OT: - Anyone else obsessed with setback / pitch!? | The Boneyard

OT: Anyone else obsessed with setback / pitch!?

Reaction Score
Definitely a New England card game, anyone else enjoy playing? I’ll play cutthroat, teams, draw, kitty….

If I can’t find any humans to play with in person, I’ll hit the Trickster Pitch app.

Apollo

step back from the ledge
Reaction Score
Definitely a New England card game, anyone else enjoy playing? I’ll play cutthroat, teams, draw, kitty….

If I can’t find any humans to play with in person, I’ll hit the Trickster Pitch app.

I am addicted to this ap

Reaction Score
I was raised in a setback playing family. My father used to play in a league with 4-player teams. A couple of other CT guys and I got a frat at our college hooked on the game.

Anyone else ever play the variation called Southern Setback?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
No disrespect intended: a solid Yes as to obsession, exactly 50 years ago.
Thanks for kindling the warm memory.

Reaction Score
I was raised in a setback playing family. My father used to play in a league with 4-player teams. A couple of other CT guys and I got a frat at our college hooked on the game.

Anyone else ever play the variation called Southern Setback?
We used 2 man teams… how does a 4 man work?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Used to play almost ever day in the student lounge at the Stamford Branch. For money. My partner and I made several hundred a semester. Nobody ever figured out our signals.

Reaction Score
We also played a variation called Petey and Double Petey
The five of trump is worth 5 points in double the fives of the same color were both worth five. We typically played single.
We always played partners and is was a draw however discards had to be face up so you couldn’t dump a lone Petey .
Its kind of like having a lone Jack or Deuce only worth more.
My late father-In-law
drove me nuts as a partner he as he would bid 6 with a lone 5 and expect me to have the high card.
He believed in the long run taking the bid was a huge advantage.
I later became an avid Pinocle Player . No one out here plays setback or pitch.

Reaction Score
I'll say this, being in the Frats {early 70's}, if you weren't studying you were playing pitch/setback. Then we moved to South campus and it just continued. We didn't miss a beat. Always had dorm tournaments. Those were the good old days.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Yeah me and my buddies play whenever we get together, and every so often I'll play with the in-laws. Growing up in West Haven, we mostly played nine-card.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Used to play almost ever day in the student lounge at the Stamford Branch. For money. My partner and I made several hundred a semester. Nobody ever figured out our signals.
SMH. Lucky for you that you were at a branch. That ish didn't fly on the main campus.

People got pounded for table talk; signals got you shot.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
SMH. Lucky for you that you were at a branch. That ish didn't fly on the main campus.

People got pounded for table talk; signals got you shot.
My partner was junior mafia. He might've shot me if I didn't cheat, lol.

Oddly, we never played setback at Storrs. We graduated to poker. Played that straight up and still made out nicely.

Reaction Score
Like playing in person much better but the ability to play with peeps anywhere on the app is awesome. The suggested card play on the app is definitely head scratching at times though.

Reaction Score
Played in college a ton. Kept score on the back of a piece of plywood that protected a table. Wrote random and quotes on the other side.

Play a few times a month with a couple that was in our Covid bubble. Known the guy-half of the couple since college. We draw for teams every time we play to mix it up. Played Friday night, in fact. Would have played last night too as he is housebound after surgery Thursday, but wife and decided to go out instead.

My parents prefer nine-five, but I can’t find written rules anywhere.

Reaction Score
I remember playing this with my family every time we went on vacation. We played setback and a variation we called 9 to 5.

Brings back many good memories.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Until about 19, then I discovered Euchre, then I got a job.

Reaction Score
Played in college a ton. Kept score on the back of a piece of plywood that protected a table. Wrote random and quotes on the other side.

Play a few times a month with a couple that was in our Covid bubble. Known the guy-half of the couple since college. We draw for teams every time we play to mix it up. Played Friday night, in fact. Would have played last night too as he is housebound after surgery Thursday, but wife and decided to go out instead.

My parents prefer nine-five, but I can’t find written rules anywhere.
We play setback because it is simple enough for my friend’s wife to understand and for the other three of us to drink all night and still play without much thinking.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score

Nope.

Reaction Score
We used 2 man teams… how does a 4 man work?
It's regular setback, so each player is dealt 6 cards, four are left in the deck. Players from each team alternate seats around the table, of course. Usual bidding, 2 to 4. Etc, etc.

Sibeerian

Mush on, you Huskies
Reaction Score
Setback and Hearts were the main card games when I was at UConn. Setback was with teams; you could draw cards after trump was named; you could turn in your hand if you were dealt all 3s through 9s; and you could "smudge" for five points (taking every hand between you and your partner).

Reaction Score
We played endlessly when we were growing up. HS study halls, until 4 AM on the weekends, etc. We eventually moved on to Spades, though still play setback from time to time if we want something a little more mindless. Both are great games.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the tip on that app and the amount of time I spent on it in the last day. Nice to know I still got the skills to make a bid on a handful of garbage after all these years.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Skipped too many law school classes 5 decades ago playing set back in the cafeteria for a little bit of cash. Had a pitch league at work during lunch. Taught my kids. A dumbed down version of bridge with many different rules regarding
draw, ability to make points on someone else’s bid and other variations. Haven’t played in a looong time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom