Anyone else remember? | The Boneyard

Anyone else remember?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Walking in to the stadium at Michigan and thinking... "I don't know if we are gonna win or lose, but dammit we have a chance..." Good lord that feels like ancient history.

I do! I remember that day like it was yesterday. UCONN bus pulling in, cheering the team as they walked to the stadium. Tailgating with Phelan crew and chatting it up with Leon Kinnard's family. Was definitely an experience that I hope we as a fanbase can have again. Had the same feeling again in Glendale that year.

Also will never forget taking over Notre Dame Stadium and the UCONN chants on the way out.

One thing is for sure, it's going to be a rocking atmosphere if we can get 30,000+ acting like those fans that were at ND.

Reaction Score
Yep - I had high hopes for the Michigan game. That Shoemate fumble early in the game was a killer.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
If I'm not mistaken Vegas had the line at +1 for that one. So yes, I think optimism was very high heading into that game.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Man, watching UConn take on a national program, like Michigan, ND, WVU or South Carolina and expecting to win without the shadow of conference Armageddon and Coach P looming over seems like another lifetime ago.

Reaction Score
Herbie actually picked us to win that game on College Gameday, I was so pumped when I watched that.... I little less excited on the drive back from Ann Arbor

Reaction Score
It's tough to find a reasonable bridge between being optimistic and realistic on this game is it comes to how I feel about our chances of winning. The game is going to be played, and we will have the opportunity to compete and win. That's real.

We have not been 0-3 to start any season since 1991. We have not been 0-3 at home to start a season, in.....I don't know how long.

We have the winningest program in the history of college football, to beat, to avoid that kind of start this year. If you like big time challenges, then this game is for you.

At least it's at home.

Reaction Score
Not to worry....I think PP has something special cooking.

chef_paul.JPG

Reaction Score
Yep - I had high hopes for the Michigan game. That Shoemate fumble early in the game was a killer.

Shoemate fumble was midway through the 3rd Q, inside the Michigan 5, before what would have been a first and goal, with UConn down 24-10. Seven there and for all that went wrong containing Dennard Robinson, and the nerves UConn played with, it was a one possession game with less than 25 minutes to go. Funny Kinnard was just mentioned. The 4th and short with Shoemate carrying was set up by a rotten spot when Kinnard, running the wildcat on 3rd down, looked to convert for a first and goal but got a bad spot.

But yes, I walked from the lumbaryard parking lot to the stadium that day absolutely believing that we were going to win that game. It will not be the feeling I have when I put away my tailgate at 7:30 or so this year.

HuskyBarker

A Tiger is always Hungry!
Reaction Score
Walking in to the stadium at Michigan and thinking... "I don't know if we are gonna win or lose, but dammit we have a chance..." Good lord that feels like ancient history.
Tell me about it! I just popped in a DVD of a game with Donald Brown playing just to remember Husky pride and what it was like to win on the field.... those were the days... sigh. :(

Reaction Score
A few of my friends brought it up last night.....I forgot about some of the things...it seems so long ago traveling to Detroit, Charlotte, Toronto, Birmingham, Phoenix, South Bend, Ann Arbour. Watching solid, disciplined smash mouth football!

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
A few of my friends brought it up last night.....I forgot about some of the things...it seems so long ago traveling to Detroit, Charlotte, Toronto, Birmingham, Phoenix, South Bend, Ann Arbour. Watching solid, disciplined smash mouth football!
I kick myself for missing Phoenix and South Bend. Especially these days. I didn't have the money to go... But if you told me then where UConn football would be in 2013... I'd have found a way to make it happen. Can't take success (such as it was) for granted.

Reaction Score
I kick myself for missing Phoenix and South Bend. Especially these days. I didn't have the money to go... But if you told me then where UConn football would be in 2013... I'd have found a way to make it happen. Can't take success (such as it was) for granted.
I think we as a whole fanbase felt the exact same way...and to me whether you went to those games, or settled down to watch them on tv you are a fan no matter what. It sucks right now but we need to stand by the program ...see this rough patch through. It will make the turn around that much sweeter!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom