Anyone Else See The Crazy UK Training Item on ESPN? | The Boneyard

Anyone Else See The Crazy UK Training Item on ESPN?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
After the game, Holly Rowe was holding up a very large metal disc that she said weighed 45 lbs (actually she could barely lift it). She went on to say that the Kentucky coach has them run drills the length of the court and back carrying those discs.

That, to me, seems like a crazy, and probably risky, way to do endurance training. I know that strength and conditioning training has been a very good thing for UConn. But somehow, I doubt that Amanda has them toting tractor trailer hubcaps while they do it.

Could someone out in the BY with more expertise than me (which would be most of you!) please tell me if this is an accepted training method? Or are they nuts? Just curious....

Reaction Score
There was a video of the UConn site awhile back showing a workout UConn was doing. UConn wasn't do the drill Kentucky was said to do. From what I understand that is a once a year competition between the Kentucky women's basketball team and the women's soccer team. That said the video did show the UConn players running with 45 lb. weight plates like the one Holly Rowe showed that are part of every weight room with free weights. I remember the UConn players participating in a relay race where they were picking up plates and running with them as fast as possible.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
There was a video of the UConn site awhile back showing a workout UConn was doing. UConn wasn't do the drill Kentucky was said to do. From what I understand that is a once a year competition between the Kentucky women's basketball team and the women's soccer team. That said the video did show the UConn players running with 45 lb. weight plates like the one Holly Rowe showed that are part of every weight room with free weights. I remember the UConn players participating in a relay race where they were picking up plates and running with them as fast as possible.

They would be better off with kettle balls which can be as heavy and probably safer to grab and hold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc
Top Bottom