Anyone else foresee Red Shirt season for Brianna Banks? | The Boneyard

Anyone else foresee Red Shirt season for Brianna Banks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
With the scheduling of ACL repair having been delayed to accommodate other concerns and considering the normal range of recovery-time for that injury, it might be in BBs and the team's overall best interests if she were to enjoy an extra year of college life.

Thoughts anyone?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I doubt that will be her goal. Unless there are problems in her rehab such as scar tissue and additional clean up I would expect her to be onboard.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
Yeah, with next year's roster so drastically thin, removing a valid piece to that puzzle doesn't seem like a good idea unless they think she will not contribute within that time. Being the athlete she is, recovery could be quick.

HGN

Reaction Score
I don't see a redshirt for BB next year...........IMO , she will want to play. She worked hard in the past offseason to get herself ready. And I think she will do the same this year too. Plus , with the added pressure of only having 9 scholarship players available for next year (2013-2014), UConn doesn't have the luxury of sitting her.

Let's just keep praying she can make a rapid recovery because she is surely needed.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
With roster size, not likely if all goes well. The reports are that the ACL was the only damage and while the surgery has been put off, some of the 'rehab' work has already started. She may not be ready until mid-season, or on limited minutes earlier, but I suspect no red-shirt.

Reaction Score
Assuming 9 mos. time to recover fully, BB playing next season is certainly possible, based on a simple calendar count. She is obviously young, athletic, and she will have capable, experienced medical/rehab care. She also plays for UCONN where players perform at the upper limit of capacity every day in practice and on game day.

I guess this means several elements of recovery will need to work out just right. If I understand correctly, there is a certain tension between too rapid and too slow rehab for acl tears. The question remains: On which side of that equation is it better to err?

I do not know the answer to that.

Reaction Score
Very doubtful - unless there is some major setback. Many players return from ACL surgery in 6-7 months, and the great majority are back in less than 9 months. Thus it wouldn't be a surprise to see her practicing in October. I doubt she will be at 100% for the November games, but there's no reason she can't be at 100% for much of the season.

Reaction Score
Next year UCONN will only have nine scholarship players counting Brianna so I highly doubt that she will red shirt as long as there is any chance that she will return sometime next year.

Reaction Score
Very doubtful - unless there is some major setback. Many players return from ACL surgery in 6-7 months, and the great majority are back in less than 9 months. Thus it wouldn't be a surprise to see her practicing in October. I doubt she will be at 100% for the November games, but there's no reason she can't be at 100% for much of the season.

Many ? Adrian Peterson and ?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
With the scheduling of ACL repair having been delayed to accommodate other concerns and considering the normal range of recovery-time for that injury, it might be in BBs and the team's overall best interests if she were to enjoy an extra year of college life.

Thoughts anyone?
I you mean take a medical redshirt, Unfortunately that's not an option. Brianna was playing in her 21st game of the season when she was injured. In order to take a medical redshirt, she would have to have played less than 20% of the games on UConn's schedule.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Nan addressed the question w.r.t. this season. I agree with others about next season--the roster is too thin and she should be ready by January if not October. Only if there are complications do we even think of it. We needed her on Monday, and we a lose Caroline and Kelly and add Saniya for next year. We need another guard. We need her skills.

Fishbone

Chief Lurker
Reaction Score
I you mean take a medical redshirt, Unfortunately that's not an option. Brianna was playing in her 21st game of the season when she was injured. In order to take a medical redshirt, she would have to have played less than 20% of the games on UConn's schedule.
I believe the proposal is to red shirt next season, leaving 2 years of eligibility for 2013/2014, and 2014/2015 seasons.

Reaction Score
Barring complications, I get the feeling that the plan is for Brianna to come back next year. And the amazing thing is, even if Brianna is at 80% in October, with MoJeff and Saniya, the slowest guard on the team is likely to be Bria Hartley. How many teams can boast that their slowest guard is an AA?

We are a lucky group of fans. :)

Reaction Score
If Geno, Rosie and the medical staff say she is good to go, she will play. If not, she won't. One thing I have learned about watching Geno coach for 20 years (that I have been a fan) he is not about to play anyone coming off a knee injury if he has any question about whether it is in the PLAYERS best interests. Short bench or not.

Reaction Score
Many ? Adrian Peterson and ?

Thousands of athletes return in 7 months or less from the date of surgery. When my daughter tore her ACL, her orthopedist told her to expect to be back in 6 months. She was actually back starting in games in 5 1/2 months. Back to 100% in 7 months.

I won't do the research for you, but there are TONS of players who were back within 7 months of surgery. I'll throw in one for free: Jessica Moore had ACL surgery on April 23rd 2004. She was back to practicing in October and played her first official game on November 16th 2004. And here's another: American's starting SG Blake Jolivette had ACL surgery in July and played 26 minutes in a game on December 18th. Five month recovery.

As I said, there are many thousands. If you would guarantee to make a $20 donation to charity for each one I identify, I'd be happy to identify a lot of them.

Reaction Score
In view of the 9 scholarship roster, and BB's talent, my guess is that all who are directly concerned are assuming BB's recovery will be in the normal-to-rapid range of >6 months. Were that not the case, I doubt surgery would have been delayed for as long as it has been. Players are allowed to have tutors, right? Thus, there are means to help adjust to study and classes requirements other than delay in the procedure.

At this point in the thread, I'm thinking it's more likely than not that BB will play next year, assuming only a complication-free acl recovery process.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
In view of the 9 scholarship roster, and BB's talent, my guess is that all who are directly concerned are assuming BB's recovery will be in the normal-to-rapid range of >6 months. Were that not the case, I doubt surgery would have been delayed for as long as it has been. Players are allowed to have tutors, right? Thus, there are means to help adjust to study and classes requirements other than delay in the procedure.

At this point in the thread, I'm thinking it's more likely than not that BB will play next year, assuming only a complication-free acl recovery process.
Yes, but the beginning of the semester is a challenging time to miss in many classes.

Reaction Score
Thousands of athletes return in 7 months or less from the date of surgery. When my daughter tore her ACL, her orthopedist told her to expect to be back in 6 months. She was actually back starting in games in 5 1/2 months. Back to 100% in 7 months.

I won't do the research for you, but there are TONS of players who were back within 7 months of surgery. I'll throw in one for free: Jessica Moore had ACL surgery on April 23rd 2004. She was back to practicing in October and played her first official game on November 16th 2004. And here's another: American's starting SG Blake Jolivette had ACL surgery in July and played 26 minutes in a game on December 18th. Five month recovery.

As I said, there are many thousands. If you would guarantee to make a $20 donation to charity for each one I identify, I'd be happy to identify a lot of them.

many and the great majority ? what percentage

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score

Thoughts anyone?

No. She is needed and I believe that she will be ready to go. And, she will want to play

Reaction Score
many and the great majority ? what percentage

I doubt there are published stats, but anyone who has followed this closely knows the great majority return within 9 months. There has to be a significant problem along with the torn ACL for that not to happen. Something like a bad tear in the meniscus, some sort of nerve damage, broken bone, etc. Something that delays or impedes rehab.

It's becoming more common for players to return in less than 6 months if there is a reason to return that quickly.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Sorry, I don't think need will come into it.
If she's healthy, she'll play
If not, she won't, with the possibility of redshirting.
Real simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc