Anyone else not into the bowls? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Anyone else not into the bowls?

Reaction Score
BC and Boise State playing in the "ServPro First Responder Bowl" in the Cotton Bowl in Dallas and the place is empty. What's the point? The bowl system is in the bizarro world lacking any regional match-ups.

Reaction Score
What's a bowl game?

Tip: don't ask ServPro, Boise, or BC. They don't know either.

The First Responder Bowl has been canceled. That’s … a first?
3:23 PM - 26 Dec 2018
The game was in a lightning delay of over an hour. It was in the first quarter when it was halted. It’s officially a no contest, meaning Boise State finishes the season at 10-3 and Boston College finishes the season at 7-5.
Congrats to Steve Addazio for not finishing 7-6 for the fifth time in his six-year tenure as Boston College head coach.

Reaction Score
I would guess 95% of Temple and Duke fans don't even care about this game, much less any national perception. Just like a 6-6 Wake Forest winning against Memphis is irrelevant.

With that logic there's really no point in Duke or Temple having a football program at all.

Reaction Score
With that logic there's really no point in Duke or Temple having a football program at all.

It's not mutually exclusive to have a Duke football program and for Duke fans to not care about playing Temple in a meaningless exhibition, and vice versa. Just like it's okay for UConn to have a football program and UConn fans not care about 75% of the AAC schools/games. This is evident by tickets sales for the minor bowl games thus far and UConn ticket sales the last few years.

Reaction Score
Tip: don't ask ServPro, Boise, or BC. They don't know either.

The First Responder Bowl has been canceled. That’s … a first?
3:23 PM - 26 Dec 2018
The game was in a lightning delay of over an hour. It was in the first quarter when it was halted. It’s officially a no contest, meaning Boise State finishes the season at 10-3 and Boston College finishes the season at 7-5.
Congrats to Steve Addazio for not finishing 7-6 for the fifth time in his six-year tenure as Boston College head coach.

I know some BC aluni who actually bought tickets and flights for this game. They are not happy. Yes, the weather was bad at kick-off and was going to be worse later int he afternoon; but, why they could not move the kick-off to say 8 or 9 PM after the storms blews through was unknown to everyone. The excuse that its unfair to players to be taped-up all day, hadn't eaten, etc. from both coaches was assine. With both teams there already, I bet the players would have played whenever. Best guess, it was a TV issue that caused it to cancel. BC is refunding everyone their tickets with a few otehr benefits kicked in.

Boston College will refund First Responder Bowl tickets | Boston.com

Reaction Score
At one time I loved football - both playing it and watching it. My interest in watching it has declined precipitously with conference realignment. I only watch UConn and NFL playoff games, and now rarely at that. With two daughters and no light at the end of the UConn tunnel, I don’t see that changing any time soon.

I still love throwing a football, though.

Reaction Score
Anybody else notice what seems to be an inordinate number of turnovers so far in the bowl games? At least that I have seen. Is this just really good defense or poor offense or a combination of both?

To remain more on topic, I haven't watched a game from beginning to end but I have still paid some attention to the more prominent players on each team for NFL draft purposes (Raider fan here).

Reaction Score
The bowl season has degenerated significantly and the product seems to be getting less and less interesting. CFB desperately needs an expanded playoff system to put some relevance back into the game.

Reaction Score
the real bowls were pre bowl season.

Alabama vs LSU....Alabama vs Georgia, Alabama-Auburn, Ohio State vs Michigan, Ohio State-Penn State, WVU vs Oklahoma, Michigan vs Notre Dame...

Until the playoff games and New Year 6 bowls...not a heck of a lot to see.

Reaction Score
I have no interest in the bowl games or the college football playoff for that matter. The break between the college football regular season and the playoff is ridiculous. I have moved on to the UConn basketball season and Uconn hockey season. I have no interest in watching anybody but UConn.

Reaction Score
It's not mutually exclusive to have a Duke football program and for Duke fans to not care about playing Temple in a meaningless exhibition, and vice versa. Just like it's okay for UConn to have a football program and UConn fans not care about 75% of the AAC schools/games. This is evident by tickets sales for the minor bowl games thus far and UConn ticket sales the last few years.

