Anyone else see this? (re. Vic Shaffer) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Anyone else see this? (re. Vic Shaffer)

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
Yes they do. My wife is a big sports fan. Watches almost everything, but cannot stand Miss St football because of the distraction of the bells. I think the opponents struggle to call signals as a result. Cheering is one thing, but that cacophony is unsportsmanlike. They play pretty good football, and should not resort to that crap. One thing we do not need is more cowbell. BTW, those horns are bad too. :eek:

SEC rules don't allow us to ring just before or during plays and I would say this rule is followed very well so the bells are not affecting the signal calls. We cheer pretty loudly once the ringing stops, but the bells are not part of it. The scoreboard even prompts fans when to ring and when to yell.

BTW, thousands of cowbells is music to MSU fans ears, but I do understand the dislike from others.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
SEC rules don't allow us to ring just before or during plays and I would say this rule is followed very well so the bells are not affecting the signal calls. We cheer pretty loudly once the ringing stops, but the bells are not part of it. The scoreboard even prompts fans when to ring and when to yell.

BTW, thousands of cowbells is music to MSU fans ears, but I do understand the dislike from others.

My beef with it is that the rest of us in the SEC aren't allowed to bring artificial noisemakers. For years, I had a vuvuzela (though we didn't call them that, then) that I took to football and basketball games, but that was before we were in the SEC. I'm sure the people that sat near me were delighted when that rule came about.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Since this thread has been somewhat hijacked by the noise factor:

I’ve lived twice with Huskies (the real animals, not students) in my neighborhood and as lovely as they are, gracious but were they howlers! Maybe not enough occurrences to meet statistical standards but I concluded that this vocalizing is a trait of the breed.

If so, we have inventive folks on this board. Can someone invent a Husky Howler instrument that we can deploy, at least at our football games?

Reaction Score
I've stated before I'm a fan of Vic Schaefer. I respect him as a man and a coach. I don't mind a puff piece, a homerglory piece from a hometown rahrah booster. But before we call Vic "an", or the most important ambassador for WCBB let's have him win at least one championship first okay?
Agree completely!
And I don't think he will do it this year either, and then he will be faced with rebuilding and we will see what that reveals. They still haven't even won their own conference championship!!
If somehow, they can beat Geno and U Conn again, then he's moving to the echelon of the current top coaches but without the years of winning and championships.
Bronx23

HGN

Reaction Score
No big deal..............It's a piece on a SEC coach , who reportedly, touts another former SEC coach. I wouldn't have expected.
the article to tout another conference coach. Especially , say Geno. Or even MM for that matter.

I didn't take offense to the article.............The article is biased but I would expect the same if it was a Storrs written piece.

Reaction Score
I apologize if this has already been posted. I couldnt find a thread discussing it, and wondered what others think of it.

Charitably, it's a case of the headline writer taking liberties with the story. The headline makes it seem like Shaffer has re-invented women's basketball. The story is more about the great job he has done at Miss. State. Nothing especially revolutionary about his hard work, IMHO.

How Vic Schaefer has revolutionized Women’s College Basketball

I'm not sure which is worse: this writer's atrocious writing skills, or his lack of class.

"He has taken the Bulldogs into a new stratosphere and is changing the game for the best right before our very eyes, ultimately becoming a predominant figure on and off the hardwood." Run-on sentence much? Care to edit? And "into a new stratosphere"? Just how many "stratospheres" are there?

"...but the game’s new face stands tall with a passion..." Huh? How does a "face stand tall with a passion"? What the heck does that mean? Can anyone visualize that? And "changing the game for the best"? Huh? Not for the better, but "for the best"? Awkward and mystifying.

But we cannot ignore the writer's, Andrew Robert Kovac, lack of class: "college basketball has been devoid of an ambassador since the late great Pat Summitt.." So the man who has won more national championships than any coach in WCBB history is scrubbed from history? His records for consecutive wins, consecutive conference championships, consecutive road wins, most final fours, who is the epitome of grace and sportsmanship, is out of sight and out of Kovac's mind?

No class. None.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
My big noise dislike is rocky top being played at every time out in Knoxville. after two quarters, I couldn't stand it.

Hell, I can't stand Rocky Top when I turn on a TV to watch the LVs get beat. Hit mute every time they play it.

cabbie191

Reaction Score
Bugs Bunny homer.jpg

I like Schaefer and respect what he's done. Article for my taste, though, is an absolute over the top homer - but that's okay, too, I suppose.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
View attachment 29160

I like Schaefer and respect what he's done. Article for my taste, though, is an absolute over the top homer - but that's okay, too, I suppose.

