Anyone else see this? (re. Vic Shaffer) | The Boneyard

Anyone else see this? (re. Vic Shaffer)

Reaction Score
I apologize if this has already been posted. I couldnt find a thread discussing it, and wondered what others think of it.

Charitably, it's a case of the headline writer taking liberties with the story. The headline makes it seem like Shaffer has re-invented women's basketball. The story is more about the great job he has done at Miss. State. Nothing especially revolutionary about his hard work, IMHO.

How Vic Schaefer has revolutionized Women’s College Basketball

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
I apologize if this has already been posted. I couldnt find a thread discussing it, and wondered what others think of it.

Charitably, it's a case of the headline writer taking liberties with the story. The headline makes it seem like Shaffer has re-invented women's basketball. The story is more about the great job he has done at Miss. State. Nothing especially revolutionary about his hard work, IMHO.

How Vic Schaefer has revolutionized Women’s College Basketball

I don't mind a SEC puff piece about a coach who really does deserve a lot of praise for the hard work he has put in. And, like you I would agree it is the result of hard work and really smart coaching and as always, a little bit of luck. But hardly revolutionary.

In fact the only part of the piece that offended me was the first sentence.

"Women’s college basketball has been devoid of an ambassador since the late great Pat Summitt, but the game’s new face stands tall with a passion, and his name is Vic Schaefer."
(Mods is this one line quote OK? If not delete the post.)

As a UConn and Geno fan I find that is offensive. Geno has been the best promoter and ambassador for WCBB that I could imagine.

Last edited:

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I don't mind a SEC puff piece about a coach who really does deserve a lot of praise for the hard work he has put in. And, like you I would agree it is the result of hard work and really smart coaching and as always, a little bit of luck. But hardly revolutionary.

In fact the only part of the piece that offended me was the first sentence.

"Women’s college basketball has been devoid of an ambassador since the late great Pat Summitt, but the game’s new face stands tall with a passion, and his name is Vic Schaefer."
(Mods is this one line quote OK? If not delete the post.)

As a UConn and Geno fan I find that is offensive. Geno has been the beat promoter and ambassador for WCBB that I could imagine.
I don't think that many fans/people in SEC country would agree with your post, except maybe Dawn Staley.

I am assuming that you meant "best" promoter...

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I've stated before I'm a fan of Vic Schaefer. I respect him as a man and a coach. I don't mind a puff piece, a homerglory piece from a hometown rahrah booster. But before we call Vic "an", or the most important ambassador for WCBB let's have him win at least one championship first okay?

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
I don't think that many fans/people in SEC country would agree with your post, except maybe Dawn Staley.

I am assuming that you meant "best" promoter...

Thank you, best is what I meant to write.

And except for the really orange SEC fans, I think even they (non Tenn Sec fans) will admit that he is the face of coaching in WCBB.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Thank you, best is what I meant to write.

And except for the really orange SEC fans, I think even they (non Tenn Sec fans) will admit that he is the face of coaching in WCBB.
I would like to think that. I think that Vic appreciates Geno but I am not sure about any other coaches/teams, mainly due to my lack of familiarity with the other teams even though I have watched a lot of games on the SEC Network.

Reaction Score
I've stated before I'm a fan of Vic Schaefer. I respect him as a man and a coach. I don't mind a puff piece, a homerglory piece from a hometown rahrah booster. But before we call Vic "an", or the most important ambassador for WCBB let's have him win at least one championship first okay?

Even if he were to win one championship.......let's see how he does in the next years without his really good senior class..................

Reaction Score
In the comments of the article, even the MS fans were a bit more realistic about the ambassador statement:

"But this young man needs to study his women’s basketball history and be a bit more realistic. Miss State has a long way to go to become the kind of sustained program as other teams have achieved in the past. I’m talking about La Tech, Tennessee, Baylor, and especially U Conn in recent years. He calls Vivians the best player in the US but A’Ja Wilson is named the best player in the SEC, 3rd year in a row. McCowan was named co-defensive player of the year. Congratulations to her. She and Vivian make up two of the eight players making all SEC.
Nationwide, U Conn had three players on the pre-season All American team. There’s going to be a lot of competition to make first team All American in 2018. U Conn is also undefeated. I’ll be happy if we get two players on the first three teams."

Reaction Score
“Women’s college basketball has been devoid of an ambassador since the late great Pat Summitt...”

Hmmmm...

As other teams rise to prominence in in their respective leagues, so do their fans' enthusiasm. Throughout, Geno has been the face of WCBB, encouraging all teams and all leagues to reach higher standards of performance.
Muffit McGraw once said Pat Summit was the last dignified ambassador of our sport. But she was angry at the war of words she started, without her intended result. Geno has resisted being drawn into any competitive controversies, setting a proactive example for his players and the rest of our Title IX communities.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Even if he were to win one championship..let's see how he does in the next years without his really good senior class...
Well, he's done pretty good with less HS AA's so far.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Even if he were to win one championship..let's see how he does in the next years without his really good senior class...

I was gonna post this.

Even he pulls off another flat out miracle (and yes, thats what it was, and still would be this year), he's losing a TON after this year.

Calling MSU, or frankly anyone, a "likely dynasty" is really tough. You can look across sports and see "likely dyansties" that completely fell apart.

the late 90s to 2000 Rams, the 1990s Braves etc.

Reaction Score
Well, he's done pretty good with less HS AA's so far.

Absolutely true.....................that's to be admired......................still Vivians was ranked number 24 by ESPN but has proven to be far better then projected............. she is a singular talent, the great equalizer for Miss State the past four years...................the question is what is the team going to be like without her and the other players he's counted on so heavily..................are they going back to just being a competitive team or are they going to continue to be in the hunt for the SEC championship and the NC?

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Well it is published by “for whom the cowbell tolls. Com”.

Of course Storrs is also a bovine center...
Those cowbells are the most irritating gimmick in all of sports. Going to one of their football games is a hazard to one's auditory health. They are even a distraction on televised games. Thank the lord they are not permitted at the basketball games. I like the coach, I like the way they compete, but I hate those darn cowbells. To compare that to the pastoral bliss that is Storrs is udderly ridiculous! ;) A false and pernicious equivalency! You get a Bronx cheer for this! :D

Reaction Score
Those cowbells are the most irritating gimmick in all of sports. Going to one of their football games is a hazard to one's auditory health. They are even a distraction on televised games. Thank the lord they are not permitted at the basketball games. I like the coach, I like the way they compete, but I hate those darn cowbells. To compare that to the pastoral bliss that is Storrs is udderly ridiculous! ;) A false and pernicious equivalency! You get a Bronx cheer for this! :D
I didn’t get the cultural reference! I hear cowbells and I think of Christopher Walken!

Reaction Score
The vuvuzela horns at the South Africa World Cup were super annoying - I wasn't there, but they were audible enough on TV to almost keep me from watching. I don't remember seeing a Miss. State home football game on TV - do the cowbells come through loud & clear on the tube?

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Well it is published by “for whom the cowbell tolls. Com”.

Of course Storrs is also a bovine center...

The SEC has a rule against "artificial noisemakers" except for those infernal cowbells.

Edit for above: Yes, you can hear them on TV. I've been to a USC game at State and they are annoying.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
The vuvuzela horns at the South Africa World Cup were super annoying - I wasn't there, but they were audible enough on TV to almost keep me from watching. I don't remember seeing a Miss. State home football game on TV - do the cowbells come through loud & clear on the tube?
Yes they do. My wife is a big sports fan. Watches almost everything, but cannot stand Miss St football because of the distraction of the bells. I think the opponents struggle to call signals as a result. Cheering is one thing, but that cacophony is unsportsmanlike. They play pretty good football, and should not resort to that crap. One thing we do not need is more cowbell. BTW, those horns are bad too. :eek:

Bama fan

Reaction Score
The SEC has a rule against "artificial noisemakers" except for those infernal cowbells.

Edit for above: Yes, you can hear them on TV. I've been to a USC game at State and they are annoying.
Infernal is a very good descriptor of those god forsaken clangers.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom