Anyone else notice this similarity to last year | The Boneyard

Anyone else notice this similarity to last year

Reaction Score
Last year Newton and UCONN were excellent at the beginning of the year. At that time Newton was running the show and Andre was hurt and/or playing minimal minutes coming back. Then, Andre came back and was on the ball a lot, and Newton's play immediately took a big step back, and we struggled a bit until Hurley finally put Andre off the ball and UCONN became dominant again.

This year is eerily similar in that Newton started off dominant and the team was awesome, all while Castle was deferring, hurt, and/or not playing as much. As Castle returns and shares time on the ball, Newton has started to struggle, and we look less fluid and less dominant. Hopefully this will be recognized, and Hurley will put Castle into Andre‘s role in the offense off the ball and just let Newton do his thing as lead guard and not play him off the ball in deference to letting Castle play point guard. Newton seems to take a step back when he is not the lead guard, and frankly, Castle isn’t quite up to that role yet anyway. UCONN just doesn't play as well with an offensively challenged pg.

Reaction Score
Or maybe the offense is just better when a guy who cannot shoot and struggles to drive is not handling the ball a majority of the time during a set. It would seem that Castle would be an excellent candidate to be running around screens, and cutting toward the basket, but when he’s not standing at the top of the key, surveying the landscape or setting a so so screen at the top of the key, he’s just standing around waiting to rebound. I think Hurley needs to find a way to get him involved in the offensive flow without him being the lead guard because Newton does not do as well when he isn’t the lead guard, and neither does UCONN.

Last edited:

Poe

Reaction Score
Totally agree. Put the ball and Tristen’s hands and let him create. As good as Castle is, he’s not at Newton’s level yet in terms of shooting, passing, running the show (maybe rebounding they’re even).

Reaction Score
It's not as simple as just putting Castle off ball and setting screens for him to get open. Castle is a hesitant shooter, and other teams scout that and would defend accordingly. Going under every screen, giving him plenty of space, etc. It also affects how the other players on the court are defended. Having a non-shooter parked in the corner increases the effectiveness of help defense, vs where a defender who is covering a strong shooter may not play help D at all.

If you want to make the argument to use him like Andre Jackson, that makes a little more sense. But even those two are far different players and it is a lazy comparison.

In theory, between the two of Castle and Newton, Newton is a FAR better option off ball. Much better shooting ability at this point in time.

Not saying Castle should play point instead of Newton, but it isn't as simple as just sticking Castle off ball.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In the tourney I want to defer to him and let him run the show. In terms of outside shots, Tristan. Driving to the hole Tristan, Free throws Tristan. Castle hoisting 3's could take us out of games. I don't know if Hurley will actuary put a stop to him doing it when it really counts. Thoughts?

Reaction Score
Totally agree. Put the ball and Tristen’s hands and let him create. As good as Castle is, he’s not at Newton’s level yet in terms of shooting, passing, running the show (maybe rebounding they’re even).

Um... Tristen is an excellent rebounding guard, but I would put Castle about 2 notches higher into the elite category for rebounding.

Poe

Reaction Score
Um... Tristen is an excellent rebounding guard, but I would put Castle about 2 notches higher into the elite category for rebounding.
Tristen is averaging 6.6 rebounds, Castle 5.0. Per 40 minutes Newton 8.1, Castle 7.8, per 100 possessions Newton 12.0, Castle 11.7.

I would call that pretty even right now, but Castle has the potential to be a better rebounder given his size and quickness.

Reaction Score
Now that Clingan is back, I think Castle will stop hoisting 3’s. Castle will have more space to drive and throw lobs, so that is what I expect will happen. I’m tired of screaming at my tv, telling Castle to not shoot 3’s. My vocal cords need a break.

Reaction Score
Last year Newton and UCONN were excellent at the beginning of the year. At that time Newton was running the show and Andre was hurt and/or playing minimal minutes coming back. Then, Andre came back and was on the ball a lot, and Newton's play immediately took a big step back, and we struggled a bit until Hurley finally put Andre off the ball and UCONN became dominant again.

This year is eerily similar in that Newton started off dominant and the team was awesome, all while Castle was deferring, hurt, and/or not playing as much. As Castle returns and shares time on the ball, Newton has started to struggle, and we look less fluid and less dominant. Hopefully this will be recognized, and Hurley will put Castle into Andre‘s role in the offense off the ball and just let Newton do his thing as lead guard and not play him off the ball in deference to letting Castle play point guard. Newton seems to take a step back when he is not the lead guard, and frankly, Castle isn’t quite up to that role yet anyway. UCONN just doesn't play as well with an offensively challenged pg.

less dominant but were beating Creighton by 22 at one point and have won 6 in a row?

Reaction Score
Or maybe the offense is just better when a guy who cannot shoot and struggles to drive is not handling the ball a majority of the time during a set. It would seem that Castle would be an excellent candidate to be running around screens, and cutting toward the basket, but when he’s not standing at the top of the key, surveying the landscape or setting a so so screen at the top of the key, he’s just standing around waiting to rebound. I think Hurley needs to find a way to get him involved in the offensive flow without him being the lead guard because Newton does not do as well when he isn’t the lead guard, and neither does UCONN.
Are you saying Castle struggles to drive? From what I've seen Castle gets wherever he wants while handling the ball and has been a very good finisher. Just trying to understand your post.

Reaction Score
January is a time to put guys in roles and see what they can do. Castle like Jackson last year is getting a chance to grow and for Hurley to observe. Just like last year, everyone will settle in to their rolls by tournament time. Also, Newton was on the outs with Hurley during that stretch and it affected his play. Hurley and him banged heads and there was an adjustment. I think it came to its peak after the Big East tournament loss when Newton passed up an open look to get the ball to Hawkins to take the last shot. Hawkins couldn’t get open and we know how that worked out. I think Newton was afraid to take that last shot because he was told it would be Hawkins. I think after that debacle Hurley and Newton worked it out and Newton played much better the rest of the way. Just my observation worth less than two cents..

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The similarity is Hurley and his staff figuring out how build a team based on returning talent, new talent and emerging talent and get players comfortable in their roles.

The continuity on the staff is what is trending towards a program rather than a team.

Reaction Score
Are you saying Castle struggles to drive? From what I've seen Castle gets wherever he wants while handling the ball and has been a very good finisher. Just trying to understand your post.
No, he is shown he is capable of it, has flashes, but he has not shown that can get whatever he wants. He's been a pretty good finisher when he gets in, but it's not a given.

He's advanced as a frosh in defense, rebounding, passing, and bbiq. He's very valuable and definitely a plus player, but creating his own offense is not a strength for him, at least not yet. You can tell the talent and ability is there, but he's not there yet.

If that does click for him this year, it's going to make them absolutely scarey.

Reaction Score

You must have been listening to my conversation with the wife after the game. See it exactly the same, last year it took a bunch of loses for Hurley and crew to figure out the change needed on how to use Jackson which then also reduced the posting up by Adama. Castle is more willing to drive and shoot but still not the guy who demands attention outside so clogs inside and hinders getting solid picks to open other shooters.

Reaction Score
Newton is struggling during conference play just like last season. It's a very different whistle in the Big East.
Fortunately a few others are picking up the slack after having seen the January struggles a year ago.
I would imagine that Newton is thrilled to be off the ball occasionally to get a break. Being constantly under ball pressure has to be exhausting.

Reaction Score
It’s extremely premature to say when we’re playing Karaban at the 5 half of the games. I do think Newton is a much better off ball guard than he is a primary ball handler, and Hurley has done a good job utilizing that skill set as best he can.

Reaction Score
Castle's problem is he isn't aggressive enough when he has the ball. He can drive with the best of them if he wants. He isn't AJ as far as driving who didn't have those moves near the basket to finish off stuff. AJ would just try to fly over people.

Reaction Score
We have yet to see the Stephan Castle we will see in March. Our most talented player. I wonder what Scheirman thinks of the blanket Steph put on him.

pj

Reaction Score
We just played our best game of the year against Creighton, so it's hard to see why something is broken.

Even if it is, your diagnosis is off. Stephon and Andre are totally different players. It was problematic to have the ball in the hands of a single-threat guy who couldn't shoot. Whereas Castle is a 2.5-threat guy and still developing. We've had great success with two point guard lineups in the past (Kevin-Doron, Khalid-Ricky, etc) and the onus is on Tristen if he has NBA ambitions to be able to play alongside an NBA-caliber guard.

We can't just hand the ball to Tristen and say do your thing, everyone has to develop their roles to make this the best possible team.

Reaction Score
less dominant but were beating Creighton by 22 at one point and have won 6 in a row?
Thank you. I actually think the original post was really insightful, but if you didn’t know that we were the #1 team in the country despite just being healthy as a team for the first time, you wouldn’t guess it from this thread.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Thank you. I actually think the original post was really insightful, but if you didn’t know that we were the #1 team in the country despite just being healthy as a team for the first time, you wouldn’t guess it from this thread.
Too many reaching for a hot take when the play is the same as last year, sit back and enjoy the ride.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I'm seeing nothing but good. We're badass

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member