No, with all due respect to the nice spirit of your post, it's not okay.

It was an ignorant (of the subject matter), juvenile, badly written and useless piece of junk. There, I said it.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
Agree completely!
And I don't think he will do it this year either, and then he will be faced with rebuilding and we will see what that reveals. They still haven't even won their own conference championship!!
If somehow, they can beat Geno and U Conn again, then he's moving to the echelon of the current top coaches but without the years of winning and championships.
Bronx23

At 16-0, they won the SEC Championship pretty convincingly this year. I think you meant the Tourney. I'm fine with the 16-0.

And Vic rebuilt State when he arrived. The culture is set now. He'll have to build back up to Top 10 caliber, but I expect us to be Sweet 16 caliber next year. We have the likely SEC player of the year returning with a very experienced PG and a redshirting 5 star backing her, and we'll play enough D to beat a lot of teams.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
At 16-0, they won the SEC Championship pretty convincingly this year. I think you meant the Tourney. I'm fine with the 16-0.

And Vic rebuilt State when he arrived. The culture is set now. He'll have to build back up to Top 10 caliber, but I expect us to be Sweet 16 caliber next year. We have the likely SEC player of the year returning with a very experienced PG and a redshirting 5 star backing her, and we'll play enough D to beat a lot of teams.

And might I had he built it from almost nothing...I remember attending games where it was free to get in and there were still only a few hundred fans at the games.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
I've stated before I'm a fan of Vic Schaefer. I respect him as a man and a coach. I don't mind a puff piece, a homerglory piece from a hometown rahrah booster. But before we call Vic "an", or the most important ambassador for WCBB let's have him win at least one championship first okay?
But not anytime soon, I hope...............................................

cabbie191

Reaction Score
No, with all due respect to the nice spirit of your post, it's not okay.

It was an ignorant (of the subject matter), juvenile, badly written and useless piece of junk. There, I said it.

Sure it was - but to my mind, that's kind of what homerism (the ignorance and perhaps juvenile nature) is usually about! :)

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
But not anytime soon, I hope............
Well, as much as I admire Vic he hasn't even won an SEC championship yet. Based on that fact alone Dawn has revolutionized WCBB to a far greater extent than Vic.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
Well, as much as I admire Vic he hasn't even won an SEC championship yet. Based on that fact alone Dawn has revolutionized WCBB to a far greater extent than Vic.
So far he has emulated Muffet, who in 2011 and 2012 spoiled UCONN's trip to the finals without closing the deal in the following game.

Reaction Score
Dynasty? Go get a title and then we'll talk. Same crap Duke touted in the Gail G. years. They're still waiting.

Reaction Score

It's too early to tell, but I'm wondering if State will have the shooters to surround McCowan with next year. MSU loses 3 40% three point shooters to graduation next year. Who comes in to open up the floor for McCowan? I'm think she's going to be seeing a lot of double and triple teams next year.

I'm thinking the top 5 in the SEC next year will look like:
1. SC
2.Texas A&M
3.Missouri
4. Miss St
5. Georgia

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
It's too early to tell, but I'm wondering if State will have the shooters to surround McCowan with next year. MSU loses 3 40% three point shooters to graduation next year. Who comes in to open up the floor for McCowan? I'm think she's going to be seeing a lot of double and triple teams next year.

I'm thinking the top 5 in the SEC next year will look like:
1. SC
2.Texas A&M
3.Missouri
4. Miss St
5. Georgia

As little as MSU's non-starters have played, I have to think they didn't have a lot in the bullpen this season. If McCowan doesn't have help from good shooting and ball handling guards, they will have a very long season because McCowan can't create her own shots.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
MSU has talent on the roster outside of their starting 5... it’s just VERY young and inexperienced. State’s team this year is a case study in how player development and experience can make good players into very good/elite players. Next year, State goes from a veteran core of 4 senior guards surrounding a junior post to a senior post surrounded by sophomores and juniors. That experience matters. Next season, I think MSU will look very much like SC has looked for most of this year. I don’t expect them to fall off the face of the earth.

Next year, barring injury.. SC’s backcourt should take a major step forward. Lots of juniors and seniors... so it’s kinda like the teams trade places.

I’m not ready to rank teams in the SEC yet although I feel confident SC will be a top 3 team next season. I predict McCowan, Cunningham and Carter will compete for SEC POY. Ty Harris will likely be the best true point guard in conference. I think UGA will be a top 4 team.. and Tennessee will still underachieve with the most talented roster (based on # of McDAAs)...

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom