anyone else have a real concern about the future of UConn basketball? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

anyone else have a real concern about the future of UConn basketball?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The demise of Big East basketball is being entirely overstated. Big East basketball is and will be nowhere near A-10 or CUSA status for at least a few years. Memphis and Temple are strong additions from their respective conference. Temple has a long tradition of basketball success. Memphis gets great support and is recruiting extremely well. Both can replace team's like Pitt and WVU without losing much at all. All Pitt ever did was beat up the rest of the league and flounder in the Tournament.

I'd also caution throwing current teams into the mid-major category without looking at where they're are headed. St. John's under Lavin is building an excellent program. I expect a top 6 finish in the league this year and nothing near mid-major status for quite a while. This team is by, very deep and talented if young. USF has been getting progressively better. Cincy has stepped up under Cronin and has become a tourney contender yearly. Even Rutgers who has never had a winning Big East record, finally has a pretty good coach and much deeper roster than in the past and should see improvement.

This league still has a lot of powerful programs, is adding some very good programs and existing ones are rapidly getting better with good young coaches and recruiting. As a basketball league, Big East will be extremely competitive for a while.

Reaction Score
Quite honestly, this is an indirect way of trying to get the fan base upset with JC by making the contention JC forced the issue of hiring KO. I think a better argument could be made that all the issues you are making regarding UConn, would be the result of Jeff Hathaway. if Jeff had been any good at making selections for coaches, he would not have selected PP, the football program wouldn't be losing to mid majors, and the bb program wouldn't have any urgency associated with it even by the one or two people who want to use any argument they can to criticize JC as the only reason for KO's hire.

So I say to you, even if JC had been the sole reason for KO being hired, an argument I strongly disagree with, there is no guarantee WM or UConn could do any better with a national coaching search as demonstrated by the track record of PP. There is absolutely no benefit to stir up trouble before the season has even begun. The only benefit is to repeat over and over again the selection was JC's doing in the attempt to create the subconscious idea that if KO fails JC was the fault. When it comes to making repetitive arguments with the purpose of creating an illusion that something is a fact, you are a rank amateur. You could take lessons from chief.

From my perspective, It is quite interesting that someone who is quite intelligent and articulate, as you are, can be pathetic in this process as compared to someone who is .......
This is not anything to do with Jim Calhoun really. I tdoesn't have anyhting to do with hathaway or the current performance of our football program. You want to blame someone blame the guy who decided not to play D1 back in 1950. Or maybe Mike Trangeshe who to this day doesn't get the importance of football. This is about the direction of the Big East. And the fact that there is zero we can do about it. And that all these football decisions are, in my estimation going to have a significant backlash on our basketball program. That Calhoun is leaving now compounds the risk, I think, but it is the difference going forward between being Xavier and being, well UConn, over the past 20 years. In a 2nd tier conference, as the Big East is likely to become by being shoved outside the Big 5 power leagues, it is much harder to be relevant nationally. Over time, it is quite possible that Xavier becomes the ceiling.
This isn't about Kevin Ollie either except to the degree that he cannot get off to a slow start, or be allowed more than a minimal learning curve. So he is under huge pressure. But that would be the case with almost any new head coach. There might be a few, Sean Miller, Brad Stephens, John Calipari type guys, (and no, I'm not advocating hiring Calipari)guys who already have made reps for themselves, who could get away with a bit of a learning curve. Because as a Big East team, we just won't be considered on the same level as the power programs and everything from hiring coaches to recruiting to getting NCAA bids, to getting home games against the North Carolinas of the world just got more difficult, and again, it doesn't have anything to do with basketball...it is the blowback from the football generated decisions.

Reaction Score
This thread is embarrassing. We have 3 national championships in the bank (same as Kansas) and some of you are comparing us to Butler.

I don't care if we leave the Big East for a better conference, or our new commish adds some basketball powers to our current conference. I don't want to be in a mid-major. We will need to play one of the toughest nonconference schedules year-in, year-out in case we are on the bubble. WE ARE NOT MEMPHIS, XAVIER, UNLV, GONZAGA, OR, GULP, BUTLER!!!! WE ARE COLLEGE BASKETBALL ROYALTY (or close to it). We should aspire to be better than these programs on a yearly basis. We should be sitting at the table with those who are closest to us.

So, obviously I am concerned. But only with the conference situation.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Here you go scooter. Just hold tight to this and everything will be alright.

33125.155-2T.jpg

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
This thread is embarrassing. We have 3 national championships in the bank (same as Kansas) and some of you are comparing us to Butler.
I'm not sure if you were referring to me, but when I mentioned schools like Memphis, Butler, Gonzaga, VCU, etc. i was referring to programs who have had strong coaches and done well in crap conferences. Obviously I think we are an elite program but in the long run our conference affiliation could hurt the program if we end up in a crappy situation... BUT having a strong head coach negates most all of the problems associated with being in a crappy conference... IMHO...

Reaction Score
I'm not sure if you were referring to me, but when I mentioned schools like Memphis, Butler, Gonzaga, VCU, etc. i was referring to programs who have had strong coaches and done well in crap conferences. Obviously I think we are an elite program but in the long run our conference affiliation could hurt the program if we end up in a crappy situation... BUT having a strong head coach negates most all of the problems associated with being in a crappy conference... IMHO...