My point is, if the bowl is a meaningless exhibition, then what are their other games? Bowl games have never been intended to sell tickets; they're all about capitalizing on exposure and building momentum heading into the next season. Is it as important as a conference championship, obviously not, but they're just as important as the game between Miami and Georgia Tech to determine who finishes 5th in the ACC Coastal.

Auburn is beating Purdue 42-7, two minutes into the second quarter. You don't think they like the optics there? You don't think this is a good day for Auburn football?

Reaction Score
Anybody else notice what seems to be an inordinate number of turnovers so far in the bowl games? At least that I have seen. Is this just really good defense or poor offense or a combination of both?

To remain more on topic, I haven't watched a game from beginning to end but I have still paid some attention to the more prominent players on each team for NFL draft purposes (Raider fan here).

I recognize poor offense, but what in the heck is good defense?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The birth of my first son coincided with conference realignment. I don't know if it was the chicken or the egg, but the only college football I've even remotely cared about this year has been the FCS playoff game between NDSU and SDSU. I tried to watch Maine at Eastern Washington, but the red field was giving me a headache.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Have there been any games that were remotely competitive? Feel like I’m watching 1 seed vs 16 seed every two put a game on

Reaction Score
I have no interest in the bowl games or the college football playoff for that matter. The break between the college football regular season and the playoff is ridiculous. I have moved on to the UConn basketball season and Uconn hockey season. I have no interest in watching anybody but UConn.

I agree, I have nointerest if UConn is not playing but I am watching Cuse v WV game hoping the Orange lose. Shoo, shoo, Orange flu. A chant we use to cheer against Tenn. woman. I detest Cuse fans.

Reaction Score
Auburn is beating Purdue 42-7, two minutes into the second quarter. You don't think they like the optics there? You don't think this is a good day for Auburn football?

Yes! Huge win for Auburn. Beating 6-6 Purdue improves national perception of Auburn's football program.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Good games yesterday, especially the night cap of Wazzu and ISU.

Definitely gearing up for a full afternoon and evening of football.

Bonus is Mrs. Diesel is out of town. No nagging, no nothing.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
The market has become over saturated with bowl games. Most are meaningless.

Today's two games, Clemson vs ND and Bama vs OU, are worth watching.

My option becomes finding a good movie whether on cable or Netfliks or other sources.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The market has become over saturated with bowl games. Most are meaningless.

Today's two games, Clemson vs ND and Bama vs OU, are worth watching.

My option becomes finding a good movie whether on cable or Netfliks or other sources.

Have you seen Bird Box yet?

Reaction Score
Not anymore. Use to be that New Years Day WAS college football nirvana. Sugar Bowl, on NBC, then Cotton Bowl, with CBS's Lindsey Nelson, and his jackets. BOUT 4;30 PM or so, NBC came on with the 'GRAND DADDY OF ALL BOWLS..................The Rose Bowl, with all it's glitz and splendor. Around 8:00 pm, we were treated to the flash and spectacular show of the Orange Bowl. I can recall the pre-game was a sight. Then the game. For us in the northeast, we got the chance to see 4 games with 8 teams, most of us never got a chance to view. Oh yes, some of us were able to watch some games from the mid-west, ie. Big Ten, or maybe even a Big 8 game, maybe ever an important game from the Pac-8 conference. But mostly we saw middle of the road games. Even for some of us, the high point was the ARMY-NAVY game, when it was something. Bowl Season started around New Years. Maybe a little earlier, say Christmas week, but mostly those were second tier bowl games. Nope, New Years Day was the BIG DAY. Sidelight, for most of us UCONN fans, by this time, football was a distant memory, since, as we, or many of us recall, the Yankee Conference was a low interest conference. By now basketball was already in full swing, and our interests were with the Hoop Huskies. Nope, to this old person, New Years day was College Bowl Game day.
END OF RANT.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom