN's biggest booster and even serves on his corporate board of advisors
5. began an aggressive faculty hiring spree in a time when most companies/schools are trying to downsize (more faculty = more students = more money)
6. expand satellite campus to downtown Hartford (planning stages)

WM:
1. ushered in the Hockey East era and hired Matt Cavanaugh
2. fired Pasqualoni (again, thanks Hathaway) and hired Bob Diaco and gained positive national news for it following a lousy 3-9 season
3. extended Kevin Ollie to the delight of every single Husky fan and player
4. helped secure financial backing to construct a much needed on-campus basketball facility
5. beefed up scheduling in both football (BYU, Boise St, Rutgers?, Yankee Stadium game against Army) and basketball (Florida, Barclay's game against MD, MSG pre-season tourney)
6. extended Geno

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
The 7,000,000 threads we already had about this just weren't enough eh?

Reaction Score
I agree with you on that. Whether it is correct or incorrect, it is the perception that has been given that has gotten to people like me. Given the recent info re the Louisville AD's out maneuvering and out hustling the UConn AD it is easy to see how one as stupid as me can see can be duped in to believing that our AD was asleep at the wheel.

Reaction Score
Did anyone read Dooley's post? Uconn IS making moves. Uconn was the most logical choice for the ACC. We fit in every way, but shockingly it wasn't to be. What could have been accomplished by WM cutting his vacation short other than giving the perception that he was doing something from his office versus what he likely felt could be accomplished from his beach chair? Uconn was not a hard sell and who would have thought the ACC would lower its standards to select Louisville? Has it all come down to athletics without regard to the institution? Uconn is making a statement by improving both the institution and athletics. Now it is up to athletics to succeed and for the State of Connecticut to embrace them. Diaco says it can be done and although I am not ready to fully believe it yet, I am excited about the direction we are heading. There is no reason at this time for looking back at what could have been and being miserable about it when the what can be is still doable.

Last edited:

Limbo Land

Pounding Down the Doors!
Reaction Score

Louisville was the only choice this time around that was going to happen. Again really bad timing for Uconn with Louisville doing so well and our unfortunate situations. Still was never going to be our time with football being the number one reason to add on.

Reaction Score
Is it fair to blame our conference predicament solely on Ward? No, of course not.

Would I have been on an island while the last round of CR was going on? Absolutely not! If for no other reason than appearance. That Ward didn't seem to appreciate that concerns me a bit, because he either got blind sided or he's inept with PR.

Jury is out on him as far as I am concerned.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Well... if it's Warde's fault that he was in the USVI where both BB teams were playing tournaments, and he also had plans to hobnob with other ADs including Wake (we can make what-if scenarios where FSU was playing that tournament instead of Wake), then let's also assign blame to Tom Jurich for being on vacation in Colorado when Texas hired Charlie Strong.

@coachingsearch
Louisville AD Tom Jurich: "I think Charlie had made up his mind by the time I got in there (to meet)."

Reaction Score
Oh look this thread again.jpg

Dooley

Reaction Score
Did anyone read Dooley's post? Uconn IS making moves. Uconn was the most logical choice for the ACC. We fit in every way, but shockingly it wasn't to be. What could have been accomplished by WM cutting his vacation short other than giving the perception that he was doing something from his office versus what he likely felt could be accomplished from his beach chair? Uconn was not a hard sell and who would have thought the ACC would lower its standards to select Louisville? Has it all come down to athletics without regard to the institution? Uconn is making a statement by improving both the institution and athletics. Now it is up to athletics to succeed and for the State of Connecticut to embrace them. Diaco says it can be done and although I am not ready to fully believe it yet, I am excited about the direction we are heading. There is no reason at this time for looking back at what could have been and being miserable about it when the what can be is still doable.

Bingo. The ACC Presidents were allowed to be swayed from selecting UCONN to Louisville because of a few factors that UCONN and Warde Manuel have absolutely zero control over. First of all, the conference as a whole but specifically BC, Miami, and VT will always hate UCONN for the ludicrous lawsuit filed in Connecticut by Connecticut's Attorney General after they left for the ACC. Because it was allowed to be filed in CT by CT's AG, it is widely viewed by people within the ACC that UCONN was ringleader in organizing this lawsuit even though Pitt was on it and people from Cuse were more vocal. Because most people in the ACC think the lawsuit was initiated by UCONN, they will ALWAYS have enemies. BC is sore that Father Leahy was named on it and Miami is still so sore that Pres Herbst is rumored to have tried to use Bill friggin' Clinton to get Donna Shalala to return her phone calls. Not to mention, BC is well documented and on record as wanting New England as "their turf" and they view UCONN on equal conference footing as a death strike against their athletic programs (one of the reasons why they were so quick to leave the Big East for the ACC in the first place). BC will ALWAYS pioneer efforts to block UCONN, even if it means inviting a community college academic like Louisville.

Second, timing shockingly had a very big impact on UCONN being passed over. Maryland leaving the ACC for the B1G caused a fair amount of panic amongst ACC Presidents that football powers like FSU and Clemson and conference heavyweights like UNC and UVA would leave for other conferences. So, in order to appease the football schools of the conference like FSU, Clemson, Miami (who already hates UCONN), GT, and VT, the conference Presidents were allowed to be swayed by the anti-UCONN wing to invite Louisville Community College. This was enough to get FSU, Clemson, UNC, and UVA to sign their GOR to lock them in. Louisville deserves some credit because both football and basketball programs have enjoyed good success at the last realignment song and that was enough to divert ACC President's gazes away from their 160-something ranked academics with a "everyone gets in" 96% acceptance rate. UL made a great hire in Charlie Strong and UCONN made a horrendous hire in Paul Pasqualoni/George DeLeone (thanks Jeff!) and they parlayed that into being successful on the field, expanding their football stadium, and getting an ACC invite. I think some ACC Presidents must have felt that Strong (and Bridgewater) was going to stay at Louisville forever and that they could never have another Steve Kragthorpe era at the same time thinking UCONN would never fire Pasqualoni and we could never have another Edsall type of era. The ACC expanded with a flavor-of-the-day addition (Louisville was better than UCONN in 2011-12) and did not focus on long-term objectives (TV market, academic standards, athletic success). That's very scary for the long-term health of the conference. When UL stinks again (and they will stink again because like I always say, sports are cyclical), I want to hear those ACC Presidents jump up and down and explain how Louisville is a good, contributing member of the conference. They play second fiddle within their own state, boast some of the worst academics in the country, play in a smaller TV market than UCONN, and are in poor financial shape once they stop cooking the books on the YUM Center revenue.

This is why UCONN and the fanbase needs to forget about joining the ACC. It will NEVER happen. Too many enemies (BC, Miami, VT, football schools who hate northeast football because of, ironically, BC) and hurdles to overcome to get an invite. The ACC has had their fair share of opportunities to invite UCONN and they haven't. It wouldn't have mattered if Warde Manuel was on Mars when Jurich successfully lobbied for their ACC invite, we weren't getting an invite. If it wasn't UL, it would have been Cincinnati, USF/UCF or somebody else. UCONN's AAC escape pod will or will not come in the form of the B1G conference that they are clearly angling. If the B12 comes calling first, UCONN would jump there too but I think that's a longer shot than the B1G. At this point in the game, it's in UCONN's best interest to angle for a B1G (or B12) invite instead of an ACC simply to get into a better conference than BC and the Fruit's ACC. The B1G would be a better fit for UCONN anyway. Academics are MUCH stronger, much more stable, northern based climates, and they have like-minded universities (large state flagships) that make up the majority. In my mind, it's B1G or bust for UCONN. And you can guarantee that if Jim Delany flirted with UCONN at their next expansion, both Warde and Susan will NOT be in the Virgin Islands, on the moon, or anywhere else other than lobbying tooth and nail for a B1G invite. That's where they both want to be (and UCONN fans should too) and seeing Rutgers and Maryland get invites only gives UCONN that much more hope that our shoulder will tapped too.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The 7,000,000 threads we already had about this just weren't enough eh?
Is one potato chip enough?

To answer nyc's question, I believe that it was a missed opportunity and that both WM and SH were so confident that we were the next in line that they chose a dignified silence over stumping. By the time they realized that is was a horse race, Louisville was too close to the finish for us to catch them. I don't think that they'll make that mistake again.

Last edited:

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score

To answer nyc's question, I believe that it was a missed opportunity and that both WM and SH were so confident that we were the next mind that they chose a dignified silence over stumping. By the time they realized that is was a horse race, Louisville was too close to the finish for us to catch them. I don't think that they'll make that mistake again.
I think so. As long as we're rehashing the stuff that's been rehashed many times before...

It's probably accurate to say WM and SH were confident before the time of the ACC's (The) Decision. After the B1G grabbed Maryland, the UConn media twitterverse and also the Louisville and ACC twitterverse seemed unanimous that the ACC was leaning heavily towards adding UConn. Why was this? Probably the Tobacco Road contingent were confident in their ability to get their choice (UConn) and assumed FSU wouldn't throw up roadblocks. I think it's safe to assume that SH received assurances from contacts at Tobacco Road schools (one of which, Wake, had their AD in the USVI) that UConn was far enough ahead. Eventually this info leaked to the media. But the process wasn't done in a day, it took a week or two and it wasn't until a few days before The Decision that it was clear that UConn had a Louisville (and FSU) problem. For the most part there weren't a ton of leaks coming from UConn, I don't think, but the one thing that did leak was that they were confident in the first week and then desperate in the final hours when it became clear the ACC politics had been underestimated - both by Herbst and by the NC schools that were behind UConn.

What hasn't come to light is what else UConn was doing behind the scenes while Jurich was publicly lobbying (and he had to do it publicly given they started from behind). Jacobs reported last minute attempts to reach Shalalalalala. There may have been other contacts made through back channels but those haven't been revealed, so Husky nation assumes SH/WM were sitting around twiddling their thumbs for that week. But it's worth keeping in mind - some people who engage in sensitive conversations get pi$$ed when those communications get printed in the paper. So (speculation) it might be that the people at UConn want to maintain those relationships in case there's a need for them in a couple years.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score

To answer nyc's question, I believe that it was a missed opportunity and that both WM and SH were so confident that we were the next mind that they chose a dignified silence over stumping. By the time they realized that is was a horse race, Louisville was too close to the finish for us to catch them. I don't think that they'll make that mistake again.
no, but 7,000,001 surely is.

Reaction Score
Is it fair to blame our conference predicament solely on Ward? No, of course not.

Would I have been on an island while the last round of CR was going on? Absolutely not! If for no other reason than appearance. That Ward didn't seem to appreciate that concerns me a bit, because he either got blind sided or he's inept with PR.

Jury is out on him as far as I am concerned.

An ounce of image is worth a pound of performance...so long as results can be ignored.

Reaction Score
UL's president was in the Bahamas with their basketball team.

Reactions: pj
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104