Rest assured our conference affiliation will change. UConn is desirable to other conferences, but it's just going to take a little time. We won't be part of the BE in 2 years

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Rest assured our conference affiliation will change. UConn is desirable to other conferences, but it's just going to take a little time. We won't be part of the BE in 2 years
Well I think 99.99% of UCONN fans hope you are right.

Reaction Score
As my grandmother used to say, from your lips to God's ear...but many of these folks are whistling past the graveyard.
they don't get what the impact of this will be. How many true power programs play in mid-major conferences?

Reaction Score

Who is going to take Uconn? I think the Big 4 have grown as much as they will grow. At a certain point there's nowhere to go. Only team I can see being snatched is Louisville. I don't see why the 4 major football conferences nor the ACC would want to expand even more and share more revenue.

Fact of the matter is that at some point, the law of diminishing returns kicks in for these conferences. I don't see the Big 12 looking to raid the Connecticut football market any time soon. The only hope is/was the ACC IMO and they are more likely to take a school like Louisville with some geographic commonalities. They already got their fill of the northeast wi Pitt and Cuse and IMO would likely grab Rutgers before Uconn.

Unfortunately some schools won't crack the Big 5. I think their expansion is close to done.

Reaction Score
Who is going to take Uconn? I think the Big 4 have grown as much as they will grow. At a certain point there's nowhere to go. Only team I can see being snatched is Louisville. I don't see why the 4 major football conferences nor the ACC would want to expand even more and share more revenue.

Fact of the matter is that at some point, the law of diminishing returns kicks in for these conferences. I don't see the Big 12 looking to raid the Connecticut football market any time soon. The only hope is/was the ACC IMO and they are more likely to take a school like Louisville with some geographic commonalities. They already got their fill of the northeast wi Pitt and Cuse and IMO would likely grab Rutgers before Uconn.

Unfortunately some schools won't crack the Big 5. I think their expansion is close to done.

There is a reason you only have "1 like"

Reaction Score
There is a reason you only have "1 like"

People tend to dislike de facto discussion when it doesnt jive with their theories, but I'm all ears for a different scenario. I for one would love to see Uconn stay in the Big East and I think that is probably what will happen. I wouldn't put money on anything at this point, but I don't see what other "better" league will stretch to add Uconn.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
If we get the basketball practice facility built and KO gets it done, I don't see conference affiliation mattering that much to the modern high school player, who all are looking to showcase their skills for a year before the NBA. TRADITION matters most to kids who stick for 3-4 years. Melo doesn't even know what the other teams in the BE were, except maybe UConn and Gtown.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
This is not anything to do with Jim Calhoun really. I tdoesn't have anyhting to do with hathaway or the current performance of our football program. You want to blame someone blame the guy who decided not to play D1 back in 1950. Or maybe Mike Trangeshe who to this day doesn't get the importance of football. This is about the direction of the Big East. And the fact that there is zero we can do about it. And that all these football decisions are, in my estimation going to have a significant backlash on our basketball program. That Calhoun is leaving now compounds the risk, I think, but it is the difference going forward between being Xavier and being, well UConn, over the past 20 years. In a 2nd tier conference, as the Big East is likely to become by being shoved outside the Big 5 power leagues, it is much harder to be relevant nationally. Over time, it is quite possible that Xavier becomes the ceiling.
This isn't about Kevin Ollie either except to the degree that he cannot get off to a slow start, or be allowed more than a minimal learning curve. So he is under huge pressure. But that would be the case with almost any new head coach. There might be a few, Sean Miller, Brad Stephens, John Calipari type guys, (and no, I'm not advocating hiring Calipari)guys who already have made reps for themselves, who could get away with a bit of a learning curve. Because as a Big East team, we just won't be considered on the same level as the power programs and everything from hiring coaches to recruiting to getting NCAA bids, to getting home games against the North Carolinas of the world just got more difficult, and again, it doesn't have anything to do with basketball...it is the blowback from the football generated decisions.
Fair enough. To answer your initial post differently, I save my concerns for things I can change. Since I have no input regarding who gets hired I'll just sit back, watch and hope for the best. As I've stated in other posts, JC has exceeded my expectations to last me three lifetimes. Ask me how I feel after my third reincarnation.

Reaction Score
Simply put from what I can see, if KO survives and thrives in this job UConn hoops never goes away no matter what their affiliation is. Maybe the other conferences will watch for a year or 2 to see his impact with JC leaving before they ask.....who knows.....but I believe if KO can keep the "UConn family" together that JC built there will never be an issue in Storrs regarding basketball........

Reaction Score
Did anyone think Calhoun was going to coach forever?

That is the SOURCE of our Basketball prowess. Our NCs. This Mid-major stuff is crap. Look at what the Pac 12 is doing in hoop ... are they above the BE? We need to stop with the whining. But I know ... after being around this board for awhile ... some of you can't help it. You deserve the stuffed animal to chew.

I also like the point of what OUR money bought us in a Search for a Football coach. There are no guarantees a Brad Stevens or a Shaka Smart is coming this way. I like that Calhoun wanted to place his trust in Kevin. He has done so many thing right in 27 years ... just maybe this is another. His batting average has been excellent.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
I do not know much about who the OP is, but this topic is one that might be presented by one consumed with conspiracy theories. In the spirit of full disclosure I've been a UConn fan since I was a small boy long, long ago. I've stayed with them through thick or thin, being a champion was not a condition for my fandom, which means I'm one of those fans that provides consternation for the OP. On the other hand, UConn's success means plenty of bandwagon fans gathering over the years that might be as concerned as the OP wants us to be. Anyways, back to the similarities of this topic with conspiracy preoccupation.

First, one preoccupied with conspiracy theories have to string together many unproven assumptions. In this case the following have all been concerns of the OP:

1. UConn won't assimilate into a power conference, even though Herbst wants to do that.
2. The Big East will fall to mid-major status, even though it does not want to.
3. A mid-major conference won't support basketball powerhouses, even though there are plenty of exceptions (Louisville remained a powerhouse right up until it joined a major conference, though we must assume a major conference is never on the horizon for UConn via points 1 and 2).
4. UConn might fail at having a suitable coach for a powerhouse, even though it wants one and even if a mid-major can support a powerhouse for at least a good while.
5. The fans aren't demanding enough for a powerhouse program, even though by now there are plenty of entitled fans in a rich state.

Yes indeedy, there are enough unproven assumptions here to make a think tank proud! But that alone does not a conspiracy conscience make. They all have to point to something that the concerned people can do nothing about except complain for the sake of stirring some type of undefined action by the masses.

Some of points 1-5 may be true; they may all be true. The odds are against all of them being true, but you never know. There may be some conspiracy theories that are true as well. Still, I for one will resist the conspiracy conscience because, quite frankly, its paralyzing effect does not do much for one's quality of life.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I don't think the conference situation hurts basketball as much as it hurts football. With the NCAA tourney, any team can make it's mark because as long as UConn is in a decent conference, it will get bids and get the opportunity to win. In football, the small playoff structure makes it imperative to be in a power conference.

As far as the coaching situation goes, we kind of knew we would be here, didn't we? With a new practice facility on the way I don't see a drastic drop in the offing. KO should do a good enough job to keep us amongst the top schools as far as recruiting and that will ensure our run amongst the elite.

Reaction Score
No conspiracy theories here. I'm talking about the reality of where we find oursleves today. In a second tier conference. the New big East isbetter than the PAC 12...whoop de damn do...it won't be in perception and it likely won't be in terms of presitige and money. And you watch what ESPN does to the Big East relative to the ACC, and other conferences...You've seen it in football for years, but they can do it in basketball too. Playing up the power of the expanded ACC vs the Big East. Here's the reality, not what you wish it was or want to pretend it is...You have to go back to 1999 to find a national champion who did not play 1A football. And even then, UConn was already in the process of upgrading. You have to go back to 1990 to find another one. You have to go back to 1990 to find a national champ who was not from a D1 BCS conference. Butler went to the finals twice, which maybe shows that it is possible, but might have been more of a fluke, especially in 2011 when there was maybe more parity than has existed ever, or put another way, no dominant teams. But before Butler, and Memphis in 2008 which was vacated for cheating, you have to go back to 1998 to find a finalist not from a major conference. From 1998 through 2012, exactly 3 teams form non-power conferences played for the title, and one of those cheated to get there. Thems the facts, folks. And the Big East just got relegated to minor league status. It means you generate fewer dollars, which effects everything from your abiltiy to schedule games to travel to ability to hire a coach.

As far as Calhoun goes, I get why he retired when he did. I only say it is unfortunate. Makes maintaining a major presence far more tricky. Maybe Ollie steps in and doesn't miss a beat. But nobody can guarentee that. I hope so, because I have been following UConn since Dee Rowe was the head coach. I know what its like to be a fan of a power team and to be a fan of a md-major. Power is definitely better.

Reaction Score
Well good post. A bit sad, but life is like that.

I'll put it this way.

It's absolutely very possible that we just lived through the 25 year golden age of UConn basketball, and that now, Rome is being sacked by the Vandals and the Goths. It may linger on as a Byzantine - a presence, to be sure, but not the empire it once was.

And, if that's the case, then that's how it is, and, while not my preference, I'm okay with it.

Because I personally got a hell of a lot of enjoyment out of being part of the Empire for 25 or so years, and I know that, as a fan back in 85ish with zero expectations, the run I got to enjoy was one that very, very few fans have ever enjoyed.
I tend to agree with you. I'm thrown into deep depression every time I see what is happening to UConn by realignment, but I'm old and won't have to put up with it much longer. I absolutely detest what ESPN has done to the college conference landscape. Maybe they aren't behind it, but that haven't helped very much considering they are based here. Tools like Mark May should be shown the door for his bashing. If it comes down to the haves and havenots, let's just say they'll never make a nickel off me watching anyone besides UConn. If everyone in every Big East market did the same, we'd leave a mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom